Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are you guys and gals getting out of your challengers mpg wise?
You can be specific as around town or highway or you do both. I will be driving mostly in town probably a lot of redlights which is why I want the supercharger, well that's besides the point I digress and appologise. lol
Anyways, do you have auto or manual and do you shift through all the gears or skip from say first to third or second to fourth? I am trying to get real world economy estimates. Also, if your car is supercharged I would love to know what you are getting mpg wise as well.

Thanks,
Anthony.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Auto, city driving used to get 11.5~12. Now I'm kinda more matured so I get 13~14.5 city driving!

·
Registered
442 Posts
My auto R/T gets around 22-23 mpg combined.

I only know about SCs from what I've read. Manufacturers claim 100+ flywheel HP; your results may vary. If you're doing a lot of stop-and-go driving, I don't know if a SC is going to give you the kick you're looking for since most hit their stride at higher rpms. A SC will also tend to drop fuel efficiency.

You may consider the larger displacement 6.1 or better yet a 6.4 if you want the best bang for your buck, since a SC with installation can run you at least 7-15K and will generally void the factory power train warranty. You also have to consider the amount of boost you are looking to add; most on the forums will tell you an R/T can take up to 6 psi before upgrading internals and drive axles. SRT internals are more robust and can take a higher boost.

Do you have a Challenger Double-aaa, or are you looking to acquire one?

·
Registered
166 Posts
2010 R/T, automatic, 11 around town daily driving. That number jumps to 28 mpg's on the highway cruising at higher than posted speed limits.

·
Registered
432 Posts
16 city, 27 highway. That was last summer. During cooler weather, it drops to 15/25.

·
Registered
7,683 Posts
You guys need to give the "Punch-it'n'Coast" method a try for a tank or 2 on your cars. It will pay off in spades on city mpg and uneven hwy traffic mpg. You'll be waving "bye" to mpg's in the low teens, unless you really did something to deserve it. ;)

·
Premium Member
3,017 Posts
09 SRT auto with no performance mods.

I normally let the auto shift itself and my driving is probably 50/50 city/highway.

I average 17.5 MPG from Spring to Fall.

As soon as they switch to "winter gas" my MPG drops 1-2 MPG.

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
Daily driving, 100% city, 1/2 tank (yes, half tank) lasts me around 8-9 days. Not sure on the mpg. I kept records of my mpgs over the first year and I averaged 18.0 - 18.5 (mixed driving with a lead foot!).

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
2009 SRT8 6 speed.

14-15 in town, 22-24 hiway. I do not drive it "easy". One of these days I intend to try a tank driving like the old man I look like to see how much I can get out of it....:lol:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Justin I plan on getting one. At least an r/t. Thats why I was interested in all the mpg real world. I know they ain't great, but I was just hoping for reasonable I guess. Well, so I clearly see that the rt gets far better mpg which is good for me cause that's what I was leaning towards. It's amazing about how you drive that makes a huge difference in mpg. In my daytona when I drive it and shift from first to third or from second to fourth I get way better gas mileage. I drive like that until I just feel like running it. So I would say if I went with the r/t and just let the blower go cause to be honest, I don't really need the supercharger. I would be happy with just the r/t.

·
Registered
40 Posts
after I did the Skipshift eliminator, I was seeing single digits in the city for a while in my 10 R/T super track pack 6 speed. I think im getting around 14 now that the novelty of shifting into whatever gear I chose has worn off. Highway is not great. 2 windows up, 63 miles an hour, no A/C and im lucky to tickle 28. 75-80 A/C on, probably like 22 or less.

Sad really.

·
Registered
252 Posts
We love on a military base where the is a butt load of housing construction going on. If I stay on base I get about 17.5 mpg. Go 5 miles off base I get around 18.5 and if I kick it out on the highway I get around 23 for short trips and 27 for over 50 mile trips. Recent upswing of gas prices got me really looking at challenger gas mileage in the past few weeks lol.

2010 R/T 6spd
Mopar CAI only mod

Honestly i'm very happy with these numbers as my 2002 firebird ls1 got about 15 city 21hwy at the very best and my 94 stang v8 vert got like 14mpg no matter wth i did lol.

·
Registered
90 Posts
All city driving for me so far since I have bought my car. 2010 Auto and I am averaging 14.8 so far. Haven't had the oppurtunity to see any highway mileage yet.

·
Premium Member
103 Posts
I do 400 miles a week to and from work with 80% highway and 20% city driving. I use auto shift and cruise controll and average 20.7 to 21.4 MPG. If I disable the MDS by leaving it in manual it goes up about 1.8 MPG.

·
Registered
207 Posts
24 mpg average 2009 srt8 6 speed.On a road trip when car was new was coming through the Mojove desert about to run out of gas,was crusing at about 60 in 6th gear and had the mpg in the evic get up to 30mpg.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I got a manual R/T because i could not justify the SRT stated milage of 11 city. My R/T is rated 15 City and I get anywhere between 11-12. I would assume I would get 8-9 in a SRT. Before some of you jump on my Arse talking about "you dont buy a Challenger for the gas milage" I knew that before I bought it, if I didnt I would be driving a Prius right now. But is was the deciding factor in choosing between a R/T and a SRT. Since it is my DD, I am sort of glad considering gas here in LA is at $4.35 premium.

·
Premium Member
1,746 Posts
I got a manual R/T because i could not justify the SRT stated milage of 11 city. My R/T is rated 15 City and I get anywhere between 11-12. I would assume I would get 8-9 in a SRT. Before some of you jump on my Arse talking about "you dont buy a Challenger for the gas milage" I knew that before I bought it, if I didnt I would be driving a Prius right now. But is was the deciding factor in choosing between a R/T and a SRT. Since it is my DD, I am sort of glad considering gas here in LA is at $4.35 premium.
Try shifting it 2,4 5 in the city and see how you do.
Unless you are on a steep upgrade, the car can barely tell the difference between pulling out in 2nd vs 1st.
Just a thought... seems to work for me.

Never checked only city driving in mine, but I'm pretty sure it wouldn't drop into the 11's
Now my Ram... that's different. :disgust:

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
I just got gas about 2 hours ago, and it worked out to 17.4 MPG this time. I usually end up somewhere between 16.0 and 17.8. I got 14 once, don't know why.

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
12 city 24.5 mixed

So far on my 09 SRT 6spd, 24.53 best (1/2 highway-1/2 backroads) & around 12 worst. I only have 3300 miles on her. I wonder what a tank run on just the highway could be??? 28-29?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts