Dodge Challenger Forum banner
21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
When I picked up my car from Alabama and drove it back to Florida, I averaged 28 mpg on the display, however I think that is over-inflated. Now when I check the trip odometer and divide it by the number of gallons I pump when I fill up, it is usually between 21-22 mpg.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Just drove my ‘19 SXT GT from MI to NY via the OH & PA turnpikes with varying speeds (lots of construction) and the trip computer shows just over 31 mpgs. A/C on the whole time with a fully loaded car. Very happy with this car!

·
Premium Member
3,536 Posts
Just drove my ‘19 SXT GT from MI to NY via the OH & PA turnpikes with varying speeds (lots of construction) and the trip computer shows just over 31 mpgs.
I'll just tell you this... The PA Turnpike is perpetually under construction. :LOL:

I'm glad you are loving your car!

• Haha
Reactions: DirectConnection

·
Premium Member
3,536 Posts
So, last weekend I traveled from the Baltimore area to Pittsburgh, Pa. Many mountains in between. It's a little over 4 hours drive each way. I was mostly on cruise control between 70-75 MPH. When I got back here, the MPG calculator on my dash said 32.4 MPG.

Reactions: Harbor

·
Registered
353 Posts
So, last weekend I traveled from the Baltimore area to Pittsburgh, Pa. Many mountains in between. It's a little over 4 hours drive each way. I was mostly on cruise control between 70-75 MPH. When I got back here, the MPG calculator on my dash said 32.4 MPG.
Well done! I’m going back to MI in a couple days but doubt I can top your numbers. That 8 speed tranny is amazing.

·
Premium Member
3,536 Posts
That 8 speed tranny is amazing.
I just wanted to comment on this. I've had 2 6 cylinder Challengers before my 2016. The first had a 4 speed transmission(a total dog), the second had a 5 speed transmission. It was better. I agree with you... This 8 speed is amazing.

·
Registered
211 Posts
The key to fuel mileage is cruising rpms. 1500 or so great mileage 1750 good, 2000 plus, decent but not great.
The average speed can vary car to car due to different drive ratios.
My challenger gets 33-34 mpg at 65 mph. 30-31 mpg at 75 mph. And 26-28 mpg at 85 mph.
All calculations on flat ground with cruise control on. At least 10 miles each

·
Premium Member
447 Posts
My last road trip 8 1/2 hour drive on 87 octane I got 29.7 mpg. hand calculated doing 75 to 80 mph. On the way back 8 1/2 hour drive again on 87 octane doing 75 to 80 mph I got 29.4. I only stopped for fuel each way so I wasn't messing around while driving although a few times got up to 95 mph. My car has always gotten great mileage as long as I drove normally but it drops to 18 to 22 depending on my foot messing around on the back roads. I've always used 87 octane in it. My 2018 SXT plus has 30,600 miles on the clock now and yep I bought it new in October 2018 it had 1.2 miles on it.

·
Premium Member
2011 SRT8 392 BGE Supercharged Toxic Orange
1,616 Posts
I should stay out of this conversation/ I really should.. I tried, . but I just can't. I tried, honest.
I have a 2011 SRT8 - when new (prior to any mods) ... I actually cared about fuel efficiency. I would run the car at 1500-1900 RPMs. Doing this I could get 23 MPG maybe 25.

Then, post mods (SuperCharger and lots of ooph), I get (average) 13 MPG, under normal driving (I mean - speed limit stuff). If I stick my foot in it I can actually (literally) watch the gas gauge move.
I'm not saying I did, but if I did run my car, wicked fast, on the highway under boost for an extended period (say, 1 minute), I had to look for a gas station... I could easily have emptied my tank in under 15 minutes.

So, I know all ya all care about fuel mileage, and let me tell ya I am grateful. But please don't use 93 Octane, keep that for me.

·
Registered
2021 Challenger R/T Shaker • F8 Green • 5.7 Liter Hemi • 6 Speed Manual
204 Posts
I should stay out of this conversation/ I really should.. I tried, . but I just can't. I tried, honest.
I have a 2011 SRT8 - when new (prior to any mods) ... I actually cared about fuel efficiency. I would run the car at 1500-1900 RPMs. Doing this I could get 23 MPG maybe 25.

Then, post mods (SuperCharger and lots of ooph), I get (average) 13 MPG, under normal driving (I mean - speed limit stuff). If I stick my foot in it I can actually (literally) watch the gas gauge move.
I'm not saying I did, but if I did run my car, wicked fast, on the highway under boost for an extended period (say, 1 minute), I had to look for a gas station... I could easily have emptied my tank in under 15 minutes.

So, I know all ya all care about fuel mileage, and let me tell ya I am grateful. But please don't use 93 Octane, keep that for me.
That's the reason those of us who are sane bought these cars. Fuel efficiency doesn't even blip my meter. It's the smiles per miles that case me to love my car.

I can get 20mpg if I only get on it now and then and in city traffic doing that more often is stupid. And out on the Interstate I run the speed limit on cruise control.

But now and then when some joker in one of these four banger cardboard cars with the obnoxious exhaust want to run it, I do kinda show him what American muscle is all about.

Once gas gets to $10/gal will be time enough to start driving sanely. But for today, launch that baby at every opportunity!

21 - 33 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.