Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. I just bought a 2017 challenger SXT, AT and I want to get a better sound! This is literally my first time buying a car so I don't know anything about this.

I've read that deleting mufflers make it sound louder but I've also read that changing mufflers would make it sound better. I want a deeper and low sound, no drone and not raspy.

I'm thinking of getting the pro series flowmaster which is considered as moderate sound level because I don't want to be too loud. Or maybe the super 40. Swapping mufflers will cost much while deleting the stock mufflers would be cheaper. How do I decide?

Oh and you can also delete resonators which makes it drone? Should I maybe get a flowmaster and leave the resonators installed?

·
Premium Member
2,659 Posts
Don't get the Flowmaster 40's all the reviews I've read say they have more drone.

I just had 2 Flowmaster Super 44's installed and no drone and not raspy, just cuttoff the mid pipe mufflers will give you some raspy sound sometimes.
Nice rumble at idle and sounds great when you get on it with the 44's

I had the rear bumper resonators cut off also and the 44's installed where the mid pipe stock mufflers were.

Local muffler shop charged me a total of only $160.00 for the whole job.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Don't get the Flowmaster 40's all the reviews I've read say they have more drone.

I just had 2 Flowmaster Super 44's installed and no drone and not raspy, just cuttoff the mid pipe mufflers will give you some raspy sound sometimes.
Nice rumble at idle and sounds great when you get on it with the 44's

I had the rear bumper resonators cut off also and the 44's installed where the mid pipe stock mufflers were.

Local muffler shop charged me a total of only $160.00 for the whole job.
Hey there. The 44s are aggressive tho as mentioned on their website. Is it really loud? Why do you remove resonators? To make it louder? Btw where did u get it done? I'm at socal as well

·
Premium Member
2,659 Posts
Hey there. The 44s are aggressive tho as mentioned on their website. Is it really loud? Why do you remove resonators? To make it louder? Btw where did u get it done? I'm at socal as well
The 44's arn't that loud imop, I actually thought they'd be louder because of what they say on their website.

If you don't remove the resonators it's like having 4 mufflers on your exhaust and too quiet.

Where in SoCal are you? I'm going to be at a Fathers Day car show this coming Saturday at DOS LAGOS shopping center off the 15 freeway in Corona if you wanted to stop by and hear it.

I got them installed at Canyon Lake Muffler in Quail Valley, I live in Menifee near Temecula/Murrieta.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The 44's arn't that loud imop, I actually thought they'd be louder because of what they say on their website.

If you don't remove the resonators it's like having 4 mufflers on your exhaust and too quiet.

Where in SoCal are you? I'm going to be at a Fathers Day car show this coming Saturday at DOS LAGOS shopping center off the 15 freeway in Corona if you wanted to stop by and hear it.

I got them installed at Canyon Lake Muffler in Quail Valley, I live in Menifee near Temecula/Murrieta.
Ohh cool Coronas like 30 mins away from me. Maybe I can try getting the muffler without removing the resonator first and then remove it if I want to? Do you think it would cost more to do that?

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
16,923 Posts
I think hearing it is a great idea if you can do it. Unsure if you'd be able to get a ride (hint, hint), as one mans drone is another mans preferred exhaust sound. I had never heard of anything drone free except the Solo and I believe Corsa. I don't believe you'll get much sound increase with the resonators on.

A Guy

·
Premium Member
2,659 Posts
Ohh cool Coronas like 30 mins away from me. Maybe I can try getting the muffler without removing the resonator first and then remove it if I want to? Do you think it would cost more to do that?
If you leave the resonators on at the rear it won't be much louder than stock trust me you'll be disappointed.
Mine is not real loud, just a nice rumble at idle and some nice sound when getting on it.
You can barely hear the exhaust at all when cruising and no drone.

The car show is from 12 to 3pm this Saturday the 17th if you want to stop by
Call me if you come in case i'm not right by the car (951) 218-0501 Jerry

Can't give you a ride because I'll be in the car show but I can start it up for you.
Unless you come by just before 3pm and I can give you a ride when I'm leaving.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Just for an alternative, I have a 2009 6.1 SRT8 with resonator delete, and its fairly quite on idle, loud when you hit the throttle, and a little boomy when cruising, will look to change the set up at some point.

·
Premium Member
2,659 Posts
Just for an alternative, I have a 2009 6.1 SRT8 with resonator delete, and its fairly quite on idle, loud when you hit the throttle, and a little boomy when cruising, will look to change the set up at some point.
Yeah, he's got a 6 though, totally different animal, just taking off the resonators on the 6 gives you a lot of drone.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
heyy guys sry i've been busy with finals this week

Now I'm thinking of getting an entire catback system.. Since getting a muffler would mean cutting the stock pipes, I feel like it would harm the resale value of my car. Would that be true? Is it better to get a muffler swap or an entire exhaust system?

I might be reselling my car in a few years because I'm an international student and if I don't find a job after graduating I have no choice but to go back :(

·
Premium Member
2,659 Posts
heyy guys sry i've been busy with finals this week

Now I'm thinking of getting an entire catback system.. Since getting a muffler would mean cutting the stock pipes, I feel like it would harm the resale value of my car. Would that be true? Is it better to get a muffler swap or an entire exhaust system?

I might be reselling my car in a few years because I'm an international student and if I don't find a job after graduating I have no choice but to go back :(
Has nothing to do with the resale of your car.
I would save the stock mufflers though in case the person you sell it to likes the exhaust quiet.

Why do you want to spend a thousand bucks for a whole new system if you can get good sound by just swapping mufflers??? I especially wouldn't spend all that money if I were going to sell it in a couple few years, but it's your money to spend so best of luck to you!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Has nothing to do with the resale of your car.
I would save the stock mufflers though in case the person you sell it to likes the exhaust quiet.

Why do you want to spend a thousand bucks for a whole new system if you can get good sound by just swapping mufflers??? I especially wouldn't spend all that money if I were going to sell it in a couple few years, but it's your money to spend so best of luck to you!
yeah probably goin to get just the muffler, dont really want to spend 1000. I just feel like cutting the pipes would ruin resale price, and I cant really find much info on this. Thanks anyways!

·
Premium Member
2,659 Posts
yeah probably goin to get just the muffler, dont really want to spend 1000. I just feel like cutting the pipes would ruin resale price, and I cant really find much info on this. Thanks anyways!
Cutting the pipes isn't a big deal CHANGING the SIZE of the pipes might make a difference to some but they won't see it anyway.
Keep in mind many people that buy these cars swap the mufflers for performance mufflers anyway.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Cutting the pipes isn't a big deal CHANGING the SIZE of the pipes might make a difference to some but they won't see it anyway.
Keep in mind many people that buy these cars swap the mufflers for performance mufflers anyway.
Okay so how do I not change the size of the pipes? Do I have to get the right size muffler?

Did you order the muffler online or? I'm gonna get 2 super 44s. I'm pretty excited about this :D

·
Premium Member
2,659 Posts
Okay so how do I not change the size of the pipes? Do I have to get the right size muffler?

Did you order the muffler online or? I'm gonna get 2 super 44s. I'm pretty excited about this :D
The stock pipe size is 2.25" so order 2 Super 44's with that size in and out, if you have to you can order 2, 2.50" in and out the shop can use a reducer to match it to the pipe.
You can order the mufflers straight through connection or staggered, you'll see what I mean when you look at them online, there's pages of them for sale.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts