Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been driving good all day. Really driving like a Grandma... hit 28-29 mpg according to the 2011 Challey V6. Feelsgoodman.jpg! :smokin::bigthumb:
Then I parked it, and did not drive it for one day. (rode the bike to work) Next day I crank up, pull out and hit the little button to display my MPG,... 20.. WTH? So I lost mileage by turning the engine off and letting it rest? Was the 28-29 not right to begin with? Does cranking a car take that much out of it? Do I have a gas leak?

:scratchhead::icon_evil:

·
Premium Member
629 Posts
I would never use those on board things to be my guide, take your milage the old fasion way, pen paper and filling it up stock full a few times. then see where the numbers are.

·
Registered
813 Posts
You're probably going to want to calm down about MPG before you blow a personal o-ring somewhere.

When you fire up a cold engine the computer is going to call for more fuel, it'll throw off any "gains" that you had from the previous day. I don't have EVIC in my Challenger so I'm not really familiar with it, but is it an AVG MPG or instant?

Either way, you're going to want to look at the MPGs on a larger scale than just day to day, more like tank to tank or over the course of multiple tanks.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
I think it's spelled "Chally."

·
Registered
7,683 Posts
It depends if the reading you are seeing is averaged over the tank (if so, how does it know when you filled-up?), over the day, or over the current trip. It also depends on how long you drove which yielded the avg mpg on your readout previously. If you drove a short stretch before which happened to yield that high number, it would be very easy to quickly drag that down with another stretch right after that with low readings. That is entirely possible when starting up a cold engine and crawling around the neighborhood for a while in a fuel-richen state (that typically follows a cold start).

Otoh, if you had just driven 200 mi straight the previous day, which yielded that avg mpg reading, then it would be much harder to draw that down with a short stint of low readings that happened the next time you drove it. You could drive it like a maniac for 5 min with ridiculously low 15 mpg conditions going into your average, and it might drop your previous 30 mpg average by a mere 1 point.

Then again, if your readout is just averaging minute by minute (or maybe the last 5 min), then none of that stuff above really matters. The readout is just showing whereabouts your mpg was for the past few minutes...it all depends on how long a window it is applying to bring you that average value.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
It's actually spelled "Challenger". I find Chally, Challey, sissified.
I bet the most interesting man in the world doesn't.

·
Registered
210 Posts
i get like 15 mpg and i drive city anyway to boost that up?

·
Registered
1,004 Posts

·
Registered
1,004 Posts

·
Registered
7,683 Posts
i get like 15 mpg and i drive city anyway to boost that up?
Off the top of my head (not knowing how or where you drive), I would suggest trying out the PnC strategy (Punch-it'n'Coast) on your travels. I would also recommend Union 76 gas (if you have it in your area). Maybe it doesn't brag about having the most fancy detergents, but it is no-nonsense hydrocarbons that will allow your engine to naturally run maximum timing and lean mix for maximum fuel economy and optimal output. If you have an OBD monitor, you could actually see this yourself in reported engine parameters (short of that, you'll just have to take my word on it). Even the regular grade 87 oct is good stuff to keep your timing and fuel mix lean under mildly warm weather and/or appreciable heatsoak conditions.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
I would never use those on board things to be my guide, take your milage the old fasion way, pen paper and filling it up stock full a few times. then see where the numbers are.
^^^^^ ....this. The MPG displayed in the EVIC is simply an algorithm taking several factors into consideration to produce an average. Mine has been way off in some scenarios while fairly close to accurate in others (when checked manually at the next fill-up). Verify it yourself a few times to see what you get.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts