Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey All:

So I took the Challenger to the mountains yesterday for Ice Cream. This is the first time I have had it up there since I got it. Now I noticed something..... When I was breaking on a Hill (going downward) I felt the brake pulsing.... and would shake the steering wheel a bit.

Now Im sure there is something wrong, so I tried to see if I felt it any other time, but nope just breaking. The car stayed straight on the flat ground and never floated into the other lane...

So heres the Stupid question........

What is it? Is it the Rotors? Should I take it in , and get Chrysler to Over charge me for everthing, or can a local garage or even me do this repair??

·
Registered
398 Posts
Usually when you get pulsing brake pedal, it's because you have warped rotors from being heated too high and or too often. Brakes aren't one of the things under warranty so it might be on your dime.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Usually when you get pulsing brake pedal, it's because you have warped rotors from being heated too high and or too often. Brakes aren't one of the things under warranty so it might be on your dime.

Ok that kinda what I thought... So what kind should I get... Do I have to get ones for an RT, would a SE be the same? Is there ones that will last longer if so where do i get them and how much

·
Premium Member
1,572 Posts
You've got warped rotors and the only way to fix this is by resurfacing them. This problem sometimes can be mitigated by not putting excessive brake pressure on the brake pedal after they've been heated up (like coming down mountain roads). So if you've been hard on the brakes, the last thing you want to do is come to a stop and hold the brake pedal down real hard to make sure the car doesn't roll. This will remove heat from the rotors from the area where the pads come in contact with the rotors and will cool down quicker the rest of the rotor surface thereby distorting or warping the rotor face.
Its a good idea if you've hard on the car especially in breaking that you drive the car around for a bit and try not to come to a stop until the brakes cool down a bit or you will run into this.
This is why when you bed new pads you brake hard to heat them up and impregnate material on the rotor surface and in the final step you drive the car around to cool them down. The only difference is that you're doing this purposely.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.