Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2014 Dodge Challenger RT with 129,000 miles on it! I hit a object in road, so comprehensive insurance is saying it’s internal motor problem so not covered! The insurance brought to my attention that my service records and service stickers don’t match up! The sticker states every 3,000 miles or 3 months and when u add up previous oil change its 5,200! I understand that’s an old myth but shouldn’t the dealership let me know that it’s 5,200 and not 3,000! Faulting them for not providing me with accurate information?

·
Premium Member
The Bacon Hauler (‘12 Cop Charger)
9,433 Posts
I have a 2014 Dodge Challenger RT with 129,000 miles on it! I hit a object in road, so comprehensive insurance is saying it’s internal motor problem so not covered! The insurance brought to my attention that my service records and service stickers don’t match up! The sticker states every 3,000 miles or 3 months and when u add up previous oil change its 5,200! I understand that’s an old myth but shouldn’t the dealership let me know that it’s 5,200 and not 3,000! Faulting them for not providing me with accurate information?
The car's owner's manual does not specify a 3 month/3,000 mile oil change interval. That's an antiquated interval that hasn't applied to vehicles manufactured in at least 30 years.

The car's owner manual should specify 5,000 miles or 6 months, whichever is sooner, as the engine oil change interval. If you do not have the original owner's manual, grab a digital copy from Dodge's website, and you can verify this for yourself.

Having said all that, I am confused about the link between a collision while driving the car and an internal engine problem. I would expect a collision while driving to result in suspension or body damage. If the engine has failed on you, and it is indeed an internal part that is broken, the collision on the road would not have caused it. They are two separate events.

·
Premium Member
4,023 Posts
Welcome to the Forum from Alabama.
There is allot of missing information here so I don't even know where to start.
Impact with "object" in road caused the motor knock?
Failure to avoid an object is not a comprehensive claim. It was under your control.
And this relates to service intervals how?
I'm totally lost. o_O

Reactions: Loopy

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Welcome to the Forum from Alabama.
There is allot of missing information here so I don't even know where to start.
Impact with "object" in road caused the motor knock?
Failure to avoid an object is not a comprehensive claim. It was under your control.
And this relates to service intervals how?
I'm totally lost. o_O
I was on hwy and couldn’t miss item unless I wrecked the car! The knocking happened about 1-2 minutes after that! I didn’t think it was an insurance issue but I contacted them to be sure! If I got my oil changed every 3,000 miles for 2 years. But switch dodge places cause I changed cities, and now this dodge place puts the 3,000 miles sticker in window but my car is going well over that normal changed 3,000 mile mark will it cause any kind of unnecessary damage?

I’m sorry if I’m not making since! Let’s take out the object hit in road, I thought I could cause something to shift, were a piston could get damaged! If I well maintain dodge I would think I could get 200,000 out of motor! I just thought if the dealership put a sticker in my window that states 3000 miles it should add up to that stated 3000 miles not 5200miles! Or is that irrelevant?

·
Premium Member
9,433 Posts
I was on hwy and couldn’t miss item unless I wrecked the car! The knocking happened about 1-2 minutes after that! I didn’t think it was an insurance issue but I contacted them to be sure! If I got my oil changed every 3,000 miles for 2 years. But switch dodge places cause I changed cities, and now this dodge place puts the 3,000 miles sticker in window but my car is going well over that normal changed 3,000 mile mark will it cause any kind of unnecessary damage?
If the collision with the object in the road somehow compromised the oil pan, maybe enough oil could have been lost to then starve the engine and cause bearing damage....but that's a long shot. And it would certainly have lots of supporting evidence, like a hole in the oil pan.

What are the symptoms if the car is started and driven right now? Does the engine run? Does it make any noises? Will it even start?

First thing's first though: find out what they believe is wrong with the engine. Is it a spun bearing, is it a cracked cylinder head, etc.?

Get them to go on record with a diagnosis.

Without more concrete details, this thread is just going to be a bunch of guesses about nebulous issues no one knows for sure even apply.

Once you have that diagnosis from them, you can go about ascertaining whether it is a plausible one and then who should be responsible for fixing it if so.

·
Premium Member
9,433 Posts
I’m sorry if I’m not making since! Let’s take out the object hit in road, I thought I could cause something to shift, were a piston could get damaged! If I well maintain dodge I would think I could get 200,000 out of motor! I just thought if the dealership put a sticker in my window that states 3000 miles it should add up to that stated 3000 miles not 5200miles! Or is that irrelevant?
that sticker on the window has zero relevance to any claim you might make for engine repair. That sticker is just a reminder for the driver to help them know when to come back for an oil change. They can put anything on that sticker they want.

Although, with the mileage you have on the engine, I do not see any hope of a warranty claim being approved if the engine is toast. It's outside of the powertrain warranty, so they will not do anything on it without charging for the labor and parts to do it.

But yes, normally that engine should have no problem going 200K miles, assuming all relevant safety recalls were taken care of in a timely manner and preventative maintenance was performed.

Reactions: F8HemiRT

·
Premium Member
4,023 Posts
In short, no. 3K is not the recommended oil change for you vehicle.
If the "object" was static it is your responsibility to avoid it.
If it was dynamic (fell from truck, etc). Then you may have a claim.
The knock must be diagnosed by a competent technician.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If the collision with the object in the road somehow compromised the oil pan, maybe enough oil could have been lost to then starve the engine and cause bearing damage....but that's a long shot. And it would certainly have lots of supporting evidence, like a hole in the oil pan.

What are the symptoms if the car is started and driven right now? Does the engine run? Does it make any noises? Will it even start?

First thing's first though: find out what they believe is wrong with the engine. Is it a spun bearing, is it a cracked cylinder head, etc.?

Get them to go on record with a diagnosis.

Without more concrete details, this thread is just going to be a bunch of guesses about nebulous issues no one knows for sure even apply.

Once you have that diagnosis from them, you can go about ascertaining whether it is a plausible one and then who should be responsible for fixing it if so.
The car will run and driver but sounds like a screw in a aluminum drink can being shaken around. I just didn’t know if I get full diagnostic from dealership they are charging $1,600 and if it’s all on my side at the end of the day! Should I just put that $1600 towards repairs instead! I treat my car my first child and would think I could’ve got a little more life out of motor!

·
Premium Member
4,023 Posts
Yes, it is irrelevant.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
that sticker on the window has zero relevance to any claim you might make for engine repair. That sticker is just a reminder for the driver to help them know when to come back for an oil change. They can put anything on that sticker they want.

Although, with the mileage you have on the engine, I do not see any hope of a warranty claim being approved if the engine is toast. It's outside of the powertrain warranty, so they will not do anything on it without charging for the labor and parts to do it.

But yes, normally that engine should have no problem going 200K miles, assuming all relevant safety recalls were taken care of in a timely manner and preventative maintenance was performed.
Thanks a lot! For response and suggestions! It’s just weird that the would happen in those events! I’m just lost and don’t know who to ask! The insurance adjuster said he say a lot of metal shavings in oil so they want the internal check which costs 1600 and if they won’t cover its on me! But do I just use that money for repairs. But thanks alot

Thanks a lot! The insurance adjuster just said he saw metal shavings in oil so he’s wants an internal diagnostic but if they won’t cover I’m responsible but do I just get it repaired instead of spending 1600 on diagnostic! Thanks all the help

·
Premium Member
4,023 Posts
I don't understand why diagnosing an engine problem would cost $1600. Nuts. No way I would pay that.
The adjuster is not a trained engine technician. What he "observed" in the oil (how did he get a sample of your oil?), to me is again, irrelevant.
You either have a claim based on circumstances or you don't. The rest is minutia.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks a lot! The insurance adjuster just said he saw metal shavings in oil so he’s wants an internal diagnostic but if they won’t cover I’m responsible but do I just get it repaired instead of spending 1600 on diagnostic! Thanks all the help
I don't understand why diagnosing an engine problem would cost $1600. Nuts. No way I would pay that.
The adjuster is not a trained engine technician. What he "observed" in the oil (how did he get a sample of your oil?), to me is again, irrelevant.
You either have a claim based on circumstances or you don't. The rest is minutia.
the dodge place said 600$ to take off oil pan to check and 1000 to take off top! I feel as though I should take it back to my original dodge place I went to before moving and getting them to do the diagnostic! Not to mention they already charged me 160$ to say it was the motor! But in order for the insurance to see if they will cover, they need a internal look through authorized mechanic(like u said). And that the dodge place costs 1,600$

the dodge place said 600$ to take off oil pan to check and 1000 to take off top! I feel as though I should take it back to my original dodge place I went to before moving and getting them to do the diagnostic! Not to mention they already charged me 160$ to say it was the motor! But in order for the insurance to see if they will cover, they need a internal look through authorized mechanic(like u said). And that the dodge place costs 1,600$
And thanks again! I felt as though 1,600 was a lot but I have no clue with any of this! Don’t know much about cars except the minimum! That’s why I try to keep every in par and updated! So sorry if I sound like a dumb#*^, lol

·
Premium Member
4,023 Posts

If they are going to fix it while they have it disassembled then that's part of the repair bill. Only way I would consider it.
Then you have a fixed car and it's just between you and the insurance company to settle.
Only other option is to say "screw it" and just sell the car as is.
What did you hit and what were the circumstances? This is the missing part of this whole event.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
If they are going to fix it while they have it disassembled then that's part of the repair bill. Only way I would consider it.
Then you have a fixed car and it's just between you and the insurance company to settle.
Only other option is to say "screw it" and just sell the car as is.
What did you hit and what were the circumstances? This is the missing part of this whole event.
A big truck floor jack! And the stem part was stuck between under passenger door pointing towards motor area! So I didn’t know if it could’ve shifted or knocked something uneven! The adjuster said I would definitely b covered if whole in oil pan or something physical leaking present when he looked at it! And yes he said he’s not a mechanic so insurance wanted a deeper investigation/quote and if I’m at fault it will cost 1600

·
Premium Member
4,023 Posts
A big truck floor jack! And the stem part was stuck between under passenger door pointing towards motor area! So I didn’t know if it could’ve shifted or knocked something uneven! The adjuster said I would definitely b covered if whole in oil pan or something physical leaking present when he looked at it! And yes he said he’s not a mechanic so insurance wanted a deeper investigation/quote and if I’m at fault it will cost 1600
"big truck floor jack!"
Crap! Gotta be fixed anyway.
Determining "at fault" should not include engine disassembly. IMO.
Go to the next level of management of the insurance company.
This guy's jerking your chain.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts