Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2016 SRT Challenger Hellcat
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it worth getting a MSD COIL Pacs to replace stock for a 6.1 SRT8 W/Kenne [email protected] 8lb boost? Will it help with HP and performance? Looking for experience help with this answer. Thank You

·
Registered
9,663 Posts
Save your money and keep the stock ones.

Most of the fastest Challanegers on the track use the OEM coil packs

Reactions: Bad daytona

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
8,846 Posts
I'd save the money for a set of tires....you're gonna need them.

I was actually surprised that the folks that have bought them gave great reviews on Summit...I would not have imagined it would be a noticeable improvement over stock.

·
Registered
21 Posts
All the reviews I read said there really is no difference.. but they are red and look nice...

·
Super Moderator
16,209 Posts
All the reviews I read said there really is no difference.. but they are red and look nice...
For that amount of money - I mask off the stock units carefully and spray them red - maybe even use that caliper paint that is thicker and a high gloss paint.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I put custom covers on mine. Coming back from a Florida car show in May, the contained heat blew up 3 coil packs and my PCM. Let them puppies breathe!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
544 Posts
A while back I read something about one of the manufacturers of higher voltage coil packs tests that they showed a hp increase.
With the higher voltage they were able to increase the plug gap resulting in a small notable HP increase.

·
Super Moderator
16,209 Posts
A while back I read something about one of the manufacturers of higher voltage coil packs tests that they showed a hp increase.
With the higher voltage they were able to increase the plug gap resulting in a small notable HP increase.
I'd wonder if those gains were on a ignition distributor / single plug engine of the 60s-70s variety vs. what we have.

With the dual plug system / coil on plug and a more modern ignition system vs. the older designs, the OEM systems are above and beyond what the older style systems had to offer.

·
Super Moderator
16,209 Posts

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
8,846 Posts
I remember seeing an Engine Masters episode where I think they said the engine dyno accuracy was ~4hp....not sure what the accuracy of a chassis dyno is?

·
Registered
6,533 Posts
I put custom covers on mine. Coming back from a Florida car show in May, the contained heat blew up 3 coil packs and my PCM. Let them puppies breathe!
WOW I was looking at a set of those... Glad I did not order them yet.... I may even remove my engine cover now.... Just the 5.7l looks dumb with that transmission tube thingy and it's ugly fuel rails.

·
Super Moderator
16,209 Posts
WOW I was looking at a set of those... Glad I did not order them yet.... I may even remove my engine cover now.... Just the 5.7l looks dumb with that transmission tube thingy and it's ugly fuel rails.
Your coils will be fine with the engine cover - if you remove it, you'll hear a lot more injector noise. That's what those foam pads on the underside of the 5.7 engine cover - sound absorption.

Reactions: Frank Julian

·
Premium Member
544 Posts
Your coils will be fine with the engine cover - if you remove it, you'll hear a lot more injector noise. That's what those foam pads on the underside of the 5.7 engine cover - sound absorption.
Funny, in the old days, it was cool to hear the clatter of solid lifter cams and look at all the mechanical wizardry of engines parts.

:guiness::guiness::guiness:

·
Super Moderator
16,209 Posts
Funny, in the old days, it was cool to hear the clatter of solid lifter cams and look at all the mechanical wizardry of engines parts.

:guiness::guiness::guiness:
The 5.7 manifold is industrial looking with the casting ribs, the fuel cross-over line and wiring harnesses that are exposed. Half covers help - but that intake manifold isn't going to grab awards in shows for its appearance.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts