Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was driving and managed to hit a jug of used motor oil in the street. Needless to say my car looks like oil raind all over it. I took it to the pressure washer to get it off but now I have a film of oil all over the car.I spent about 20 minutes at the pressure washer scrubbing spraying repeat.

I cant wash the car til next weekend with Dawn dish soap but until then will the oil film cause any damage to the paint. I did wax the car last week so it does have some protection.

Also, since I will need to relax it are there any ceramic coat sprays thst are recommended? I currently use maguire ultimate silicone wax.

·
Registered
16,484 Posts
He said he can't wash the car til the weekend, looking for something else to do now.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2020 Dodge Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack
4,457 Posts
I was driving and managed to hit a jug of used motor oil in the street. Needless to say my car looks like oil raind all over it. I took it to the pressure washer to get it off but now I have a film of oil all over the car.I spent about 20 minutes at the pressure washer scrubbing spraying repeat.

I cant wash the car til next weekend with Dawn dish soap but until then will the oil film cause any damage to the paint. I did wax the car last week so it does have some protection.

Also, since I will need to relax it are there any ceramic coat sprays thst are recommended? I currently use maguire ultimate silicone wax.
While clean engine oil would probably be harmless to the paint/clear coat I would not leave it on any longer than absolutely necessary.

Thus my advice would be to find the time to wash the car sooner rather than later.

If it were my car I would hand wash the car with a bucket of hot water and Dawn dish detergent. We used Dawn for washing eye glasses/lenses. It cuts oil (skin oil and other oils) very well -- I used it to clean up after a particularly dirty/oily (cutting oil) day working in a machine shop -- and is harmless to the paint. It will likely remove the wax though so the car should be waxed afterwards.

Do not use lighter fluid or any petroleum solvents on the car.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Unfortunately my apt complex does not have hoses gotta wait til i can get to my buddy's this weekend. But I did pressure wash the car and got as much off as I could.

Since I am stripping all the wax I was thinking is this a good time to clay bar the car?

·
Registered
2020 Dodge Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack
4,457 Posts
Unfortunately my apt complex does not have hoses gotta wait til i can get to my buddy's this weekend. But I did pressure wash the car and got as much off as I could.

Since I am stripping all the wax I was thinking is this a good time to clay bar the car?
I have in the past "bucket" washed a car or two at the DIY car wash. Load up a couple of 5 gallon clean plastic "gas" cans with hot water. Grab a bucket, wash mitt, soap and visit a DIY car wash. I prefer late in the day or early in the day so I do not tie up a bay when business is heavier.

Then rinse the car down good. Hit with the mitt from a bucket filled with water from one of the plastic cans and into which has been added Dawn, or possibly a good car wash detergent.

Then after a good soaping rinse the car again and with a fresh bucket of hot water and some more soap hit any spots you may have missed the 1st time. Another rinse and then a spotless rinse. Drive car out of bay and wipe down to prevent spots. As soon as you can arrange to wax the car.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts