Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I finally purchased a Super Stock hood from Mr. Norms. It arrived undamaged, the hood is extremely light weight (fiberglass), and looks good other than a few negatives that shouldn't have existed on a hood this expensive. The hood had 5 large dips, and requires a buttload of sanding to get it straightened out. Some areas were sanded almost through the gel coat, but it's about 95% better than it was. After a coat of primer, more sanding, and another primer coat, it's very smooth/straight. The underside of the hood where the scoop is has bare fiberglass (pictured), which looks like crap, and the hole for the hood latch looks like it was cut out with box cutters. The areas where the clip on washer nozzles go on the lip are not cut out, so I'll have to do that myself. It's a decent hood, but far from the top quality I was expecting. I'm going to fabricate a grill in the scoop to deflect some of the water/debri from coming in while driving. The bolt sizes for the hinges are smaller than factory, but the bolts for the latch are factory size. The only thing holding the hood to the hinges are 4 nuts that are molded into the hood, I expected some sort of plate added for strength, but nope... Lots of cut corners to save money, so for total build quality I've gotta give the hood a 5 out of 10. The pictures don't show the dips unfortunately, but believe me, they were there. The hood does line up well once some adjustments are made. Getting paint on next week, just going with the factory black crystal pearl coat. I'll get more pictures up once it's completed.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
64 Posts
Thanks for taking the time to post your experience with this hood. It's a great help to others who may be looking at this hood as an option. I'm looking forward to seeing the finished hood once painted.

·
Registered
800 Posts
Ive been looking at this hood...going to give you a pm if you dont mind.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Painted and ready for stripes to go back on

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Looking good so far, just gotta add the stripes back

·
Banned
2016 R/T Scat Pack
3,889 Posts
Looks mean. Do you plan to put a mesh of any kind on the vent to prevent stuff from going in?

·
Registered
234 Posts
Looks mean. Do you plan to put a mesh of any kind on the vent to prevent stuff from going in?
No doubt, a small child could fit through that opening! :grin2:

Looks good.

Reactions: BEA5T

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
The description of the flimsy four bolt hold down does not inspire confidence. I wonder if this hood would survive high speeds or if it would turn into a kite.

·
Banned
2016 R/T Scat Pack
3,889 Posts
No doubt, a small child could fit through that opening! :grin2:

Looks good.
Or a bird. Although, if he hits a crow, it won't be too noticeable, since the rest of the car is blacked out too. :grin2:

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yup! In the process of fabbing a honeycomb mesh screen right now

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Engine stays cooler in traffic as well, about 3 degrees

·
Banned
2016 R/T Scat Pack
3,889 Posts
Engine stays cooler in traffic as well, about 3 degrees

That thing looks like going to do a burnout and leave with the soul of anyone fortunate enough to witness it in tow.

The old school R/T badge is a nice touch.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Loving this hood It does vibrate a little around the cowl though at speeds of 85mph+ since it's thin fiberglass, I'd be afraid of stressing it at 110+ so I guess no more getting crazy... Unless I were to partially block the air flowing through the scoop, maybe channel it toward my air filter instead of the entire engine compartment

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The description of the flimsy four bolt hold down does not inspire confidence. I wonder if this hood would survive high speeds or if it would turn into a kite.
I've had it up to 100 a couple times with the new hood, I don't feel comfortable with it at high speeds honestly. It starts to vibrate at the cowl, just because it's thin fiberglass. Anything below 85/90mph is no problem, but I wouldn't trust it at 110mph+. Just thinking about that hood flying off and smashing on the highway makes me cringe

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
I've had it up to 100 a couple times with the new hood, I don't feel comfortable with it at high speeds honestly. It starts to vibrate at the cowl, just because it's thin fiberglass. Anything below 85/90mph is no problem, but I wouldn't trust it at 110mph+. Just thinking about that hood flying off and smashing on the highway makes me cringe

I love the after market hood offerings these days, yours included, but the fear of them ripping off the car at highway speeds keeps me from purchasing one. With my luck, the hood would come off and hit the windshield of a personal injury lawyer.

·
Registered
880 Posts
Hood pins. I went 140+ and saw what looked like the hood was floating, but because of the pins i confident itll stay in place.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Actually I'm a little more worried about stress cracks at really high speeds being that it's such a thin hood. If I were to drop it off the roof of a building, I'm confident it would slowly glide to the ground lol

Also I debadged the nose so it's smooth like the 2011+ bumpers. This is what it used to look like

·
Registered
2019 Challenger 1320
2,236 Posts
Good info here, if not rather disappointing in the lack of quality from a name shop like Mr. Norm's...

If I end up going this route, will definitely have to look at hood pins, since I'm already at 110 mph on the strip before the mods that would require such a hood.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Took it up to 110, the hood started floating on the sides, so I slowed down fast. Scared the shit outta me. Definitely need pins, holy shit

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
What hood pins do you guys recommend? I was looking at a set of $100 pins from Dales Cuda Shop, he's been making them since 1971

1 - 20 of 31 Posts