Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Anyone do a muffler delete on the V6? I've watched some videos on it and it's sounds a little better on cold startup but not too much different after that.

Wonder if a muffler delete with the Airaid intake for example would make it sound better? Wouldn't delete the res as I don't want any kind of drone.

I did see some good catback systems so exploring other options as well.

·
Premium Member
4,475 Posts
I've seen threads where someone tried that and ultimately wasn't happy with the end result. I can't remember if it was here or the Charger forum, but I've definitely seen such threads.

Best exhaust change I've heard on the v6 (yes it was mine, both times), was replacing the exhaust from the muffler back (including resos) with a di/do JFB muffler.

·
Registered
981 Posts
/\ /\ /\ - What Nuke said.

I had a 2012 3.6 and replaced the mid mufflers with the dual in / dual out Jones Full Boar (#4554 I think), and straight pipe the rest. You have to bring it to a muffler shop that is familiar with custom fabricating. It sounded great.

I now have a 2016 3.6 and replaced the whole system with the Flowmaster American Thunder catback system (includes mufflers and tuned resos). It sounds great.

The JFB DI/DO muffler cost under $50 (in 2012), and the custom fab with mandral bent pipes ended up costing me about $400; the FM catback cost about $800, and install was $95. - because any shop can do it.

·
Registered
78 Posts

I had a 2012 3.6 and replaced the mid mufflers with the dual in / dual out Jones Full Boar (#4554 I think), and straight pipe the rest. You have to bring it to a muffler shop that is familiar with custom fabricating. It sounded great.

I now have a 2016 3.6 and replaced the whole system with the Flowmaster American Thunder catback system (includes mufflers and tuned resos). It sounds great.

The JFB DI/DO muffler cost under $50 (in 2012), and the custom fab with mandral bent pipes ended up costing me about $400; the FM catback cost about $800, and install was $95. - because any shop can do it.
I argee i replacwd my mid muffler with a flowmaster series 40 dual in dual out mid muffler and a resonator delete. With a cai thats about as close as u can get this car to a v8 sound

·
Registered
981 Posts

My error - I had forgotten that with my JFB setup, it was NOT straight-piped out; the installer fabricated j-pipes. Evidently, Solo was not the first to come up with j-pipes to cancel out the drone, but Solo was the first to mass produce systems with j-pipes. Again, if you want to go the Jones Full Boar, you need a good exhaust installer familiar with fabricating j-pipes. Other than that, I’d suggest the FLowmaster or Solo cutbacks.

·
Premium Member
4,475 Posts
I would be remiss if i didnt point out that upgrading the exhaust only gets you half the way to a bad-arse sounding 3.6L. The other half involves replacing the stock air intake tube (and its WOT muffler) with an aftermarket CAI that comes with its own air intake tube (that is sans the WOT sound suppresser).

Some folks will say this not necessary, and some will say it is. I'll leave you with this sound byte to let you decide for yourself:

:D 😎 (y) 😀😍🤘😎:p

1 - 6 of 6 Posts