Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have searched (perhaps not hard enough) and I can't find any information on the dimensions of the stock mufflers on my 2012 R/T Classic automatic. I want to purchase some more aggressive mufflers, but I'm not sure how long they should be. I know that they should be 2.5" inlet/outlet, with a center inlet and offset outlet, but I need to know the length of the muffler body. Anyone know?

·
Registered
88 Posts
I just replaced my stock mid body mufflers with Dynomax Ultraflow Welded mufflers. I left the stock resonators in place.

Stock exhaust pipe size on my 2011 R/T with auto.. 2.5 inches down to the X pipe, and then the X pipe to the tips is 2.25 inches.

I believe the two stock mid body mufflers are about 17"x 9"x 4.5" case size...

I wanted just a bit more sound, and no drone and not too loud. This is exactly what I got with this mod. I read too many posts that said deleting the rear resonators caused too much drone, and quite a bit more volume.

I definitely hear the difference with the Ultraflows (pt 17222), a bit more volume and lower tone. I'm sure for some, it will still be too quiet, but for me it worked perfectly.

The Dynomaxs are 14"x9" case size, so a bit shorter. The muffler shop just added some pipe and they fit fairly easily. Hop this helps.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Replacing the mufflers won't do much to be honest... I recommend replacing the resonators. I replaced those massive resonators with a pair of smaller Magnaflow mufflers, and have very very little drone present, but it sounds ten times better than it did...

Magnaflow #11226... I'm sure you could use any number of mufflers to do the replacement, but that's the model I choose.

·
Registered
90 Posts
If either of the 2 posts above could post some vids; I would like to hear both setups; and im sure others would too.:eek:ogle:

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Replacing the mufflers won't do much to be honest... I recommend replacing the resonators. I replaced those massive resonators with a pair of smaller Magnaflow mufflers, and have very very little drone present, but it sounds ten times better than it did...

Magnaflow #11226... I'm sure you could use any number of mufflers to do the replacement, but that's the model I choose.
C13RT is correct. The stock mufflers and pipes are not that bad. We did almost the same thing, except I purchased the Maglaflow axle back kit. Check out the difference in the photo between the stock resonators I cut out, next to the magnaflow kit. :SM127:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
C13RT is correct. The stock mufflers and pipes are not that bad. We did almost the same thing, except I purchased the Maglaflow axle back kit. Check out the difference in the photo between the stock resonators I cut out, next to the magnaflow kit. :SM127:
were yours factory 2.25" or 2.5"... ? I've read where many Autos came with 2.5 instead of 2.25 like they are supposed to. can tell by looking what I have under there. do you have a video of what these sound like? sorry, I might have missed if you do.

thanks.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
were yours factory 2.25" or 2.5"... ? I've read where many Autos came with 2.5 instead of 2.25 like they are supposed to. can tell by looking what I have under there. do you have a video of what these sound like? sorry, I might have missed if you do.

thanks.
The exhaust is 2.5" Sorry, no I do not have a video. I can tell you that it I is not real loud, but the car has a deep rumble to it now.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts