Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm meeting at dealership and 1 or 2 Engineers this Tues. concerning the Hemi Tick and my engine. This case is being followed by Mr. Gorlier, Chief Exec. Officer & Pres. of Mopar Service, Parts & Customer Service.

This maybe a good chance to get there attention about this issue, like the TC. What questions do you think I should ask? Points to be made, concerns. I'm looking for input from anyone dealing with this.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
Thats a great opportunity. Good luck and hope u can get ur issue resolved. I luckily don't have this issue right now anyway.

·
Registered
2013 Challenger R/T
89 Posts
*subscribed*

·
Registered
14 Posts
I'm just starting to deal with this issue as well. My tick started at 5,000 miles. Start to hear it at 1,800 rpm all the way past 3,000rpm. It's more apparent on deceleration. I took mine to dealership. They said they modified pins on the rocker arms. Dealer told me it was fixed and no longer made the noise. Picked it up and there was no change. Took it back a second time. The dealership claimed they had looked at it again and could not determine what was causing the tick. I asked them to print me a copy of what they had inspected and they refuse to give me a list of what they did or looked at. Car is still sitting at dealership while I wait to hear from back from Dodge.

·
Premium Member
1,134 Posts
OP-little late I guess to offer questions for your meeting. Will be very interested as to what responses you got during the meeting.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Some how I misunderstood the meeting. There was not an Engineer there. The Service Mgr. did talk to a Chrysler Corp. Engineer and he said there is "No Fix for the Hemi Tick." They still have my car trying to find an oil leak. I am going to continue to push Corp. Customer Care about the issue. I recommend everyone that has the noise do the same. We have to get there attention in order to do something about it. They have to know how big a problem it is. Just like was done with the TC problem.

·
Registered
http://www.dragtimes
1,899 Posts
Some how I misunderstood the meeting. There was not an Engineer there. The Service Mgr. did talk to a Chrysler Corp. Engineer and he said there is "No Fix for the Hemi Tick." They still have my car trying to find an oil leak. I am going to continue to push Corp. Customer Care about the issue. I recommend everyone that has the noise do the same. We have to get there attention in order to do something about it. They have to know how big a problem it is. Just like was done with the TC problem.
Good luck... FI'd hemis have always ticked. The injectors tick and they won't be fixing it as nothing is wrong. They did add sound absorbent material under the covers but all that does is hold heat in the fuel rails.
Hemi tick is normal. Lifter tick isn't so anyone with a tick should at least ensure it is not a lifter. That seems to be the general consensus.

·
Premium Member
4,364 Posts
I have the tick as well. I have also heard that is just a noise and isnt a problem from many folks... these engines are just noisy.

It certainly isn't going to get the attention that the TC recall did... that was a safety issue and a car that isn't drivable. This is simply a noise with no failures attached to it. Recalls from the Nation Highway Safety board are for safety issues only.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Are you guys with the tick using synthetic oil? Have you tried conventional oil and/or 5W30 viscosity? I have personally had valvetrain ticking on new Chrysler vehicles disappear after getting rid of the watery factory oil. Just my $0.02. I realize that the owners manual says not to because it's bad for the MDS system. But I personally would at least try it first. It's cheap.

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
Good luck... FI'd hemis have always ticked. The injectors tick and they won't be fixing it as nothing is wrong. They did add sound absorbent material under the covers but all that does is hold heat in the fuel rails.
Hemi tick is normal. Lifter tick isn't so anyone with a tick should at least ensure it is not a lifter. That seems to be the general consensus.
Isn't it assumed that most of the tick comes from the lifters? I know the injectors make a little noise, but part of the lifter design and the way they work causes a ticking sound.

That said, I am quite pleased with my 392, it hardly makes any type of a tick, quieter than my 6.1, although it does make a little lifter clatter on cold starts for a second or two. I'm trying to decide how much it bothers me... as I know that is kind of normal too for modern Hemis.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I have had the tick since day1. I ignored it after reading all the posts about the Hemi tick. But why do some have it & others not. I have the 5.7, is it more prevalent in one size. I only have 2500 miles. I am going to inquire about the tick at my next oil change. At least have it documented by the dealer, in case something goes wrong with engine at later date.

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
I have had the tick since day1. I ignored it after reading all the posts about the Hemi tick. But why do some have it & others not. I have the 5.7, is it more prevalent in one size. I only have 2500 miles. I am going to inquire about the tick at my next oil change. At least have it documented by the dealer, in case something goes wrong with engine at later date.
Same here, I have a 5.7, and my wife has a '13 Charger R/T, they both tick. I switched both of them to Mobil 1, both still tick. I just ignore it, usually have the stereo on anyways so it's non existent.

·
Registered
4,434 Posts
Well, that's a letdown. I don't see this as nearly as concerning as the TC, but it sure is more prevalent. And you know that if people (dealers, fanboys) weren't interested in engines grenading, the tick will be routinely dismissed as 'character' or blamed on oil or injectors. I doubt that injector noise can be heard at highway speeds bouncing off railings and other cars, but who am I to say?

What I'll say is that I've used Mobil 1 synthetic exclusively since the factory oil was replaced at 500 miles and my Challenger has been noisy from day 1. The good news is that it got quieter around 5K and now at over 21K it's bearable and sometimes disappears (that last fact alone is suspicious, but whatever). With radio on and a loud exhaust I'm sure that many have it and don't even know.

Well, as long as I don't drop a valve and I can do a 0-60 under 5 secs... I resolve to view it as a loooong break-in period. Seriously, it has put a damper on the enjoyment of my car because it's been sounding like something was always gonna break. Maybe I just need louder pipes. :shrug03:

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
I agree this tick is no where near the concern the TC has. It is not a safety issue but to some it can be annoying or irritating. And maybe ruin your driving experience with the car. End result can be bad press and lost customers for Dodge. Read the volume of threads on this issue and people's distain for Dodge. To me if your losing customers you ought to be addressing the problem, safety or not. It's been going on for years. I know I have gotten there attention, but probably briefly.

I've tried oil blend and now Pennzoil platinum synthetic and no change.

·
Registered
http://www.dragtimes
1,899 Posts
Isn't it assumed that most of the tick comes from the lifters? I know the injectors make a little noise, but part of the lifter design and the way they work causes a ticking sound.

That said, I am quite pleased with my 392, it hardly makes any type of a tick, quieter than my 6.1, although it does make a little lifter clatter on cold starts for a second or two. I'm trying to decide how much it bothers me... as I know that is kind of normal too for modern Hemis.
I too get the excessive lifter tick once in a while. Only for a second or two and usually if I haven't driven in a few days to a week. They pump up and are fine in short order so I don't worry about it. Come to think of it, mine hasn't done it since going to the SRT Filters last Fall (Mobil 1 0-40). My neighbor across the street however has a 5.7 RAM that ticks for a good 15 seconds when started cold. That wouldn't do for me. He has a bad lifter in my book.
Always the chance of the Dealer doing more damage than good when changing lifters so I ignore it.
In the old days, car with roller cams and lifters made more power with a loose valve train which was inherently noisier at idle. It allowed for the lifters to pump up a few thousands taller thus giving more lift in the high RPM range.

·
Registered
4,434 Posts
I agree this tick is no where near the concern the TC has. It is not a safety issue but to some it can be annoying or irritating. And maybe ruin your driving experience with the car. End result can be bad press and lost customers for Dodge. Read the volume of threads on this issue and people's distain for Dodge. To me if your losing customers you ought to be addressing the problem, safety or not. It's been going on for years. I know I have gotten there attention, but probably briefly.
Don't get me wrong; I'm with you. Just a little worn-out by how long the TC saga dragged out. And I've read posts alleging inconsistent parts lengths causing longevity problems and worse. That's why I was hoping to see this being looked into more seriously than the canned advice to use synthetic oil, get a louder exhaust or "drive it like you stole it". :shrug03: But, as usual, it's up to the consumer to fight uphill battles against feet-dragging manufacturers, for-show-only government agencies (just look at how useful the NHTSA was on the TC issue) and always-quick-to-ridicule brand loyalists.

People who complained loud enough about the tick to get their lifters replaced reported a crapshoot of results... and that probably comes from the lack of consistency in manufacturing and the lack of QC that cause the tick in the first place. From the get-go, my attitude has been that tolerances vary and that the tapping should subside as things wear down, but I don't think it's ideal at all.

Now bracing myself for the comment that 'millions' of Hemis have ticked without issues for 'millions' of miles. 4...3...2... :yesnod:

·
Premium Member
6,492 Posts
Has anyone tried using an engine stethoscope to try and locate the area where the tick is coming from? I don't have the tick and run Mobil 1 5w20.

Would be useful to know if it's coming from the block or injector rail. So far I haven't heard of any failures of engines with the tick so it sounds like it's just an annoyance, apparently some Rams have gone hundreds of thousands of miles with the tick and no issues.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts