Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

I am from Austria/Europe (no kangoroos ;-) ) and currently travelling the US with my family. I am following all your threads and posts about the HC now for a very long time and yesssss, of course I have to get this kitty asap. Now there are two things that are crossing my minds for days:

- Does anybody know if you can change the speedometer settings from miles per hours to kilometer per hours?

- any recommendations for a dealer (PM would be great) - I am right now in SoCali (Newport Beach area) - next week I will be around Scottsdale, AZ. As I am already in US it would be the best for me to order the Hellcat right now - makes things much easier that doing this from Austria. Yeaahh, I know that the order banks are still not open but a preorder and a deposit would do it for me. ... and of course I am also eagier not to pay a premium on the MSRP.

Further I would like to say thank you to all of the great guys out there who makes this forum a wonderful place ... so much intel on the hellcat I was able to find here ... and I also can feel the passion everyone has on this new beast (Y)

cheers & keep on rockin'
Alex

·
Registered
166 Posts
#1 i'm sure you can as you can on current SRTs with 1 button push.

#2 the dealer i'm no help.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Buy a Canadian hellcat.

Or follow the little numbers. If the dash is digital, you should be able to change everything to metric via the evic. No one really knows yet as no one has one.

You might have other issues in Europe. I thought they had a rule about having functional side marker lights that work with the signal lights and amber rear signal lights? The current challengers have neither. Some things you might have to look into when importing.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks for the hints so far! I am not concered about the other stuff like signal lights and so on - it will be my 3rd car that I will import from the US. But the mph vs kph speedometer in the dash is an issue. What I have seen from the pics that I have found in the Internet there are no small numbers in kph compared to other Challengers

Isn't the hellcat more expensive in Canada?

·
Registered
22 Posts
thanks for the hints so far! I am not concered about the other stuff like signal lights and so on - it will be my 3rd car that I will import from the US. But the mph vs kph speedometer in the dash is an issue. What I have seen from the pics that I have found in the Internet there are no small numbers in kph compared to other Challengers

The local newspapers were quoting just a few thousand more for the Canadian HC. Once you factor in the 7-9% difference in the exchange rate it would be very close to the same cost for you to buy a Canadian model since I assume you would be converting from euro's.

·
Registered
305 Posts

Well, on regular challengers, we can get the speed as a digital display as well as a speedometer. It is very easy to change the digital display from mph to kph so im sure you will be able to do the same with the hellcat.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have talked to a canadian friend of mine who told me that if I want to export the car to Europe that I also have to pay 13 % tax, Needs to be registered first and has to be "driven from the lot" - this would not be the case with a car bought in the US - no tax on these ones. Your thoughts on this issue?

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
I have talked to a canadian friend of mine who told me that if I want to export the car to Europe that I also have to pay 13 % tax, Needs to be registered first and has to be "driven from the lot" - this would not be the case with a car bought in the US - no tax on these ones. Your thoughts on this issue?
Depends where you are in Canada. 5% GST (Goods & Service Tax) and 7% or 8% harmonization tax. So your friend must be in another province.

Alberta only has GST (5%).

The other concern is warranty. If I go to the states and buy the car there, the warranty is null and void in Canada. Not sure what the implications are if you exported it to another country? If you've already done it a few times, you should know better than me. Cuts down on cross border purchases and protects the Canadian dealers. Sucks X 1

Finding a Canadian dealership to sell it to you at MSRP. If you can... get in line behind me...lol. I'm not going to another province just to pay and extra 7 or 8% Harmonization tax. Sucks X 2

Getting a Hellcat in Canada might be a little harder as well. Canada has a population of around 25 million. NY city has that by itself, so the numbers coming to Canada will be lower. Suck X 3

One of the dealers I inquired with said they would ADM factory orders due to allotment. Might only be the initial allotment... so you, like me, might have to wait until reality sets back into the equation. Suck X 4

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
With all what I've read above I think I will go with an US Hellcat. Sperdometer can sure be digitale set to kph, availability is better than in CAN, warranty isn't an issue at all for me as the car has none of it in Europe anyway and no tax on exports in the US.

Any suggestions on dealer in South Cali or Arizona (Scottsdale)?

Thanks all of you for your help so far.

Cheers
Alex

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.