·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Thanks for posting, good video, that driver was all over that track! :laugh2:
I thought he gave you all you needed to know when he said,

"The footprint is more Tahoe than the 911,
and the weight is more minivan than MG,
and the engine is more drag car than anything else."

The Wide Body to me seems almost pointless beyond giving you a chance to buy a Hell Cat that looks like a Demon at first blush.

This car will never shine at a road course. It's still all about it's straight line speed at the drag strip. The $6,000 saved by taking a pass on this option will pay for a lot of rear tires and some better drag strip wheels for the back of a "regular body" Hell Cat.

Dodge may come out with a car with serious Road Course intent at some point in the future but let's face it.....why sugar coat it? The Challenger as it stands today isn't and won't be "that car". Even with MASSIVE HP and Torque, brakes that are among the best available in a Street car today you can't overcome basic physics. The car is just too big and too heavy for this kind of use. A serious effort would require a loss of nearly 1000pds.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I don't understand the big deal people arguing the merits or negatives about the Hellcats (wide or normal version) and its track ability.

No one would buy a Hellcat to road race it. That's dumb. You can get a used 2013 Viper for $60K that is an awesome road race car. Or a new Corvette, or a Camaro/Mustang. Any of 'em cheaper than a Cat. (except top of the line of course.)

The Hellcat is a big, supremely comfortable, good handling (not race ready of course) super powerful, super beautiful, super cool, awesome Grand Touring car. Also, with the A8 it's a fantastic daily driver. It will destroy any European or Japanese GT car in it's price range of $60-70K, and IMO that's a wonderful thing. If your opinion differs, so be it buy a Benz or Beemer and enjoy the ego boost provided by paying for the maintenance!

LOL!

·
Registered
162 Posts
I still wish (and frankly don't understand why its not available) that the Challenger had an option for a HUD. I mean come on. My dad just bought an 08 Vette and it has a HUD, Oh and power adjustable seats with a manual over-ride to get into the back seat. My buddies Audi A5 has that function and his prior BMW 3 series coup, had that.

Its odd sometimes. There are so many great features packed into the FCA center stack and infotainment, as well as pretty comfortable seats, but on the other side, we lack a few of the other "pony" cars features out there.

·
Registered
14,391 Posts
The HUD is something I would like to see and it does seem odd they can't figure out a way to get two nice front power passenger seats and still let you quickly get out of the back seat in an emergency.

My SRT passenger seat doesn't even have lumbar! Come on FCA, you can do better here!

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
I don't understand the big deal people arguing the merits or negatives about the Hellcats (wide or normal version) and its track ability.

No one would buy a Hellcat to road race it. That's dumb. You can get a used 2013 Viper for $60K that is an awesome road race car. Or a new Corvette, or a Camaro/Mustang. Any of 'em cheaper than a Cat. (except top of the line of course.)

The Hellcat is a big, supremely comfortable, good handling (not race ready of course) super powerful, super beautiful, super cool, awesome Grand Touring car. Also, with the A8 it's a fantastic daily driver. It will destroy any European or Japanese GT car in it's price range of $60-70K, and IMO that's a wonderful thing. If your opinion differs, so be it buy a Benz or Beemer and enjoy the ego boost provided by paying for the maintenance!

LOL!
Spot on!! Great post!

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
The HUD is something I would like to see and it does seem odd they can't figure out a way to get two nice front power passenger seats and still let you quickly get out of the back seat in an emergency.

My SRT passenger seat doesn't even have lumbar! Come on FCA, you can do better here!

Be Careful how much you ask for. These things add up quick when you start to really pile 'em on. It wouldn't be especially hard to drive up the price of a new Challenger this loaded up to a place where they could be hard to sell.

Hell Cats at the typical Price of a Corvette is acceptable because Dodge doesn't expect to sell nearly so many and it has a place in the line up as a true "halo car".

The Demon is too limited for this position and like the Ford GT it's not so much a Halo car as it is a tester to probe the high end of what buyers might be willing to pay for a truly EXCLUSIVE car with a Dodge name plate.

Is there a place for a far more Luxurious Challenger? Maybe......but for a car that already requires you to spend more to achieve something closer to the same level of straight line performance as it's closest competitors (392 option really is required).....you probably wouldn't have to add a whole lot of luxury to lose sales to a budget minded Camaro SS or Mustang Gt. At the end of day I really doubt most of the buyers of a Challenger, Mustang or Camaro are prioritizing luxury beyond the basics.

·
Super Moderator
15,555 Posts

The early years '08 - '10 had lumbar adjustment, from '11 on up with the seat redesign, that feature went away.

There are easy-entry power seats used in a lot of 2-door models, FCA didn't go with this - even though they had access to the Mercedes parts, which their two door models use that feature.
-my '01 has this feature on both driver and pass side seats.

Reactions: jjpogi
1 - 11 of 11 Posts