Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a V6 challenger with a Borla ATAK Cat-back exhaust. I want my car louder than the atak is allowing. I love the sound and it gets loud when I floor it but I personally would like that loudness to be more frequent when driving. Not just when I floor it. Can I muffler delete the cat back? Would it lose its signature cat back sound if I do so

·
Premium Member
778 Posts
Can I muffler delete the cat back? Would it lose its signature cat back sound if I do so
I'm not sure I understand your question. Of course if you change the exhaust system (mufflers, resonator pipes...etc) you will change the sound.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm not sure I understand your question. Of course if you change the exhaust system (mufflers, resonator pipes...etc) you will change the sound.
I’m trying to say if I muffler delete my cat back will it get significantly louder? Some people are telling me the cat back atak is as loud as I can get a V6 and muffler deleting it will just make it sound worse

·
Registered
2011 SXT Built in the Canada Plant
2,316 Posts
It will D R O N E unlike the V8's the Pentastar 3.6 sound is restricted right at the head of the Engine since the Exhaust Header and it is one piece so the amount of Exhaust is more limited The Design Drone's easy if your not careful and little you can do with it.

·
Registered
2019 SXT Blacktop in Triple Nickel
455 Posts
I don't think chopping up a very well made and expensive system is a good idea. If you want louder maybe removing the Borla ATAK and going straight pipe or something else might be the way to get louder but I don't think it will sound better.

·
Registered
2015 Challenger R/T Plus 8 Speed
8,497 Posts
If you are trying to make it sound like a V8, it is not going to happen, I say this because when I took my car to have the resonators deleted and mufflers swapped out, the owner said to me, "All you V6 guys want your car to sound like a V8, I modify your exhaust and you complain about my work. Nothing will make it sound like a V8". My 2015 had a very quiet stock exhaust. I replied to him, "Well it does have a Hemi in it so if you can't make it sound like a V8, send me to a good shop.". He apologized, I apologized, he did the requested work and it sounded awesome.

·
Premium Member
2021 JEEP Wrangler Unlimited Willys 4X4
2,183 Posts
Hood stack.....FTW :unsure:

Reactions: vpzyck

·
Registered
2020 Octane Red SXT
75 Posts
You're clearly unhappy with your Borla ATAK. Please send it to me and just run a straight pipe. 👍

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
26,715 Posts
I imagine it may get somewhat louder, but will definitely change the sound. It will likely get raspier. Not sure it will drone as the ATAK does have resonators. That's quite an expensive system to cut up. I'll wager it won't turn out well, but if the ATAK isn't loud enough for you, your opinion on sound may differ from mine

A Guy

·
Registered
2020 Octane Red SXT
75 Posts
Have you considered running cut-out pipes? The factory ones are expensive but I've seen kits that are reasonable.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts