Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2014 RT /w STP 3600 miles. I drive 70-80% free way and the rest town. My last tank was 18.4 driving like a grandma. DIC is showing 20mpg right now for this week. Is it this cold weather we have been having? I have only owned the car since cold weather hit. I have a 2013 Charger RT and it gets soooo much better mileage, even with MDS off. I just don't understand why, even know I have 3.92 gears the challenger still runs 500+ less RPMs than my charger with 2.86s. Plus Challenger is lighter. What gives? I do have Trinity installed, it didn't have any impact on fuel mileage that I'm aware.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Colder weather and winter gas.

Have you changed the oil yet?

Thats exactly what I am getting, and what I got when I first bought my car.

·
Registered
7,683 Posts
Forget about good mpg in very cold weather + short city trips. From a cold start, you're gonna blow 1/2 gal of gas just on the warm-up. It's a big lump of iron up front that needs to get up to temp every time, remember. ;)

Reactions: salvy59

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
At 3600 miles the engine is still plenty tight and add winter temps. Poor mileage. Just remember that your baby wants to be opened up once in a while mileage be damned!

·
Registered
619 Posts
I get about 20-22 mpg on the freeway trips and I am using auto-stick 100% of the time.

But then again, we really didn't expect great milage from a car like this right? :icon_biggrin:

·
Registered
929 Posts
My EVIC reports 14.4 mpg avg with around 13K on the clock. It has been colder than normal but I'm not sure that's the problem since the mileage doesn't improve when the weather is warmer.
Prior to installing a modified tune from the Trinity and switching to 93 Octane gas, I was getting around 19 mpg as per EVIC per tank. I'm not using the 93 octane tune, but the stock tune with increased rev limits and throttle boosted all the way up, with a 2 percent lean condition on the lower RPMS.

I'm not sure I trust the EVIC numbers though.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Since my big cam install, I've been averaging < 12 mpg city

So I think you're ok...:blockhead:

·
Registered
619 Posts
Bad Mileage ? :O I will kill for that Mileage I'm averaging about 11.2 on my R/T jesus and Im just driving normal
Wait a minute, What is the R/T Jesus model and why didn't my dealership offer that model to me!:icon_lol:

Sorry, just couldn't resist. But anyway remember, mine was the freeway, I get about 13 in the city.

·
Vendor
12,553 Posts
my experience, economy hwy should be 22/24 auto and slightly better with manual transmission, normal easy driving,

city will vary dramatically based on driving habits, winter fuels and weather conditions can also affect it

i normally drive 7/8 miles per hour above speed limit, and hwy, behaving, will get 24 or better
city 14 to17

11 r/t stp with headers, 85mm API tbi, Mopar Corsa exhaust, Magnuson with agressive tune, more than 8lbs of boost

Luke

·
Registered
191 Posts
Wait a minute, What is the R/T Jesus model and why didn't my dealership offer that model to me!:icon_lol:

Sorry, just couldn't resist. But anyway remember, mine was the freeway, I get about 13 in the city.
Around town I get 14-16 depending on traffic. Highway, I normally get between 26-27 but a few times got low 28's.

It all depends on how you drive it but winter gas does cause a dip in MPG depending on where you are at.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
4,434 Posts
I get about 19-20 mpg from my R/T auto (3.06) in AutoStick and about 70/30 freeway/city. My Charger R/T got about 18.5, IIRC. That's taking it easy during my commute and while not mind blowing it's the best mileage I ever got from a V8 so I'm happy with that. I don't have to contend with cold weather and long warm-ups here in SoCal, just hordes of morons and zombies in traffic. A manual should do better, but with the 3.92...

·
Super Moderator
16,206 Posts
Bad Mileage ? :O I will kill for that Mileage I'm averaging about 11.2 on my R/T jesus and Im just driving normal
Its that at best 91 octane premium "gasoline" in CA, plus the cooler temps and the winter blend. If you're running 87 octane, you're really taking a hit.

·
Super Moderator
16,206 Posts

Does it bleed ATF+4 on certain days of the year??:spineyes:

·
Registered
7,683 Posts
I could see this joke going on for a while. I was quite amused with that post, too, and wanted to reply with something silly. I got nothing at the moment. ;)

·
Registered
360 Posts
I'm averaging 13-14 mpg in the city and 22-24 mpg on the highway (with MDS enabled). When I had MDS disabled I was getting 9-11 mpg in the City and between 20 - 22 MPG on the highway...

·
Registered
304 Posts
I drive 70-80% free way and the rest town. My last tank was 18.4 driving like a grandma.
I'm in agreement with others that 18 MPG is good. You are likely getting in the 20's on the freeway, but that 30% city driving will bring down the MPG. The mileage for these beasts is all over the map, depending on so many factors.

Here is a thread where I posted my MPG by the tankful last year -- it ranged from 12.5 MPG to 21.6 MPG.

http://www.challengertalk.com/forums/f37/year-2013-miles-per-gallon-my-rt-151353/#post2022305

·
Premium Member
4,034 Posts

Yes, I have seen one in GWE, and it had this sticker from the factory: sticker_what_would_jesus_do_0.jpg

:saythat:

Reactions: dino and USRWDV8

·
Premium Member
5,641 Posts
Maybe you bought the wrong car...

If you are concerned about gas mileage, perhaps you should get another car. Don't get me wrong. I won't do a cam swap, because I do not want worse mileage, but this is a musclecar.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts