Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just picked up a set of MSD coil packs. After talking to a couple shops I got some mixed reviews on their use/effectiveness.

Anyone running these and notice any difference good or bad?

·
Premium Member
67 Posts
I have been involved in engine oil development with Chevron for many years and talked to the engine test lab technicians many times about different ignition issues. Mostly about my '66 Hemi and two Barracudas, one with a 340 and one with a 383. I also read a lot of technical information on ignition. All the reliable information says that as long as the fuel is ignited on time and reliable at high RPM, the ignition system is working fine and no further increase in spark duration or multiple strikes will improve the situation.

Mopar Action's Rick Eherenburger (E-Bugger) discussed this recently and noted that the dual plug ignition used in Modern Hemi's is there for a reason. Reliable combustion across a wide chamber. If multiple sparks would suffice, that would have been easy with current electronics. But that wasn't the answer. Sparks in multiple locations was more effective. Thus the added expense for dual plugs versus multiple strikes or higher voltage.

On my 340, the standard Mopar electronic ignition works fine. an MSD unit did not improve performance. The engine runs well to 6200 RPM at which point I will go no further with stock rods. But I go there all the time at the strip without a misfire.
The 5.7L likes to shift earlier and never misses, so the ignition is functioning properly.
I would not try to fix something that is not broken.

Bob

·
Registered
961 Posts
You are better off with Mopar stuff. MSD components have declined in quality, in my opinion. The only car that I truly had an MSD system improve was my 66 Chevelle SS, 396/325hp. That car really hated winterized fuel. The MSD system solved it's issues.

·
Premium Member
3,339 Posts
I changed over to the MSD ones a while back and although my butt dyno is broadly calibrated the coil packs really didn't make any hairs stand up or drive any Klingons off. One thing I did notice and do like is the fuel savings. When I am not driving like the Furies of hell are on my tail I get roughly 16 around town and 18 hwy. Not bad for a S/C 426 stroker. Many people say they are snake oil or not worth it but I say it's your car and money. Here is a link with a bit of testing on COP on Gen lll hemi motor.
Get 11 HP More From Your Hemi With This Easy Bolt-On! - Hot Rod Network

1 - 5 of 5 Posts