Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had a quick question, I own a 2021 AWD SXT v6 Challenger. I want a little more tone but definitely no DRONE. From what I gather the best way is to change out the mufflers and leave the rear resonators in their place. True or False and if so which mufflers should I go with. Thanks for any good INFO..

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
25,759 Posts
Welcome to Challengertalk ;) I am of the opinion that engineered Cat Back exhaust is the way to go, but that said, if you change the mid mufflers, and have a good exhaust shop who can cobble you some J-Pipes, you can lose the resonators too. Solo may sell the J-Pipe assemblies separately

A Guy

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome to Challengertalk ;) I am of the opinion that engineered Cat Back exhaust is the way to go, but that said, if you change the mid mufflers, and have a good exhaust shop who can cobble you some J-Pipes, you can lose the resonators too. Solo may sell the J-Pipe assemblies separately

A Guy
Thanks for the Info, doing a lot of research. I guess also if I replace the 2 mufflers with some performance mufflers I should also get a nice tone and no DRONE, I don't really want to spend crazy $$ on a full exhaust at this time.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I had the mid mufflers removed and had no drone, just a slightly louder overall tone.
I also had them add a second x pipe where the mufflers used to be, so that may or may not have helped

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
25,759 Posts
Yeah, the resonators are what control the drone generally

A Guy

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
25,759 Posts
Have never heard either of those on a V6^^^, it's a different sounding animal o_O

A Guy

·
Registered
51 Posts
I swapped my mid mufflers with Magnaflow suitcase style mufflers and went back the next to and had the resonators removed. It sounded better without the rear resonators to me. My shop welded in bigger pipe while doing the swap out because I bought the mufflers from them. I have run flowmasters a couple of times and always wind up swapping them out, I eat up to much gas puttin my foot in it between lights to hear them. Magnaflow give me great in cab sound but I can still use voice to text but no drone at any specific rpm.

Magnaflow for the win is my vote

·
Registered
2020, 392 Scat Pack Octaine Red
42 Posts
I got the Solo Cyclone for my SXT and I loved it. If you remove the back resonators you will absolutely get drone. The J pipe takes care of it though. Solo will sell the Jpipes by themselves, but not cheap. The cyclone system cost around $800. I used the stimulus check to buy mine. Called it my Biden exhaust. Lol. Sorry I don't have a good video of it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Not sure about the V6 but on my 5.7 I just cut out the mufflers and left the resonators and it sounds great. Cost $100.

·
Registered
2020, 392 Scat Pack Octaine Red
42 Posts
Yeah I did straight pipes leaving the resonators on the v6, and it didn't sound much different. For me, the solo cyclone was the best modification on the v6. A person needs to remember that their v6 will never rumble or sound like a v8.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts