Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all! I've been relatively spoiled in my Challenger(s) since moving to the Florida panhandle 5 years ago. Can drive them year around and so long as you avoid the beach roads/areas with them, you can keep them pretty much free of sand/salt.

However...

I'll be moving to the Hampton Roads area (peninsula) of Virginia in 2 months. I was born in Richmond, VA (south-central area) but left before learning to drive there. I thought I would be ok driving the Challenger mostly year round in the Hampton area without concern for salt/rocks/ets that folks put on roads for snow. Apparently I was wrong...

After doing some research, I found out that this area is particularly bad because of this substance called "Brine." Essentially the liquid salt/magnesium mix that they spray on the roads. Great for ice/snow prevention but apparently is TERRIBLE for cars! :crying: This area in particular is supposed to be bad due to the humidity essentially activating with the Brine to hasten the rust process as well. Also the area apparently floods quite often due to the various rivers/etc that are in the area. These issues have me completely re-thinking my desire to keep the Challenger as a daily year round car.

So what I'm asking is for actual experience from like minded car junkies that deal with this situation. I didn't spend 40k on a new Scat Pack just to watch it be eaten from the bottom up. Looking for advice!!!

On a side note, I do have a second vehicle that can be driven (1996 Ford Bronco) but has its own set of issues and can be unreliable. Also debating grabbing up a New Tacoma for sale in my area as an all year round car and the Challenger goes full toy status.

As you can imagine, my self inflicted car drama has the wife rolling her eyes and telling me to do what I want...but stop talking to her about it! :eek:hthedrama:

·
Premium Member
24 Posts
I wouldn't drive it in such conditions keep it for summer and get a nice winter buggy like a jeep . My challenger is sitting in my garage right now waiting for summer I might take it out if its nice but after they start putting down brine and salt it stays in until the spring rains come and washes the salts away.

·
Premium Member
298 Posts
Hello all! I've been relatively spoiled in my Challenger(s) since moving to the Florida panhandle 5 years ago. Can drive them year around and so long as you avoid the beach roads/areas with them, you can keep them pretty much free of sand/salt.

However...

I'll be moving to the Hampton Roads area (peninsula) of Virginia in 2 months. I was born in Richmond, VA (south-central area) but left before learning to drive there. I thought I would be ok driving the Challenger mostly year round in the Hampton area without concern for salt/rocks/ets that folks put on roads for snow. Apparently I was wrong...

After doing some research, I found out that this area is particularly bad because of this substance called "Brine." Essentially the liquid salt/magnesium mix that they spray on the roads. Great for ice/snow prevention but apparently is TERRIBLE for cars! :crying: This area in particular is supposed to be bad due to the humidity essentially activating with the Brine to hasten the rust process as well. Also the area apparently floods quite often due to the various rivers/etc that are in the area. These issues have me completely re-thinking my desire to keep the Challenger as a daily year round car.

So what I'm asking is for actual experience from like minded car junkies that deal with this situation. I didn't spend 40k on a new Scat Pack just to watch it be eaten from the bottom up. Looking for advice!!!

On a side note, I do have a second vehicle that can be driven (1996 Ford Bronco) but has its own set of issues and can be unreliable. Also debating grabbing up a New Tacoma for sale in my area as an all year round car and the Challenger goes full toy status.

As you can imagine, my self inflicted car drama has the wife rolling her eyes and telling me to do what I want...but stop talking to her about it! :eek:hthedrama:

I live in HR & it isn’t nearly as bleak as you may think. We generally only get snow a few times a year so the roads are not salted frequently. And most times it snows it’s only a few inches that is gone within a few days. Nothing at all like what you see in NY, NJ, D.C., etc. Flooding is localized - widespread flooding across the whole area doesn’t happen. There is some winter risk and I understand your ocd about keeping your “toy” pristine. I’m the same way so my DD is a new Ridgeline - best of both worlds.

·
Registered
3,351 Posts
Doesn't snow there that much. If it does, wash the car (spray underneath) once the roads clear up. No biggie, it's just a car. I live in FL too. Remember that near the coast, the salt air isn't good for our cars either. Just keep them clean and they'll last a long time.

·
Registered
18 Posts
It's not nearly as bad as say Northern Virginia is with the road salts, but they do put them down if the weather gets bad. I don't take mine out until the streets are clear of that stuff. On a side note, I'm also originally from RVA, so when you get here DM me and maybe we can go for a cruise.

·
Registered
2019 Challenger 1320
2,236 Posts
In addition to brine, Virginia loves to dump sand on the roads. Does wonders for your paint finish some warm March day to have sand spun all over your front end...

(I hate Virginia; can't wait to move away)

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Don't move..........
Dont have much say in it. Uncle Sam said so...

Thanks for the replies everyone. Reading some of these articles you'd think the car will disintegrate within 3 years due to this stuff. I guess I'm freaking out a bit much.

Not telling the wife though...still gonna see if she'll let me get that truck as a daily!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts