Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I've been lurking around since we adopted a new 2013, plum crazy RT earlier this year. I've recently run into an issue and need advice.
This morning, I was under the car changing oil when I glanced back under the length of the car. What I saw surprised me. I expected to see a "suitcase muffler" sitting in the middle of the exhaust system. Instead I saw two completely separate mufflers.
My problem occurs at this point. My wife's one complaint about her car is that it is too quiet. She wants it louder. I've been running Spintechs under my GTO for years and love the sound. Since all she wants is louder, I felt this was a cost effective way to go. Yes, we listened to all the Youtube clips out there. This is the one she chose.
After reading up on the subject and contacting Spintech for advice, we settled on their Super Pro 6000. With the understanding that I would be replacing the suitcase muffler with the two Spintechs, I ordered a pair of 2 1/4, center/offset mufflers. I'm concerned now that I should have ordered offset/offset.
When they arrive, should I send them right back or try to have a muffler shop "make them work"? They are a very small muffler if you never seen one.
Yeah, I should have looked before ordering; don't believe everything you read, etc... .

Thanks,
JMM

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
yea, the 13's have the dual mufflers.. I've seen a couple of 12's with two, don't know for sure when they got away
from the "suitcase" dual in/out muffler. I think I'd get the mufflers that are supposed to fit, otherwise see what a shop can do to alter the mufflers to fit, maybe it wouldn't take much..

·
Super Moderator
09 RT Challenger auto
3,467 Posts
Hello,
I've been lurking around since we adopted a new 2013, plum crazy RT earlier this year. I've recently run into an issue and need advice.
This morning, I was under the car changing oil when I glanced back under the length of the car. What I saw surprised me. I expected to see a "suitcase muffler" sitting in the middle of the exhaust system. Instead I saw two completely separate mufflers.
My problem occurs at this point. My wife's one complaint about her car is that it is too quiet. She wants it louder. I've been running Spintechs under my GTO for years and love the sound. Since all she wants is louder, I felt this was a cost effective way to go. Yes, we listened to all the Youtube clips out there. This is the one she chose.
After reading up on the subject and contacting Spintech for advice, we settled on their Super Pro 6000. With the understanding that I would be replacing the suitcase muffler with the two Spintechs, I ordered a pair of 2 1/4, center/offset mufflers. I'm concerned now that I should have ordered offset/offset.
When they arrive, should I send them right back or try to have a muffler shop "make them work"? They are a very small muffler if you never seen one.
Yeah, I should have looked before ordering; don't believe everything you read, etc... .

Thanks,
JMM
Might not be a big deal, Id check with the shop first anyway. I must say this, I also removed the suitcase and did the super 44s. It was still quite. Barley over stock. I was sick. I then dumped the rear resinators. Aahhhh
There we go,,, that got it opened up and the super 44 flowmasters came to life !!!!!
Shop did pipe in place of resinators. I was all set.
FlatTop

·
Registered
535 Posts
I'm pretty happy with my JBA cat-back system

·
Registered
880 Posts
I swapped the mufflers out first with aero turbines (performance muffler), didn't to anything I say. So I went to another shop, and they ran a mandrel bend 3inch pipe from the muffler back no reso.

Seeing those fat ass pipes from the back looks sexy. Only need some fatter tires now.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
yea, the 13's have the dual mufflers.. I've seen a couple of 12's with two, don't know for sure when they got away
from the "suitcase" dual in/out muffler.
2011 was the first year without the baggage!!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
We discussed simply dumping the muffler for straight pipe. I liked the sound, but wife didn't. (Her car) Even with the stock system, the MDS sounds like a muffled tractor. I wanted to start with the smallest increase and move louder if needed. Removing the resonators or replacing with glass packs is an option.

I think, since they're already shipped to me, I'll get the car in the air and see how bad the fit actually is. Then, I'll decide if I want to return them or not.

On the hunt now for a second-hand tuner to remove MDS. Can't justify the price to her for a new unit.

Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
406 Posts
from the "suitcase" dual in/out muffler. I think I'd get the mufflers that are supposed to fit, otherwise see what a shop can do to alter the mufflers to fit, maybe it wouldn't take much..
Not quite. The question is if the OP is standard or auto, which I didn't see specified. My 13 auto most definitely had the suitcase as stock. The dual setup should be for the 6 speed.
Cheers, Lee S.

·
Premium Member
6,492 Posts
Not quite. The question is if the OP is standard or auto, which I didn't see specified. My 13 auto most definitely had the suitcase as stock. The dual setup should be for the 6 speed.
Cheers, Lee S.
Last I checked, the '13s had dual "turbo-style" chambered mufflers, not a single "suitcase" muffler. The 6-speeds have straight-through bottle-style mufflers.

Suitcase:

Turbo-style (would be 2 of these):

Bottle-style (Again would be 2 of them):

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Cheers, Lee S.

sorry, I assumed his was Automatic because the OP said he ordered 2 1/4" ...which would be for the Auto,
and the 6 speed manuals have 2 1/2" pipes and dual "bottle" mufflers.

my 2013 Auto R/T Classic has 2 rectangular mufflers and no suitcase single as you have. matter of fact, like I said at least 2 owners of 2012's Auto R/T's and several 2013 R/T Auto owners I have seen all had the dual mufflers and NO suitcase. you have something fairly rare there from the ones I've seen, I wonder why you got the old set up..? wonder how many others are different from the OP's and mine?

·
Registered
406 Posts
sorry, I assumed his was Automatic because the OP said he ordered 2 1/4" ...which would be for the Auto,
and the 6 speed manuals have 2 1/2" pipes and dual "bottle" mufflers.

my 2013 Auto R/T Classic has 2 rectangular mufflers and no suitcase single as you have. matter of fact, like I said at least 2 owners of 2012's Auto R/T's and several 2013 R/T Auto owners I have seen all had the dual mufflers and NO suitcase. you have something fairly rare there from the ones I've seen, I wonder why you got the old set up..? wonder how many others are different from the OP's and mine?
Interesting. Kind of a moot point for me now since it's wearing a Solo, but very interesting. Maybe it's a STP thing.
Cheers, Lee S.

·
Premium Member
1,134 Posts
We discussed simply dumping the muffler for straight pipe. I liked the sound, but wife didn't. (Her car) Even with the stock system, the MDS sounds like a muffled tractor. I wanted to start with the smallest increase and move louder if needed. Removing the resonators or replacing with glass packs is an option.

I think, since they're already shipped to me, I'll get the car in the air and see how bad the fit actually is. Then, I'll decide if I want to return them or not.

On the hunt now for a second-hand tuner to remove MDS. Can't justify the price to her for a new unit.

Thanks for the input.
Figured I would add my .02 here. Car is a 2011 R/T with auto & MDS. It came with the separate mufflers up front. My first exhaust setup consisted of Flowmaster 40's in place of the rear resonators. The result was a louder, more desirable sound at startup and general driving. The MDS was not over bearing, but was more noticeable. The down side was above 3,000 rpm the overall volume stayed the same instead of getting louder (front mufflers a little too quiet).

For your situation this down side may be fine. Before you (or the shop) cuts things up, I would suggest seeing if the new mufflers will fit (length wise) at the rear location.

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Interesting. Kind of a moot point for me now since it's wearing a Solo, but very interesting. Maybe it's a STP thing.
Cheers, Lee S.

you know, STP may have something to do with it.. that I have never asked or noticed. maybe non-STP
cars come with a suitcase.. interesting.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
My 13 auto most definitely had the suitcase as stock.
Are you sure about that!!!! I've seen a bunch of 11 and newer R/T automatics and they ALL had dual oval mufflers. Maybe Dodge found an old one laying around and used it on your car!!!

·
Registered
165 Posts
My 2012 HAD the two mufflers (replaced with Flowmaster 40's) and two suitcase looking resonators at the rear, those are gone now.

BTW, mine is a Six speed Stick.

·
Premium Member
6,492 Posts
My 2012 HAD the two mufflers (replaced with Flowmaster 40's) and two suitcase looking resonators at the rear, those are gone now.

BTW, mine is a Six speed Stick.
Just to avoid confusion, the "suitcase muffler" term refers to a very specific thing. The resonators may resemble some sort of suitcase, but that's not what people are referring to when they talk about the suitcase muffler. See the pic above in my previous post, that is the the only suitcase part of the exhaust.

The resonators are the big boxes that the tips are mounted to (Just making sure we cover all the different parts/terminology). I think we've now covered everything behind the cats. :D

·
Registered
406 Posts
Are you sure about that!!!! I've seen a bunch of 11 and newer R/T automatics and they ALL had dual oval mufflers. Maybe Dodge found an old one laying around and used it on your car!!!
Yep! I'd take a pic for you but there is no way I'm dragging that thing out of the attic to do it after what it took to get the bloody thing up there in the first place..LOL! One huge piece from the front all the way back to and including the right tip. What a beast!
Cheers, Lee S.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Just to avoid confusion, the "suitcase muffler" term refers to a very specific thing. The resonators may resemble some sort of suitcase, but that's not what people are referring to when they talk about the suitcase muffler. See the pic above in my previous post, that is the the only suitcase part of the exhaust.

The resonators are the big boxes that the tips are mounted to (Just making sure we cover all the different parts/terminology). I think we've now covered everything behind the cats. :D
I understand what people are referring to when they say suitcase mufflers, but my resonators were square and to me resembled suitcases and were referred to that way by the muffler tech.. In fact, on this forum I have seen posts that swear that the suitcase resembling pieces in the exhausts mounted just before the tips were the mufflers and the ones mounted toward the front resembling mufflers were really the resonators. Go figure, doesn't really matter to me because they all hit the floor of the muffler shop and the Flowmaster Series 40's are now in place where mufflers belong.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts