Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I read on a thread somewhere that when we turn traction control off with the button by the radio, it does not turn completely off. We have to get the car above 15 MPH and turn the key to start position while holding the button in until a bell chimes, at which point we are relieved from the evil holdbacks of Detroit.

Sunday, while driving with my knees, I managed to make the bell ring. Mr. Squiggles lit up along with some sort of little eyechart. I drove to the back end of a large industrial park, where there is a road by a loading dock about 1000 ft long and 100+ ft wide. I thought I would work on perfecting launches with unencumbered wheels.

About 200 ft and a 180 degree spin later, I was sitting still facing the direction I had started from. I am not sure what happened in between, but the smoke didn't clear until it rained today.

From now on I think I will just hit the button.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
It's my understanding the with an R/T you can't get the nanny to turn all the way off, even with the trick.

You can with an SRT8, and I can say from personal experience that it's real easy to have the car get away from you.

When I run my car on the road course, I leave the nanny all the way on- fastest lap times that way.

Interesting though; I've found myself driving with the nanny off, but not all the way off, especially since installing new cam and valve springs. Very easy to drift if no one is around.

·
Premium Member
423 Posts
The R/T with the super track pack can be turned off by hitting and holding the ESP button while stopped or rolling less than 10MPH for 7 seconds (or thereabout). The EVIC denotes ESP disabled (ESP off in small text) rather than only having the squiggles dash light. There is a traction difference between single button press and press/hold options. Single press the computer will engage if it thinks you're way out of control. Press/hold -- hang on and hope you know how to control yourself. ;)

I generally leave the ESP on unless I plan on controlled maneuvers. Track time, I leave it on. Drags, I generally leave it on but will on occassion turn it off.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
I would image with that 2nd item in your mod list traction would become a serious problem :) Its my understanding the track pac cars have a full off if you press and hold the button. I've only done that once...

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
It's my understanding the with an R/T you can't get the nanny to turn all the way off, even with the trick.
....as mentioned, this is a feature of the STP (super track pack) option. Push the ESP button once, the system is partially disabled. ....push the ESP button and hold for 7-10 seconds while the car is stopped, the system is fully disabled. A chime will sound and (in my case at least) a message is displayed in the EVIC stating “ESP Disabled”.
The traction control icon will remain lit in either case (partial or fully off). ….as for the "key trick" I can't say.

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Through extensive and exhaustive testing, I can confirm that the key trick will indeed eliminate any intervention by the fun police. Turn key and hold while car is moving forward at 15 mph. ESP, BAS and Mr. Squiggly will illuminate. All systems reset only after the ignition has been shut off. There have also been reports that the key trick has worked at speeds as low as 5 mph. I can also confirm that the YEEHAW! factor is greatly multiplied after following this procedure.

Proceed at your own risk and by all means have fun!

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
About 200 ft and a 180 degree spin later, I was sitting still facing the direction I had started from. I am not sure what happened in between, but the smoke didn't clear until it rained today.

That would be a 360 degree spin.

·
Registered
34 Posts
i have tried holding the esp button for 10-15 seconds. nothin. i suppose my car wasnt built that way. i have yet to try the key trick. i guess it's either partial off or key trick off, nothing in between for us R/T auto guys.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

That would be a 360 degree spin.

Nope. Good geometry but bad grammar. I was pointed in the opposite direction; e.g., I started out heading west and ended up heading east. I swear I was on two wheels at one point. OK I won;t swear to it but about midway through the 180 I was leaning way to the driver's side.

Crap; I need to wear a helmet to get a loaf of bread. I am too young for this heavy responsibility.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
i have tried holding the esp button for 10-15 seconds. nothin. i suppose my car wasnt built that way. i have yet to try the key trick. i guess it's either partial off or key trick off, nothing in between for us R/T auto guys.
....ugh. Once again, you need to have the STP option. Without it, holding the button will do nothing. I have an R/T auto (same as you) but also have the STP option which includes this feature. Your car likely wasn't equipped with the STP.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

I'm auto and I do not have track pack. Try the key trick but remove the child seats and leave the labrador at home. Also give any life insurance contact info to your beneficiaries and drink at least half of your beer or pepsi before putting it in the cupholder.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts