Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I plan on moving to CA next year. I was looking at headers and exhaust, and have a Diablosport Tuner on order. I noticed a lot of the aftermarket parts are not legal in CA. Do they actually check for these parts during emissions? And will my AZ car be OK in CA? It's a 2016 SRT.

·
Vendor
12,274 Posts
moving to car hell....be very careful, legally we cannot sell or ship Diablo trinity to CA
Luke

·
Registered
834 Posts
Leave your constitutional rights at the AZ border as well, unless you're there illegally, then you should be good to go.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Technically all aftermarket parts must have an EO number. I'd also make sure your car will blow good numbers during a smog test.You don't want your car labeled as a gross polluter. However a tester can make a visual check and fail you without testing. There is some risk.

I believe all Challengers are 50 state cars...look for the California label under the hood.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Bummer! What about my Legmaker intake? Is that regulated? Or will I need to swap the OEM out when I smog?

·
Registered
724 Posts
One good thing you can use any race gas as long as it is for dyno tuning and at the track. There are a couple cai that are legal but no headers. Any cat back exhaust is ok as long as the cats and all mufflers are on. I am not sure if the catch can is legal any more.

·
Super Moderator
15,400 Posts
Bummer! What about my Legmaker intake? Is that regulated? Or will I need to swap the OEM out when I smog?
probably check to see if your intake has EO and if so, the decal / label for it if applicable...otherwise, you'd have to swap to stock for inspection.

When you bring a vehicle to CA - you have to get emissions check and pass both visual and ODB-II tests.

·
Premium Member
9,365 Posts
Now I know why there are so many California plates in New Jersey lately, they escaped the looney bin.
You may want to reconsider that move.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Would be nice if I could keep the car registered in AZ. Maybe I just need to get a Hellcat and stop modding.

·
Super Moderator
15,400 Posts
Would be nice if I could keep the car registered in AZ. Maybe I just need to get a Hellcat and stop modding.
Not with CA - they keep a watch for out-of-state plates...they want their $$$ from registrations - if there's a $$$ opportunity, it won't get passed up.

Especially for:

>Oregon
>Nevada
>Arizona

since those states border CA and often have less expensive vehicle registration fees or less stringent emissions inspections (or both).

I used to live in CA and had friends that worked for CHP - got the rundown from them.

·
Super Moderator
15,400 Posts
Now I know why there are so many California plates in New Jersey lately, they escaped the looney bin.
You may want to reconsider that move.
That would be surprising for NJ - the winters there are quite something different from CA, unless you live in No. Cal along the Sierras.

Most folks that opt to move to CA from wherever they're usually do it for the milder weather.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Just keep your vehicle registered out of state and you should be good. They can't do anything for a vehicle registered out of state and you can do and keep anything you want on your vehicle. I have several friends that just keep their registration in Oregon to prevent being harassed by the smog laws.

If you are planning on getting a Cali registration, get to know the people on that do the smog checks and they can typically help you out. Ask around and you can keep anything and everything on your car but it will cost you. It is a pain in the rear paying $200-$250 for a $20 smog check every couple of years because you want to keep your mods.

·
Premium Member
3,198 Posts
You are the only person (legal U.S. citizen that is) that I have ever heard moving TO the PDRC. If I may ask, why?

·
Super Moderator
15,400 Posts
Here's the rundown from CA DMV - basically military gets exempted and that's about it.

New residents to California are required to register their vehicle(s) within 20 days of establishing residency. Find your local DMV office and make an appointment to register your vehicle.

Residency in California applies to anyone who:

Is employed in California.
Claims tax exemptions for a home in California.
Rents or leases a home or apartment.
Applies for state documents (driver's license, voter registration, etc.).
Enrolls themselves or their dependents in any type of school (college, grade school, high school, etc).
NOTE: These rules do not apply to members of the military or their families who are residents of another state.

and another point (DL):
Driver's License and ID Cards in CA
While you can drive in California with an out-of-state driver's license if you're just visiting, once you establish residency in the state, you'll need to apply for a California driver's license.

Adult Driver's License
New California residents must obtain a California driver's license within 10 days of moving to the state. If you're 18 years old or older

California has a lot of Highway Patrol units - compared to other states that may have a lower ratio of LEO to population, so you'll get spotted and if you're trying to claim being out of state...you'll get popped for it if the residency proof shows otherwise.

·
Registered
2015 SRT, 6 Speed, Sublime Green
1,470 Posts
I’m not sure why there is so much California negativity in this forum. Yes, there are rules. You might understand better if you live, or have lived here. As a kid growing up in the Bay Area where there were many days when the smog was so thick you couldn’t see the hills just miles away. I’m betting you have all seen photos of the LA Basin during that era. Now there are much fewer of those days despite the exponential increase in the number of cars on the road now. Let me be clear though. Nobody likes having their vehicle smogged every two years. But it does keep the air cleaner.

I happen to live in a county where biennial smog checks are not required. The most populous areas are subject to the frequent tests. To the OP, are you moving to an area with a big population? If so, you will be subject to the restrictions. Any cars older than 1976 are exempt by the way.

I know it is popular to trash talk California because of the popular belief that everyone here is a rainbow flag totin’ tree hugger. There are a lot of them here for sure. But not everyone is I assure you. And also be assured that every region of the country has negative labels associated with them. Most people exercise the good taste not to openly insult groups of people with big wide brushes though.

·
Vendor
12,274 Posts
That would be surprising for NJ - the winters there are quite something different from CA, unless you live in No. Cal along the Sierras.

Most folks that opt to move to CA from wherever they're usually do it for the milder weather.
way cheaper and much less restriction to go south, North Carolina, Georgia etc, the foothills of the Appalachians are down right beautiful......

1 - 20 of 88 Posts