Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all.
It's been awhile since I've been online. I am taking a job in California. My car is actually already on a transporter and due to be delivered on Wednesday. One thing I totally spaced on were exhaust regulations in California and how they may differ. I don't have a living situation set up yet, I'll be staying at an Extended Stay while I search for something. I imagine the regs are required once you have taken up residence in Cali, but I could be wrong.

Does anyone know what I need to do? Do we modify the cars? Or what?

I have a 2009 Challenger R/T with a Diablo tuner and an AirRaid CAI.

Thanks in advance everyone.

·
Registered
456 Posts
A few of CAI are carb legal for California, just make sure the CARB sticker of number is on it or the car when you have to take it for smog. some shops don't even look for it and others are picky. Just luck of the draw. some people keep the car registered out of state but by law if your a resident now they want you to do in California ($) I know a guy who drove for 5 years with an out of state plate until he traded in for a new car.

·
Premium Member
1,732 Posts
You will need to:

1. Have the car visually inspected at DMV to verify that the VIN matches, etc.
2. Get it SMOG tested. As already mentioned above, you will need to get a CARB sticker from AirRaid and have it adhered prominently for the SMOG tester to see it
3. Once you get those things done, you can pay your --hefty-- registration and get your plates

People like to complain about how expensive it is to register a car in California; and it is. However, I have been to the four corners of this state and it is a stunningly beautiful place...and there is always some publicly maintained coastal, desert or mountain road with the most breathtaking vistas and twisties on which to have a blast in a Challenger.

Welcome to California!

Reactions: KaptainSpaulding

·
Premium Member
1,732 Posts
Not to be a dick to those shoveling snow, but this is what Southern California looks like in February

Reactions: Hitman_

·
Super Moderator
16,204 Posts
You'll also have biennial emissions inspections for registering your vehicle.

Be prepared, as CA bases the registration fees on the value of the vehicle, which is amortized over a 10-year period and then drops to a base fee.

Essentially its a form of personal property tax, but at least its not the former 2% of value rate as it was in years past.

Several counties also have smog abatement program fees added into the DMV registration, so this varies from region to region in CA counties.

·
Premium Member
9,658 Posts
Enjoy your new home state, good luck.

·
Registered
252 Posts
HAHA Great view. It is 74 today here in Northern Cali and I drove the Challenger in to work for the hell of it. As for the car. If you don't have the CARB sticker call air raid. They might ask you to send them a picture of the airraid on the car with the registration. K&N did that to me when I lost it. Stay AWAY from long tube headers unless you want to remove them every couple years. Other then that you should be fine. And having the Diablo tune wont matter just make sure there are no CEL codes on the dash. Welcome to Cali. Yeahs its expensive, but we make pretty good money to. As for that whole weather/women thing. Nothing finer in these states lol.

Reactions: aldo90731

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok, so I just started the registration process. I was pleasantly surprised. I was expecting a registration fee in the $1k range, but it was set at $192. I got the process started, now I have to wait for the CARB sticker before I got to the smog Test.
Does anyone know what I need to do if I fail the smog test? I was told you need to get it fixed but I can't get a clear price estimate of what it would cost. Does anyone know? I'm trying to do research but can't find anything.
Thanks in advance!

:domotwak:

·
Premium Member
1,732 Posts
Challengers are built to meet 50 state emissions. Unless you have made other modifications, your car should pass SMOG test provided the CAI is CARB approved (hence the sticker).

If for some reason it fails, you will need to fix whatever is causing it to fail --e.g., catalytic converter, etc.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Also, according to Diablo Sport, the Predator tuners are not CARB E.O. Legal, so I'll be putting on the stock tune. I cleaned out my CAI on Sunday in preparation as well.
:phone::redblob::bigmouth::badrazz::smoker::scatter:

·
Premium Member
1,732 Posts
Are you driving it, towing it or having it shipped?

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I had it shipped on Feb 21st. I picked it up when I got to LA on the 26th. I am currently driving it.

And sadly, the second day I was here, my car got into a fight with a Parking Garage Support Pillar and lost. So, now I have a friggin' dent in the driver's side fender that needs to be repaired. Argh.

I have photos on my phone, but I was having a pain in the butt trying to load them.
:2232censored::2232censored::2232censored::slant::slant::slant::icon_cry::icon_cry::icon_cry:

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Also, according to Diablo Sport, the Predator tuners are not CARB E.O. Legal, so I'll be putting on the stock tune. I cleaned out my CAI on Sunday in preparation as well.
:phone::redblob::bigmouth::badrazz::smoker::scatter:
When you put the stock tune back in, you cannot have it smog tested, as it will fail. It will state "not ready".

You need to take a few long drives before the PCM is ready, around 100 miles or so.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
When you put the stock tune back in, you cannot have it smog tested, as it will fail. It will state "not ready".

You need to take a few long drives before the PCM is ready, around 100 miles or so.
Really? Why exactly is that? I will switch it back to stock today. Why would that make a difference?

·
Super Moderator
16,204 Posts
Really? Why exactly is that? I will switch it back to stock today. Why would that make a difference?
If your tune doesn't have rear 02 shut off or anything like that...you should pass.

When the system isn't in ready state (every time you load a new tune or re-load your stock tune), its a hassle to operate the car through enough cold start/warm up cycles and hot start / drive cycles to get the system in ready state to pass the inspection.

I brought mine in last year for the biennial smog inspection (they plug the OBD-II connector to their systems for the smog inspection) and passed w/o any issues with a custom DS tune.

Reactions: USRWDV8

·
Registered
332 Posts
Not to be a dick to those shoveling snow, but this is what Southern California looks like in February

Yeah, but now you have to show the traffic on the 405 or Long Beach Fwy, or the 10 or 60 or 210 or 57........Also don't forget the smog photos too. :grinbiginvert:

I have to say it's nice down by the beach (after the marine layer rolls out). I lived out there for 35 years and I miss it, but I don't.

Although after the 65+ inches of snow here this year....I'm ready to go back to the smog and traffic! :icon_smile:

1 - 20 of 42 Posts