Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,634 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the 20" classic heritage rims that are clear coated. Will this brush hurt the coat at all?

Would it be better to use a sponge or microfilter towel to wash the wheels with?

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Personally, I tend to prefer BHB; boars hair brushes for wheel faces, spokes and rims. However, I have used nylon brushes for the hub (the inner part of the wheel), rotors, wheel wells, etc. I’ve never used that particular Mothers brush but the flagged tips look like they would be relatively gentle. ….I do have a set of their smaller detail brushes (I tend to collect a lot of brushes) and those are pretty decent.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I have the Mothers brush and it does have soft flagged bristles. I find it very safe and use it clear coated painted rims.

·
Premium Member
4,634 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for your responses, look like I'll be picking one up soon.

·
Premium Member
4,634 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
....yeah. BHB's can be quite expensive. Those are currently the ones I am using (the Montana label). I have some 1" round brushes as well as the 6". They will last a while if you take of them but I can see how the cost could be hard to justify. I've been wanting to try these Eimann Fabrik lambswool "woolies":

Eimann Fabrik Wheel Woolies <br><font color=red><b>NEW</b></font>

The pile looks dense which would be great for holding wash solution as well as getting adequate coverage on the hub, in between spokes, etc. I'm currently using a EZ Detail brush for this purpose but I'm not too happy with the quality of the latest one I purchased.

·
Registered
74 Posts
The Mothers Wheel Brush, as well as its longer version the Wheel Well Brush, are both safe for all wheel finishes. (Heads are the same size and not to scale in the photos).

The Mothers Tire Brush has very stiff bristles, and are recommended for tires only.

All three are widely available online.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
The Mothers Tire Brush has very stiff bristles, and are recommended for tires only.

I have a habit of buying an assortment of brushes and bought this one on a whim. However, if Im going to be honest, I have to say I really didn't like it. I found the bristles *too* stiff and *too* thick to be effective for tire use. If the bristles were thinner, less stiff but more dense, it could more easily get into the tread blocks, lettering and textures on sidewalls. I like the handle and overall design though. I also like my small detail brushes I bought along with it and use those for some interior work.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I have a habit of buying an assortment of brushes and bought this one on a whim. However, if Im going to be honest, I have to say I really didn't like it. I found the bristles *too* stiff and *too* thick to be effective for tire use. If the bristles were thinner, less stiff but more dense, it could more easily get into the tread blocks, lettering and textures on sidewalls. I like the handle and overall design though. I also like my small detail brushes I bought along with it and use those for some interior work.
I like the stiffer bristles/density on the Mothers tire brush but I would prefer a round brush with a knob handle in the center like the Carrand brand for ergonomics.

I think the key to speedy tire cleaning is bristle density but the Carrand tire brush does not have it so the Mothers seems to work best even though it has stiffer bristles for me.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
I like the stiffer bristles/density on the Mothers tire brush but I would prefer a round brush with a knob handle in the center like the Carrand brand for ergonomics.

I think the key to speedy tire cleaning is bristle density but the Carrand tire brush does not have it so the Mothers seems to work best even though it has stiffer bristles for me.
....yeah. For me, the extra stiffness of the bristles simply makes it more difficult for me to get into crevices to coax out old product/grime. Even on smooth portions of grimy sidewalls I could see the brush strokes of the bristles. I have a couple of OXO brushes (intended as carpet brushes) that work much better for me. They have finer bristles densely populated on the face of the brush. ....also stiff enough but not too stiff.

·
Registered
112 Posts
....yeah. For me, the extra stiffness of the bristles simply makes it more difficult for me to get into crevices to coax out old product/grime. Even on smooth portions of grimy sidewalls I could see the brush strokes of the bristles. I have a couple of OXO brushes (intended as carpet brushes) that work much better for me. They have finer bristles densely populated on the face of the brush. ....also stiff enough but not too stiff.
I also think the tire cleaner choice makes a difference on removing tire brown especially in the molded features on tires like Michelin.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
I also think the tire cleaner choice makes a difference on removing tire brown especially in the molded features on tires like Michelin.
....you're absolutely right. I typically go with a diluted APC like Meguiars APC/+ or just a car wash soap and agitation (for most cleaning). If I plan on reapplying a sealant to the wheels (or for really nasty cases), I might go with a stronger APC dilution or another cleaner all together. ....Eagle One A2Z is one of those "others" I use in rare cases.

·
Registered
74 Posts
The design of it really provides cleaning action on its own, which is a strong point, but I think it is not for everyone I will agree.

If you use a strong tire cleaner, or a product like our Foaming Wheel & Tire Cleaner, you really don't need a brush like this because the cleaner does such a good job on its own.

·
Premium Member
4,634 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well, both items are being shipped to me as we speak, so I'm very excited to try them out! I've never even used a tire brush before. The wheel cleaner looks like it's going to be great. I also bought that "Bone" sponge by Cobra which should clean the whole car great!

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Well, both items are being shipped to me as we speak, so I'm very excited to try them out! I've never even used a tire brush before. The wheel cleaner looks like it's going to be great. I also bought that "Bone" sponge by Cobra which should clean the whole car great!
....your experience may be different but I have a couple of the "bones" lying around somewhere that I received as freebies with past purchases. Take it for what its worth but I found the media in whole was a little too large/awkward/stiff (for anything but flat panels) and the material cover didn’t have enough nap for my liking. However, I do like their chenille and (even better) their sheepskin wash mitts. Either way, I hope they work out for you.

·
Premium Member
4,634 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
....your experience may be different but I have a couple of the "bones" lying around somewhere that I received as freebies with past purchases. Take it for what its worth but I found the media in whole was a little too large/awkward/stiff (for anything but flat panels) and the material cover didn’t have enough nap for my liking. However, I do like their chenille and (even better) their sheepskin wash mitts. Either way, I hope they work out for you.

Rain finally cleared up and I was able to use all products I bought. The Bone was awesome! Very good job cleaning, with enough flexibility to get in tougher areas. Rinses out well and catches all the dirt. Good product!

The Mothers tire and wheel clean brushes were AMAZING! I have been washing my own cars for years and never knew now amazing these products were. It's so easy to clean my clear coated wheels with this brush. Very soft bristles, I had no hesitation using it on my wheels. It's almost feels like I'm brushes off the wheels wish a huge paint brush. I was able to get at many different parts of the wheels, where with the standard sponge I could not.

The tire brush was a little ackward to use at certain angles, but boy does it scrub those tires hard. I noticed a big difference in how cleaner the tires appeared after using the brush. Very strong, rugged bristles that really grind well against the tire, without being too harsh.

All three products have made it so much easier to clean my car, and my car has never looked better!

:bigthumb: To Mothers products, and of course, to da Bone. :pimp:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts