Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own a 2010 R/T Auto and I was wondering if you all had any knowledge on the best way to get to that 1000hp mark on pump gas and maintain its daily driveability. I just want to start thinking about this so that my other modifications to the car do not go to waste when I am ready to pull the trigger and get this done. I know the list will be long Just trying to get an idea as too what exactly I am getting myself into.

·
Registered
2017 challenger hellcat A8
2,001 Posts
I think you need to decide exactly what your definition is of daily drive ability is. There was a great you tube video circulating around several years ago by a person discussing his eventual quest for a 1,000hp supra. He covered his build over several years as he was never satisfied with each horsepower increase. He made his goal and he also noted that the car had become such an unpleasant vehicle to drive that really all it was useful for was for car shows, racing, repairing and saying he had a 1,000hp car. I suspect it would be cheaper to get a used Hellcat and build from there then to start with your R/T because essentially every mechanical, cooling, suspension, pollution, computer will have to be replaced or custom built.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
In all honesty, I want to be able to pull up to a drag strip run a 10 or 9 and go get take a girl out to dinner later that night that is a goal.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
In all honesty, I want to be able to pull up to a drag strip run a 10 or 9 and go get take a girl out to dinner later that night that is a goal.
Buy a Demon it will be cheaper and more reliable while doing exactly what you want.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
My first question would be, how much are you willing to spend? You'll at least have enough invested to easily get a newer (if not new) Hellcat. I too would start there, at 700, and see how you like that first. Much easier to get to 1000 out of that later. I don't get having a seriously modded '10 R/T with absolutely no jump in value unless you really love the car and will be keeping it for the long term. Also, a mod like that will most assuredly spawn gremlins that will drive you nuts requiring more money and service/repair down time. Make sure you have a backup beater to drive :)

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My first question would be, how much are you willing to spend? You'll at least have enough invested to easily get a newer (if not new) Hellcat. I too would start there, at 700, and see how you like that first. Much easier to get to 1000 out of that later. I don't get having a seriously modded '10 R/T with absolutely no jump in value unless you really love the car and will be keeping it for the long term. Also, a mod like that will most assuredly spawn gremlins that will drive you nuts requiring more money and service/repair down time. Make sure you have a backup beater to drive :)
I want the project of it more than anything else I have a beater and I live less than a mile from work so that isn't a major issue. I want to be working on it 24/7 and be a hobby of mine. Possibly getting the Hellcat would be smart but the idea of a stock looking 2010 pulling up to the line and smoking demons and the like just rubs me the right way...

·
Registered
2013 Challenger SXT
1,221 Posts
All my opinion:

Go buy a hellcat, 1,000 hp R/T just won't happen for the average guy with no abilities to work on cars, if your asking for the most reliable way to a 1,000 hp then that tells me you have no idea or skills in engine building and what it takes to get there and this will require someone else to do all the work and this will cost more than a hellcat. On top of that mid 10's and mid 9's ( your 10 or 9 statement above) there is a big difference in hp and car prep, 10's are pretty easy to run, low 10's and 9 's are harder and requires a few more 100 hp and more suspension and car prep work. With you just throwing out 10 or 9's also tells me you have no idea what it takes to run these numbers.

Sounds like to me this is a problem, give a guy a 10 second street car with no knowledge and he be dead real quick, folks that own 10 and 9 second and quicker cars have worked to that point for the most part, sure a hellcat can be 10 second car but it does take some driving/ car prep to get it into the 10's, with a few speed parts and it can run solid 10's, more tune work and run in the 9's.

Those folks with hellcats worked their way to those marks and got some experience in how the car handles. I seen hellcat owners at the dragstrip run 13's and 12's and 11's with factory hellcats, depends on the drivers talent, with work I have seen a few get into the 10's, thru experience and car prep.

Now your asking about 2010 r/t with 5.7 engine and want to run numbers to what a hellcat can do ( your 10 or 9 statement just using hellcat as the car to get there), the 5.7 will start breaking and become unreliable past 600 hp- so it been quoted many times elsewhere. So that's just out, sure there might be a few that have done well with a 5.7 engine and making bigger numbers than 600hp, but for how long before it grenades.

But to answer your question to get to 1,000 hp-

Easy way to big hp is cubic inches, build the biggest cubic inch engine you can afford, bullet proof the bottom end with the strongest parts then add blower or nitrous, or turbo and your well pass 1,000 hp mark.

Sounds like to me you should start at the bottom and work your way up to that kind of power level, hell I got a 700 plus hp blown big block chevy camaro i drive on the streets and it's just a beast, I could turn it up to 1,000 hp mark, but why, spinning tires at 60 mph now, at some point excess power is a waste, specially if the car is not set up for it, I build toys for pleasure but keep it reasonable, power cost money, to go fast cost money, I use to have a 10 second street car I drove everywhere, it was my only car and got 12 mpg, no computer controls or nothing, just a driver with skills to handle the power. It was a stupid fast car for the streets, I no longer try to go that fast, things can get out of control way to quick.

My advise start with what you got and build on it, once you see the power of a true 12 second street car I think you will be surprised at how fast that is, build on that and maybe once you see what it takes to see 10's you might have a different prospective on what fast is and may soon realize you don't really need a 10 second street car to be someone.

If you just want to go fast to go fast and do it the track, you could build a 10 second budget race car for around 5k or so, if you have the skills to do all your own work, 454 big block chevy stock with a nice 200-250 hp shot of nitrous in a light weight nova or camaro that is stripped out will run 10's all day long with very little work, been there done that and thats making about 600-650 hp. cheap way to run 10's

Full weight challenger r/t your going to spend a bunch of money and a lofty 1,000 hp goal pulled out of the sky. Just need a reality check, watching to many of those street outlaw shows.

I'm not saying all this idea of 1,000 hp can't be done, but from what I gather with what you posted, I think a hellcat is your best option if you can't wait and if your not willing to start at the bottom and work your way up, the hellcat will require the least amount of knowledge and you can just buy your way closer to the 1,000 hp mark. Few bolt on's and a good tuner to do the work, you should have what your asking for. All you have to do is lay the cash out and take out a good life insurance policy and leave all the computer controls on to help keep the car straight.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
All my opinion:

Go buy a hellcat, 1,000 hp R/T just won't happen for the average guy with no abilities to work on cars, if your asking for the most reliable way to a 1,000 hp then that tells me you have no idea or skills in engine building and what it takes to get there and this will require someone else to do all the work and this will cost more than a hellcat. On top of that mid 10's and mid 9's ( your 10 or 9 statement above) there is a big difference in hp and car prep, 10's are pretty easy to run, low 10's and 9 's are harder and requires a few more 100 hp and more suspension and car prep work. With you just throwing out 10 or 9's also tells me you have no idea what it takes to run these numbers.

Sounds like to me this is a problem, give a guy a 10 second street car with no knowledge and he be dead real quick, folks that own 10 and 9 second and quicker cars have worked to that point for the most part, sure a hellcat can be 10 second car but it does take some driving/ car prep to get it into the 10's, with a few speed parts and it can run solid 10's, more tune work and run in the 9's.

Those folks with hellcats worked their way to those marks and got some experience in how the car handles. I seen hellcat owners at the dragstrip run 13's and 12's and 11's with factory hellcats, depends on the drivers talent, with work I have seen a few get into the 10's, thru experience and car prep.

Now your asking about 2010 r/t with 5.7 engine and want to run numbers to what a hellcat can do ( your 10 or 9 statement just using hellcat as the car to get there), the 5.7 will start breaking and become unreliable past 600 hp- so it been quoted many times elsewhere. So that's just out, sure there might be a few that have done well with a 5.7 engine and making bigger numbers than 600hp, but for how long before it grenades.

But to answer your question to get to 1,000 hp-

Easy way to big hp is cubic inches, build the biggest cubic inch engine you can afford, bullet proof the bottom end with the strongest parts then add blower or nitrous, or turbo and your well pass 1,000 hp mark.

Sounds like to me you should start at the bottom and work your way up to that kind of power level, hell I got a 700 plus hp blown big block chevy camaro i drive on the streets and it's just a beast, I could turn it up to 1,000 hp mark, but why, spinning tires at 60 mph now, at some point excess power is a waste, specially if the car is not set up for it, I build toys for pleasure but keep it reasonable, power cost money, to go fast cost money, I use to have a 10 second street car I drove everywhere, it was my only car and got 12 mpg, no computer controls or nothing, just a driver with skills to handle the power. It was a stupid fast car for the streets, I no longer try to go that fast, things can get out of control way to quick.

My advise start with what you got and build on it, once you see the power of a true 12 second street car I think you will be surprised at how fast that is, build on that and maybe once you see what it takes to see 10's you might have a different prospective on what fast is and may soon realize you don't really need a 10 second street car to be someone.

If you just want to go fast to go fast and do it the track, you could build a 10 second budget race car for around 5k or so, if you have the skills to do all your own work, 454 big block chevy stock with a nice 200-250 hp shot of nitrous in a light weight nova or camaro that is stripped out will run 10's all day long with very little work, been there done that and thats making about 600-650 hp. cheap way to run 10's

Full weight challenger r/t your going to spend a bunch of money and a lofty 1,000 hp goal pulled out of the sky. Just need a reality check, watching to many of those street outlaw shows.

I'm not saying all this idea of 1,000 hp can't be done, but from what I gather with what you posted, I think a hellcat is your best option if you can't wait and if your not willing to start at the bottom and work your way up, the hellcat will require the least amount of knowledge and you can just buy your way closer to the 1,000 hp mark. Few bolt on's and a good tuner to do the work, you should have what your asking for. All you have to do is lay the cash out and take out a good life insurance policy and leave all the computer controls on to help keep the car straight.

Thanks for your honesty! I really and truthfully did pull the 1000 hp mark out of my ass... That being said this is the first car I could afford(both money and downtime) to really mess with(I am 19 and am working as a software engineer) so I want to start getting into modifications. Pre Challenger I had and still have a little 2000 Honda CRV beater that I paid for at 16 with money from taco bell and just all around needed it to get me from point A to B at all times. I grew up with a Dad who was an Aircraft Mechanic and refused to go to a mechanic for anything so I have helped when we had to rebuild engines and manual transmissions(He didn't mess with autos) because of high mileage not that I would be able to just go out and do it myself without reading up on things beforehand but I understand the basics.

My plan had been getting a 6.4 putting a massive blower on it getting a new transmission and rear diff as well as driveshaft(I know it isn't as simple as saying that but it was my basic plan). But I didn't know if this has been proven to be an unreliable set up of any kind.

·
Super Moderator
14,214 Posts
You'll have to start with a 6.2 supercharged Hellcat engine and then modify it.

For example, Hennessey is offering a HPE1000 package for the Challenger Hellcat and Jeep Trailblazer. It increasing the hp. to an insane 1,012 hp and 969 lb-ft.! The performance is 10.5 sec. @133 mph; and 0-60 mph= 2.8 sec. All this on 93 octane gas and a one-year 12,000 mile warranty.

These are the mods performed by Hennessey:

4.5L Supercharger system (black or polished finish) producing 14 psi boost
• Throttle body upgrade
• Stainless steel long tube headers with high-flow catalytic converters
• High-flow supercharger bypass valve
• Upgraded high-flow fuel injectors
• Boost-a-pump factory fuel pump upgrade
• HPE engine management upgrade & chassis dyno calibration
• High-flow air induction system

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
With an RT you’re not talking about just a few mods and a blower....when your done your car essentially will not be an RT anymore its going to probably based off a 392 block if not bigger. In a nutshell, twin or big single turbo, fully built motor, trans, drive axles to handle all the power, you’re looking at a $30k build. Most of these guy are telling you to buy a hellcat because you can pick one up for like $59 k these days.

·
Registered
328 Posts
The cheapest way to gain large amounts of HP, and not change the drivability of your car is NOS. It's there when you need it, not when you don't. It is also the least strain per HP of any power adder. I don't know how much you need for the numbers you want, but I'd look there based upon what you have said.

·
Registered
375 Posts
I chose to purchase a Scat and upgrade it from the start... but I quickly found out that just having a 10second daily wasn't going to be enough, so I added a SHR Trans and Return fuel system, now I'm trying to decide should I add nitrous to the maggie or go with a bigger blower? Do i want an icebox or a killerchiller? Do I want to bother with a 15inch conversion? Don't get me wrong, my build has had zero issues so far, but if I were starting a build now i would go with a Hellcat and not look back...

·
Registered
331 Posts
As someone who has a 14' RT, let me first start off by saying...

Nothing is unbelievable with enough money.

Now, how much is your budget? I can almost promise that given your age, there is not a practical way to turn your R/T into the beast your said in the original post. Do not take this in a bad way, as I am going to try and help.

Our cars are fat. Our 5.7 is reliable but not pushing a lot of power. In the name of racing, Weight/HP ratio is key. We will almost be beat in that part. But, allow me to show you what your 5.7 IS capable of with a few thousand.

https://youtu.be/FBeMLlCfya0

Now, I'll post my mod list. Understand, this car will run with lightly modded SRT's, but, the moment they do what we do... they will smoke us.

Mopar CAI
Diablo Tuner with a tune
Comp Cam 274
Hurst Shifter
American Racing Long Tube Headers
Speedlogix Ram Air Hood
SLP LM2 catback
Off Road H-Pipe

I wont push this build much further since I had a goal of getting our 375hp car to the 500 mark. There is only so much you can pull off this 5.7 without diving into the deep. If I put a blower on it, then comes having to forge the crank and redo the entire lower. We don't have forged internals... and that is a big problem.

It's cheaper to purchase a used 392 and build that to reach the 700 mark (Car+blower=650hp). It's cheaper to purchase a hellcat and build that (car+larger blower = 800+hp) but, I built something Im happy with. I promise you... these cars can turn heads and still be fun.

Also, dont forget about another problem. IF you can get a 1000hp engine into this (which will require an engine swap) you are going to need to get the power to the ground. You'll need to redo the entire driveline and suspension of the vehicle. Driveshafts, axles, etc are all breaking points.

Now.... here comes the police officer in me. You don't need a 1000hp car at your point in your life. You will hurt someone. Take the time and learn on the R/T you have... see if this is a hobby you like and go from there. Don't spend TONS of money until your happy with what you have and know what direction you care to build.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
As someone who has a 14' RT, let me first start off by saying...

Nothing is unbelievable with enough money.

Now, how much is your budget? I can almost promise that given your age, there is not a practical way to turn your R/T into the beast your said in the original post. Do not take this in a bad way, as I am going to try and help.

Our cars are fat. Our 5.7 is reliable but not pushing a lot of power. In the name of racing, Weight/HP ratio is key. We will almost be beat in that part. But, allow me to show you what your 5.7 IS capable of with a few thousand.

https://youtu.be/FBeMLlCfya0

Now, I'll post my mod list. Understand, this car will run with lightly modded SRT's, but, the moment they do what we do... they will smoke us.

Mopar CAI
Diablo Tuner with a tune
Comp Cam 274
Hurst Shifter
American Racing Long Tube Headers
Speedlogix Ram Air Hood
SLP LM2 catback
Off Road H-Pipe

I wont push this build much further since I had a goal of getting our 375hp car to the 500 mark. There is only so much you can pull off this 5.7 without diving into the deep. If I put a blower on it, then comes having to forge the crank and redo the entire lower. We don't have forged internals... and that is a big problem.

It's cheaper to purchase a used 392 and build that to reach the 700 mark (Car+blower=650hp). It's cheaper to purchase a hellcat and build that (car+larger blower = 800+hp) but, I built something Im happy with. I promise you... these cars can turn heads and still be fun.

Now.... here comes the police officer in me. You don't need a 1000hp car at your point in your life. You will hurt someone. Take the time and learn on the R/T you have... see if this is a hobby you like and go from there. Don't spend TONS of money until your happy with what you have and know what direction you care to build.
Thanks for your response and your does sound amazing. I think I may go the route of getting a used 6.4 SRT so that I don't have to do all of the upgrades that would come stock on SRT such as big breaks etc. etc. And some changes in heart(like the fact I want a manual tranny). Thank you for the grounding about not needing it that high. It is a goal I had in mind I am not planning to have it at 1000hp tomorrow I am hoping to do most of the work myself and make it a project of sorts and the journey will be part of the fun for me. Since my plan was to buy a forged 6.4 new built tranny and then start modding over the top I think the many comments made to buy a bigger engined car will probably be the better option. Again thank you.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Thanks for your response and your does sound amazing. I think I may go the route of getting a used 6.4 SRT so that I don't have to do all of the upgrades that would come stock on SRT such as big breaks etc. etc. And some changes in heart(like the fact I want a manual tranny). Thank you for the grounding about not needing it that high. It is a goal I had in mind I am not planning to have it at 1000hp tomorrow I am hoping to do most of the work myself and make it a project of sorts and the journey will be part of the fun for me. Since my plan was to buy a forged 6.4 new built tranny and then start modding over the top I think the many comments made to buy a bigger engined car will probably be the better option. Again thank you.
It's no problem. Little steps towards a goal is progress. You want to keep in mind, a low milage car is key for a build you're trying to do. The engine is the main point you're going to be stressing, and putting a blower on a car with 80K miles requires a lot more work.

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
Take this from someone that has the headaches
I started off stock. Then a cold air intake and tune
Now I am 700 to the tires axles driveshaft blower ect
It is no fun. I had more enjoyment at 500 hp. Easier to drive. And could get better traction to enjoy it. And the cost. ??*♂

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: A knight

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
Ya. All these aftermarket supercharger systems suck compared to factory.
Vacuum operated bypass valves are not good. I wish someone could get the aftermarket blower bypass system electronicly controllers then they would have something
Honest. Save your cash and get a hell cat. Ya I know everyone has one. That is because they make cheap reliable power
U can customize it to your liking there after

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2016 Jazz Blue A8 Scat
938 Posts
You are getting really good advice in this thread.

500hp on the street is a LOT.
700hp on the street is probably too much. The Hellcats are geared higher by FCA to limit low end power and enhance driveability. The throttle boost is also intentionally lazy in default mode.

1000hp on the street is pretty-much un-usable. Hence the multiple key fobs and power settings on the Hellcats and Demon. You want to be able to turn it down for street driving.

If you want a car that is reliable and already has more power than you need, just buy the Hellcat. At 19, your insurance will probably rival your car payment.

You can do some substantial mods to your current car and enjoy it without draining your bank account or making the car unreliable. That’s what I would do.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
8,853 Posts
There was a recent post where Luke from Stevewhite chimed in on 500HP at the wheels being ideal for the street (I hope I am quoting him right). There was also mention of a customer that wanted a street beast despite warnings on how the street manners of the car would greatly suffer. The customer got what he wanted but within a week or so greatly regretted modifications. I wish I could find that post.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts