Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm starting my job in Atlanta in a couple of weeks and I need to get my Challenger over there. I have to rent a truck to move so now I just need to consider the car.

What do y'all think:
rent U-Haul car carrier (not the tower but the actual trailer) and tow with U-Haul truck

-OR-

ship via Dependable Auto Shippers
???

Obviously shipping the car separately is more convenient but it is also much more expensive (~$800).

Does anyone have experience with the U-Haul car carrier with a Challenger or DAS that can recommend for or warn against either option?

Thanks in advance.

·
Banned
675 Posts
I'd advise you to tow it yourself

·
Premium Member
15 Posts
If you use the Uhaul make sure you leave early and stop often...I have towed a number of my own cars and no issues. If you get the car hauled I know a guy that we use and I can get you his number, they broker everything but they are the best! We use them to ship to all of our customers and people have been really happy with them.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
I would drive the Challenger and find someone to drive the stinkin U Haul.

Just think of the difference in driving the two over 1500 miles.

And NO WAY in hell am I towing the car.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I would drive the Challenger and find someone to drive the stinkin U Haul.

Just think of the difference in driving the two over 1500 miles.

And NO WAY in hell am I towing the car.

I wish I had another driver but I don't so that is not an option, unfortunately.

Why not tow it? Bad experience?

·
Registered
5 Posts
I would suggest a best friend that would be willing to drive your challenger for free. Do you have any of these best friends?

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I do have friends that would be more than willing to help. It's just that I have to leave during the week and Bethune I know is working.

·
Premium Member
669 Posts
If you use the Uhaul make sure you leave early and stop often...I have towed a number of my own cars and no issues. If you get the car hauled I know a guy that we use and I can get you his number, they broker everything but they are the best! We use them to ship to all of our customers and people have been really happy with them.
What he said...

·
Registered
460 Posts
I moved cross-state about 8 years ago and put my Ford Ranchero at the time on a flat U-Haul trailer and hauled it the distance. No problems at all.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I've towed mine with a uhaul. The only problem is you won't be able open your car door once it's on the trailer. I climbed out of the car via the sunroof.

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for all the advice.

The U-Haul carrier side folds over so that your car door doesn't hit it so I won't have to worry about getting in and out racecar style!

·
Registered
558 Posts
Having done my share of long distance DIY moves, and having had similar problems with 'how do i get my other car there' issues I highly recommend a container move. There are many options, and i've only used ABF Freight and their U-Pack option myself, but i'm considering trying PODS move for my upcoming return to FL. I've used ABF for two moves, NH to FL, and FL to MD, and i will NEVER use U-Haul for a move again. I used (1-1/4) 28' Trailers from NH to FL, and thier containers for FL to MD move. The pods were great for an Apartment move, because they fit into a parking space and were a breeze to load/unload. I saved almost $3k on my NH move compared to U-Haul, and once loaded up, all i had to drive was my truck with motorcycle in the bed and some luggage to FL. I didn't have any of the concerns of trailering, tolls, avoiding certain roads (coudn't take my favorite NYC bypass) and relying on a usually poor performing rental truck and equipment. PM me if there is any info or questions i can answer for you.........and NO, I don't work for them.........LOL.

Containers to move your stuff, and your challenger to move you, easy

·
Registered
50 Posts
Obviously, having it shipped would be much more expensive than renting a U-Haul trailer and pulling it behind the truck. I rented one of their trailers to move a Corvette several years ago and had no issues whatsoever. Just don't get yourself into a situation where you have to do much backing up with the trailer unless you are used to doing that.

:eek:hthedrama:

·
Registered
411 Posts
I have towed many cars with the U haul car carrier. Try and get the newest one they have on the lot. The fender folds over so you can open the door and the weight should be no issue at all. Do NOT put a car cover on it while towing it...it will beat on the side of your car and may damage the paint. Dont ask me how I know this.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,276 Posts
I've heard horror stories about U-Haul. (Google "Uhaul sucks" and read...)
I might suggest an alternate, if you decide to trailer it. Somebody like Penske.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I would just drive it there first, take a taxi to the airport, fly back and then move all your other stuff. I did the reverse when I bought a car on eBay from Florida.

·
Registered
311 Posts
I drove mine from SE Texas to NE Florida when I first moved back in August. I then... for whatever reason, towed it the what... 400 miles down to West Palm Beach? Where I now live. Go figure.

The 900 mile trip went well I suppose. Oh the miles... THE MILES! ahhhhhhh

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Do NOT put a car cover on it while towing it...it will beat on the side of your car and may damage the paint. Dont ask me how I know this.
Haha it's funny that you mention this because I was considering doing just that but I figured it would rub the paint off in certain areas. There really is no way to cover the car on a trailer unless the trailer is covered. Oh well. It's no worse than driving the car itself.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Haha it's funny that you mention this because I was considering doing just that but I figured it would rub the paint off in certain areas. There really is no way to cover the car on a trailer unless the trailer is covered. Oh well. It's no worse than driving the car itself.
FYI...saran wrap doesnt work well either.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts