Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought some OEM mudflaps from the local Dodge dealer and installed them today. What a PITA !! It was certainly an adventure. Why in the world after all these years of the Challenger, Dodge can't get the holes lined up properly is beyond me. For those of you contemplating the install be aware of a few things: to do it right you have to remove all four wheels. The rear flap holes do not line up at all. The install took a lot longer than I would have expected. I didn't have a plastic rivet installer so plan on having to buy one of those as well. I'm sure a lot of you guys will say it was easy, but for those of us that do not have a lift or the necessary tools it sucked. The install is done and they look great, but Dodge needs to figure out how to get the holes lined up and make this install easier.

·
Premium Member
5,645 Posts
I have a set waiting in my garage...

I will not install them. I'll have the SRT mechs install them on my next oil change....

·
Registered
‘13 Challenger SRT 6M
2,816 Posts
Sorry, it was easy. Cordless drill, drill bit, cheesy plastic rivet gun & rivets, (harbor freight), and your done. Rears were a tad tight. You could pull the rears off to make it easier, the fronts just turn the wheel out of the way. Honestly, I wouldn't let the dealer put these on. They need to be pushed and held with a little pressure as you rivet so you get no gap between the outer flap and body. The dealer is not going to do that. You know they are just slapping them on.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
2,462 Posts
I bought some OEM mudflaps from the local Dodge dealer and installed them today. What a PITA !! It was certainly an adventure. Why in the world after all these years of the Challenger, Dodge can't get the holes lined up properly is beyond me. For those of you contemplating the install be aware of a few things: to do it right you have to remove all four wheels. The rear flap holes do not line up at all. The install took a lot longer than I would have expected. I didn't have a plastic rivet installer so plan on having to buy one of those as well. I'm sure a lot of you guys will say it was easy, but for those of us that do not have a lift or the necessary tools it sucked. The install is done and they look great, but Dodge needs to figure out how to get the holes lined up and make this install easier.
You must consider the source (I am warped) but MAYBE subconsciously (like it has one) Dodge doesn't like mudflaps on a muscle car and to make money and maybe accomplish this also the know/and keep them out of alignment and hard to install as I would BET if they were on Ralphies car they would be perfect, LOL! ;)

·
Premium Member
3,096 Posts
Everybody has to learn but these were about as easy an install as anything automotive I have done. The plastic rivet tool was like $4 at Harbor Freight with extra rivets. Don't try to do automotive (or any) maintenance work without the right tools.

Reactions: c26bt34c and teddyp

·
Premium Member
181 Posts
Exactly! I had absolutely no problem installing them. Done in about 45 minutes. All the holes were lined up so no issue other than the small wheel well liner cut out in the back. No tires removed. It was a piece of cake. With the tires sticking so far out of the wells I had no choice but to put them on as I didn't want crap all up the side of my R/T. Lots of compliments after the install. Factory is definitely the way to go here. One of the folks at work has some after market flaps on his R/T and they look like trailer trash. Really!!

·
Registered
605 Posts
I added them a couple years ago and remember that Chrysler didn't make it easy on me, however having the right tools definitely helped (plastic rivet gun). I'd like to add that the body tape that they put on the guards is for s*** (my rears separated last week) and I replaced with 3m body tape.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Exactly! I had absolutely no problem installing them. Done in about 45 minutes. All the holes were lined up so no issue other than the small wheel well liner cut out in the back. No tires removed. It was a piece of cake. With the tires sticking so far out of the wells I had no choice but to put them on as I didn't want crap all up the side of my R/T. Lots of compliments after the install. Factory is definitely the way to go here. One of the folks at work has some after market flaps on his R/T and they look like trailer trash. Really!!
I bought the MOPAR OEM flaps that were manufactured less than a month ago. My experience was that the holes did not line up (they weren't even close) and there was no way to make new holes or attach rivets without removing each wheel. I have a 2013 RT so not sure if that makes a difference. The process of drilling new holes was not difficult, but having to remove each tire to gain access with the drill and rivet gun was a real pain.

·
Registered
682 Posts
How are you guys installing rivets without removing the rear wheels? I bought the RPI ones but before installing them tonight I tried to place my rivet gun behind the rear wheel and I didnt have enough room, what type/brand rivet gun is everyone using to install rivets without removing the rear wheels?

·
Registered
‘13 Challenger SRT 6M
2,816 Posts
How are you guys installing rivets without removing the rear wheels? I bought the RPI ones but before installing them tonight I tried to place my rivet gun behind the rear wheel and I didnt have enough room, what type/brand rivet gun is everyone using to install rivets without removing the rear wheels?

Honestly I installed these over a year ago so I'm not sure if I removed the rear wheel or not. There is flex on that lower quarter. Buy the cheap shitty black rivet gun and black plastic rivets from Harbor Freight. Drill out the quarters using the flaps as a guide, then rivet.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

1 - 10 of 10 Posts