Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Challenger SRT
3,667 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I rode my first street bike ('71 Kawasaki 500 2 stroke triple) at 16 yo when my older brother left for college and made the mistake of leaving the bike with keys home LOL. I realize how primitive that bike is by todays standards, but in its time........
I know it was strictly a straight line machine with poor handling and no stopping power, etc., but I liken it to the way muscle cars of yesteryear performed vs. today. I'm a performance oriented guy that's since had a myriad of 4 cylinder Japanese bikes from 550 to 1150 cc displacement. I'm now considering buying a Hellcat and/or another bike since it's been over ten years since my last one.
I've never been a tourer or cruiser since going fast around turns has always been my thing. At my age now, the days of leaning over the tank and front forks are over. I favor naked bikes with more moderate riding positions and easy access for maintenance and cleaning as well as the look.
The reliability of Japanese bikes has always been a plus, but I've always wanted something a bit more exotic, like a Ducati. I owned a V4 Interceptor that sounded and felt amazing at full throttle, so I have to think a V4 Italian bike might do it for me, but they're not giving them away either. The 2019 Ducati Streetfighter V4 prototype that Carlin Dunne crashed at Pikes Peak is awesome. If they put that engine in a Monster or other naked variant, I'd seriously consider one, but then again, Honda's supposed to be introducing a new V4 engine for 2020 also.
I know there are going to be Harley or (fill in manufacturer of choice here) loyalists and such here, and I respect that much the same as Mustang, Camaro, Challenger enthusiasts favor their choices. Im also familiar with the other top naked bike choices out there, but I'm wondering what others here would choose for their bike under $20,000? It will be interesting to see what "does it" for other Challenger owners that don't desire full fairing, leaned over, back breaking machines.
So what's your bike of choice and reason why?

·
Registered
2016 Challenger SRT
3,667 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
2016 Challenger SRT
3,667 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wow, tough crowd here today! I was thinking something more in line with this:

·
Registered
289 Posts
Been riding over 20 years and all have been Japanese sportbikes. Currently have a 2016 Yamaha R1. This thing is ridiculous and should not be street legal. I love it.
9636361D-0A4E-46D5-B271-221B3628E244.jpeg

·
Registered
955 Posts
I started riding late, in 2006 at age 49.

First one was a little Kawi KLX 250 that I loved out on the trails. Not long after that I bought a Yamaha FZ 6 which I thought was a hoot but it was uncomfortable for more than a short ride. I traded it on a 013 Suzuki V-Strom 650. I bought it with the idea of doing some long distance rides as these are known for their reliability. I do miss the FZ6 as it was just a blast.

·
Registered
740 Posts
If I had this bike I could say my car is a Challenger and my motorcycle is a Challenger.

120 HP, water cooled engine, performance oriented.

It’s the new 2020 Indian Challenger.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2018 Scat Pack SHAKER in Plum Crazy
818 Posts
If I was buying a bike now for serious use, I would get a Ural with driven side car, no doubt about it.
If I was getting one as a toy, it would be something that was crazy when I was young, like a Suzuki GS1100, or maybe a Vmax or Sabre. If I was getting one to put in the back of a Jeep Gladiator (another dream) it would be a nice street-trail.
I have had a Yamaha DT175 when I was young, and a couple other motorcycles. NOTHING give you the feeling of riding a dirt bike on the street, the closest is a nice capable Jeep. Riding in traffic, pull into a parking lot and drive right over parking curbs, down a flight of stairs where ever you want.
Wait, I have to add in 1 more, RZ500. I had a RD350, and it was a hoot. Another "nothing beats a" with all the 4 valve, 5 valve bikes, nothing beats a NO VALVE bike, love the 2 strokes on the street.
I did seriously consider a V-Rod for a while, but ever since I got rid of my GS550E for a Shelby Charger Turbo, I said I'll never get another bike (but that Ural calls me)

·
Registered
2016 Challenger SRT
3,667 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I appreciate everyone's different perspectives on bikes. The variety of offerings available for everyones different riding styles is what makes things interesting. There's no one bike that fits all that I know of and that's probably a good thing.

·
Registered
2016 Challenger SRT
3,667 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
For cruising, that belt drive is nice due to the lack of maintenance and cleaning involved. I had a shaft driven bike which was equally low maintenance and very reliable. I like the low seat height of that Harley. It must be nice to stop and actually be able to place both feet flat on the ground too!

·
Registered
2015 R/T PLUS Billet Silver Metallic
38 Posts
1998 Harley Softail Custom,, Andrews EV-46 cam, S+S super E,,Dyna 2000 ignition,, Vance +Hines pipes,,Barnett kevlar clutch,,and various other mods,,,, is all I need (for now ),,,,,,,,,,,,,,

·
Registered
2016 Challenger SRT
3,667 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
1998 Harley Softail Custom,, Andrews EV-46 cam, S+S super E,,Dyna 2000 ignition,, Vance +Hines pipes,,Barnett kevlar clutch,,and various other mods,,,, is all I need (for now ),,,,,,,,,,,,,,
View attachment 980720
I'm thinking Dan suzukirench wasn't an option for your avatar here lol. What's not to like?

·
Registered
2015 R/T PLUS Billet Silver Metallic
38 Posts
I'm thinking Dan suzukirench wasn't an option for your avatar here lol. What's not to like?
Hey I also started out on a 1972 H-1,,mine was a little chopped though,,fast as hell,,,,,my name reflects my previous career,,,working at Harley shops,,,,,,,,,,,,,but I don't discriminate ,,,,,,,,,,,

·
Registered
665 Posts
Started riding at 15 on a liitle "76 Honda XL-100, been riding Harley's for the last 25 years or so. I must admit I slowed way down since I bought my Challenger as it seems a lot more fun and safe than riding with all the fools out there on the road now a days trying to kill you. I hate to admit it but the bikes just mostly sit in the barn now collecting dust, here's what I have in my stable now along with my little motor bicycle play toy I built a few years ago..........

Dyna.jpg Custom.jpg bike.jpg bike2.jpg

·
Registered
2016 Challenger SRT
3,667 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Hey I also started out on a 1972 H-1,,mine was a little chopped though,,fast as hell,,,,,my name reflects my previous career,,,working at Harley shops,,,,,,,,,,,,,but I don't discriminate ,,,,,,,,,,,
View attachment 980721
Then you know exactly what a 3 cylinder two stroke felt like. It's essentially like having a 6 cylinder 4 stroke engine in terms of the number of firing impulses. I just wish I could have tried the 750 cc H2 back then. Two strokes polluted like Hell though. I remember opening the throttle up wide open after going slow for awhile. The smoke screen generated behind me likely killed every mosquito for a mile!
Anyway, my initial post here was meant to show what got me into street bikes and no doubt we've all moved on from there (that was over 45 years ago). I'm not down on Harleys and don't discriminate either. I was just poking fun at there being no surprise linking your bike with the avatar lol.
The mere fact that someone appreciates and has experienced what motorcycling brings to the table works for me!

1 - 20 of 79 Posts