Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just did the wheels on my classic using Mother's mag polish. Best thing I ever used

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
....I thought the classic wheels were clear coated? While Mother's Mag & Aluminum Polish is a great product (I've been using it for years), it is really intended for bare metal finishes (not recommended for use on clear coated ones). I would make sure to get this figured out and discontinue using the product if your wheels are indeed clear coated.

·
Premium Member
1,690 Posts
classic wheels are indeed clear coated. I'd recommend just using car wax.. that's what I use. Works great. You don't want to do anything to remove the clearcoat

Mike

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
You've removed about about 1/4 of your clear coat finish - stop! Only use car wax with no cut or abrasives for dullness. And whatever you do never get any Westley's Bleach White or any tire cleaner on those rims cause it will frost them up and ruin them in 5 seconds....learned that the hard way back in 1979 on my first Trans Am having clear coated honey comb wheels.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The polish I had seemed so non-abrasive I thought it would be ok. Guess not. It did do a heck of job, they look great. It will be the last time i use it. Thanks for the info

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
The polish I had seemed so non-abrasive I thought it would be ok. Guess not. It did do a heck of job, they look great. It will be the last time i use it. Thanks for the info
It's a good product but its only meant for raw metal surfaces. I would keep it around and use it for that stuff (automotive or otherwise).

Now, I wouldn't say it has definitely removed any of your clear coat (I don't where the magic "1/4" came from) but I'm guessing it has the potential to cloud, haze or otherwise damaged the finish which is why they don't recommend it for that sort of application. As for having done any permanent damage or removal of your clear coat, ....maybe. I would just make sure to use a car wax like Walaby said.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Thanks for choosing Mothers!

But just to clarify, our Mag & Aluminum Polish label does say "Not recommended for gold plating, chrome,anodized, painted or coated metals."

It is very often confusing when your window sticker says "aluminum wheels" or even "polished aluminum," but all factory-equipped aluminum alloy wheels these days are coated.

Mag & Aluminum Polish does have pretty fine abrasives as metal polishes go, so if you used mild pressure and a soft microfiber, you are probably okay just this once if you got no black residue -- black residue indicates you penetrated the clearcoat and hit bare alloy.

It is understanding that it would have polished-up the appearance, as that clearcoat can get very scratched-up almost to the point of it looking like someone took sandpaper to it.

Because the tough clearcoat is different than body paint, next time try a plastic polish (like our Plastic Polish or PowerPlastic), though sometimes a cleaner wax works fine -- it depends on the condition. A PowerCone really makes the job much easier on the spoked wheels like this.

To maintain them, try a spray wax on a soft microfiber to help protect them between polishings.

Coincidentally I was dealer-hopping last weekend and shot this picture of a wheel on a new-on-the-lot Challenger, so I can certainly understand if yours looked anywhere close to these why you would want to break out the polish...

Attachments

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Mother's Thanks for the advice from you and the rest, its greatly appreciated. Maybe I can reincarnate the 1/4 of the clear coat I lost? When I used last night not on any of the four wheels did any black show up. So hopefully they will be ok

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Mother's Thanks for the advice from you and the rest, its greatly appreciated. Maybe I can reincarnate the 1/4 of the clear coat I lost? When I used last night not on any of the four wheels did any black show up. So hopefully they will be ok
.....like I mentioned before, I don't know where this magic "1/4" comes from but I wouldn't worry about it at this point. Mothers brought up a good point that these clear coats (on aluminium wheels in particular) are typically different that what you would find on paint. Its usually thicker but IME seems to be softer, even sort of plastic-like (perhaps to make it more resilient to chipping) on the ones I have had. I dont know if the classic wheels are similar but I would just use a wax or one of the products Mothers mentioned to maintain them. Some cleaner waxes or an AIO's may help to gently clean up/polish the finish if needed periodically.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
The 1/4 comes from the fact you can polish new factory clear coated wheels about 4 times with metal polish then you hit actual aluminum - old paint shop wisdom from mid 80's.

That plastic effect seen on coated rims comes from an flex agent added to the paint that allows expansion since the rotors generate so much heat transfer from the hub.

You'll be okay so long as you don't get any wheel cleaner on those rims... then the fun really begins.

·
Registered
389 Posts
You know that Mother's polish guy really must love this stuff if he takes time to get snaps of wheels that could use a little care. That's totally professional and dedicated IMO. Great folks with that company - explains why they've got such great products.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Thanks for the kind words! :)

We are a small family company of car guys, and we enjoy making great products.

What I would recommend is that you use a synthetic wax or sealer periodically -- synthetic will be pretty much non-abrasive.

Also, a spray wax, like our California Gold or FX, is easy to use and provides a great shine and protection. Dry after a wash with a soft microfiber towel using the spray wax.

Wash the wheels frequently with a car wash solution, a soft mitt dedicated for your wheels, and a gentle brush if you need it.

Use a wheel cleaner only when necessary.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts