Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
By TERRY BOX , The Dallas Morning News

Date of Publication: February 01, 2006

The Chrysler Group is on the outside - Unlike embattled GM and Ford, Chrysler is not losing market share and has no plans to close factories. Moreover, Chrysler seems more relaxed and confident than the other domestics — and more willing to take design chances. The company had a good Detroit show, unveiling the new Dodge Caliber and Jeep Compass crossovers, the Challenger and even the big Chrysler Aspen SUV. Chrysler's decision to dump the lowly Neon in favor of the much more stylish Caliber looks pretty smart right now. Rather than take on the Japanese in small-car segments they dominate, Chrysler opted for a different, less traveled path.

The crowd wasn't much smaller for the equally fabulous Dodge Challenger concept...emotion, power and style — classic qualities that Asian manufacturers have struggled to achieve...

Source: SouthCoastToday.com

·
Registered
18 Posts
Mr.DJ said:
By TERRY BOX , The Dallas Morning News

Date of Publication: February 01, 2006

The Chrysler Group is on the outside - Unlike embattled GM and Ford, Chrysler is not losing market share and has no plans to close factories. Moreover, Chrysler seems more relaxed and confident than the other domestics — and more willing to take design chances. The company had a good Detroit show, unveiling the new Dodge Caliber and Jeep Compass crossovers, the Challenger and even the big Chrysler Aspen SUV. Chrysler's decision to dump the lowly Neon in favor of the much more stylish Caliber looks pretty smart right now. Rather than take on the Japanese in small-car segments they dominate, Chrysler opted for a different, less traveled path.

i think your right, they are the only of the big three that doesnt seem like they will lose their place in the big three.

·
Registered
65 Posts
lordzorok said:
I think your right, they are the only of the big three that doesnt seem like they will lose their place in the big three.
Chrysler's building the cars America really wants right now. They are building true AMERICAN cars that the Japanese, Koreans and the others dont make. They have taken big chances with agressive styling and re-introducing the Hemi and that has paid off big time.

I remember people freaking out about the new Ram pickup when it was introduced (I live in pickup country). Some hated it while others loved those big truck looks. And now you have every other truck maker tying to clone it. I doubt you'd see the Tundra, Avalanche, Ridgeline or the (ugly) F-350 "tonka" concept without the Dodge Ram's influence.

GM and Ford have stuck with making mostly bland, boring and conservative family cars and trucks for decades, and I think thats finally caught up with them. They were really dumb to think that just SUV sales would keep them afloat.

Dodge/Chrysler/Jeep gave car buyers agressive looks, powerful Hemi engines and a bad ass attitude, even for the cheaper cars. I think the Chrysler Group is trying to become the Harley-Davidson of car makers, and thats cool with me!:D

·
Registered
973 Posts
It seems to me that when Chrysler tries to copy the direction of the other car companies they fail. What Chrysler is now doing is what they do best. When they forget about what everyone else is doing they are successful.

When Chrysler introduced the Aspen during the Detroit Auto Show, some in the press questioned why anyone would bring out a new production SUV at this time. I looked at it as part of their plan for major growth.

Next up, the Challenger.

·
Registered
65 Posts
ChuckG said:
It seems to me that when Chrysler tries to copy the direction of the other car companies they fail. What Chrysler is now doing is what they do best. When they forget about what everyone else is doing they are successful.
They needed to do something different, for a time (early 90's) they stuck to Lee Iaccoa's plan bulding cheap K-Cars and Minivans. The Truck division was severely outdated. Jeep's only new model was the ZJ Grand Cherokee, and most of the design work was done when they were still owned by AMC.

The Chrysler Group has recapured the high performance image that they had in the 60's and early 70's. The new Challenger will reinforce that image even more. It's a big middle finger to other automakers that DCX is going to continue to do thier own thing. The Japanese have no clue on how to build a V-8 musclecar. And if GM doesnt build a new Camaro or Firebird they will really be in trouble.

I hope they ignore all the complaints from the Europeans that the Challenger is "too retro" - when those same Euros have heaped tons of praise on the new VW Bug and the new Mini. Don't knock a car until you drive it.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Yup yup! When DCX dares to be different, is the time they truly succeed... As someone else mentioned, look at GM & Ford's recent cars.... They look like every other boring car on the road... Heck, the "New" Impala (for 2006) looks JUST like an Accord! Someone just played a prank & glued a bowtie on the grill! How freakin boring is THAT?! At least the Impalas from 2000-05 had SOME style... And don't even get me started on Ford... LOL

·
Registered
36 Posts
It's amazing how well the Chrysler group has emerged into a top contender for the title. recently, I was at the auto show in Salt Lake City,where all of the new models of vehicles were out on display. you wouldn't believe how crowded the Chrysler, Jeep, Dodge section was, compared to all of the others. they brought out some killer concepts like the Jeep Rescue (Cummins powered Jeep monster SUV), the Chrysler V-12 (Ferrari smoker) and some sweet vipers, Chargers and kick ass new Rams. I love it, keep it going DCX!!!

·
Registered
65 Posts
Chikan said:
. Heck, the "New" Impala (for 2006) looks JUST like an Accord! Someone just played a prank & glued a bowtie on the grill! How freakin boring is THAT?! At least the Impalas from 2000-05 had SOME style... And don't even get me started on Ford... LOL
GM pissed off a lot of Chevy owners by going to front wheel drive. A lot of Americans still associate front wheel drive with imports. The "we're trying to copy Toyota" looks didnt help sales either!

America hadn't seen a car like the 300 in decades. It had balls. People still want big cars with powerful V-8's and rear wheel drive. They gave it bold and expensive looks and kept the V-6 base models affordable. And they were damn smart to port it over to Dodge as the Charger and Magnum wagon. I dont know who is doing market research for DCX, but whoever's doing it deserves a huge raise!!

·
Registered
107 Posts
WildBillTX said:
GM pissed off a lot of Chevy owners by going to front wheel drive. A lot of Americans still associate front wheel drive with imports. The "we're trying to copy Toyota" looks didnt help sales either!

America hadn't seen a car like the 300 in decades. It had balls. People still want big cars with powerful V-8's and rear wheel drive. They gave it bold and expensive looks and kept the V-6 base models affordable. And they were damn smart to port it over to Dodge as the Charger and Magnum wagon. I dont know who is doing market research for DCX, but whoever's doing it deserves a huge raise!!
Couldn't agree more. DCX nailed it on the head with their new body styles. US automakers take note, American men still love MUSCLE CARS!

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
WildBillTX said:

And people don't forget!!!

·
Registered
65 Posts
71 bee said:
It's amazing how well the Chrysler group has emerged into a top contender for the title. recently, I was at the auto show in Salt Lake City,where all of the new models of vehicles were out on display. you wouldn't believe how crowded the Chrysler, Jeep, Dodge section was, compared to all of the others. they brought out some killer concepts like the Jeep Rescue (Cummins powered Jeep monster SUV), the Chrysler V-12 (Ferrari smoker) and some sweet vipers, Chargers and kick ass new Rams. I love it, keep it going DCX!!!
Speaking of the V-12, wouldnt it SICK if DCX could wedge that engine in the Challenger? (or is it too long?!)

·
Registered
70 Posts
In my online contact directly to Dodge I said this... This car doesnt really look retro per se it looks like the way the car would have evolved if it had stayed in production all these years.

·
Registered
973 Posts
WildBillTX said:
Bill- I've never been to the track. I've never street raced. And I've never been into performance cars.

It's been years since I could buy a V-8 rear wheel drive car that I really wanted. Finally someone in Detroit is realizing that there are people out there that have been holding-off buying a new car waiting for V-8 RWD cars to return. And Chrysler is going to do it.

I won't purchase one of those crappy V-6 FWD pieces of nothing again. PERIOD!

You said it all very well.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Its bold moves that the other two of the "big three" need to make. DCx really nailed it with the LX cars, and sales has proved that. WildBillTX nailed it with his comment about people wanting the big rearwheel V8's. All the car enthusiasts on my block have been raving about "the good old days" when there used to be the pony car wars (they are all around 60 years old). I've sat and spent a whole weekend listening to them talk about how their old Challenger/Cuda/Camaro/Mustang/etc. used to destroy everything else, and how much they regret getting rid of it after seeing some of the crap that has been put out in the last few years. Man, I can't wait for this car!!!

And if it were possible to fit a V-12 into a Challenger... *drool*

·
Registered
36 Posts
has anyone here heard of Chrysler making a new version of the 'cuda? hmmmm, the Chrysler Hemi'cuda. I don't know, I kinda like it, but at the same time it, seems sort of sac-religious to the Plymouth namesake.

·
Registered
65 Posts
JustACelt said:
In my online contact directly to Dodge I said this... This car doesnt really look retro per se it looks like the way the car would have evolved if it had stayed in production all these years.
I agree - you bet DCX was watching what Ford has done to the Mustang. Ford evolved the Stang over the years for technology and consumer tastes but never screwed around with the "Soul" of the car that made it so popular and special when it was first produced in 1964. (Except for the POS "Mustang II" in 1975-8 - which was just basically a cheap Pinto with a wimpy engine line - the faithful bitched, bitched and moaned about it until they brought out the 5.0 "Fox" 79-93 Mustang). Ford could have turned the 2005 Mustang into a ugly import-inspired blob of crap, but they listened to what fans wanted and created a new car that reminds people so much of the classic fastbacks. Little wonder why DCX wants a piece of Ford's action!

Most of those old Ponycars used suspension, brakes and steering lifted right out of the small budget sedans (the nova, falcon, valiant & the rambler american). And they were built cheaply because Detroit knew kids would tear them up racing them. Thats why the old musclecars have such a bad rep with sportscar and import fans (snobs). They're great on the straight line but the overmatched suspension and weak drum brakes slow them way down on tight turns at high speeds, unless you upgrade those parts yourself.

If DCX can produce a Challenger that has the classic stying and the brute dragstrip horsepower of the 1970's Challys but retains the high quality, tight handling, smooth ride and braking of the 300 they will have a surefire winner that will blow away the Mustang. And I'm sure they are thinking about how to make a simular maybe more luxurious version of it for Chrysler.

A affordable musclecar that performs like a expensive sportscar could get a lot of people who've put down this genre as outdated to change thier mind! From what I see with the concept car, I can say DCX has about 80% of that taken care of, now all they gotta do is ready it for mass production!

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
WildBillTX said:
Speaking of the V-12, wouldnt it SICK if DCX could wedge that engine in the Challenger? (or is it too long?!)

I think its to big.....A V-8 will do just fine!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts