Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
898 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I read somewhere that OEM mufflers have weep holes (Chrysler PT Cruiser - I think). I read somewhere that the difference between mufflers with lifetime warranty and without it, is that they drill weep holes, in the same muffler. Today I saw a Dodge Caliber with a rust spot on the bottom of the muffler, where the water sits.

Some OEM mufflers don't have weep holes. It's future business for the muffler shops.

If one is worry about exhaust leaking into the interior, think about this. It's not in the middle. It's back there. The holes are actually a few inches away from the bigger hole call exhaust tip.

Should I drill weep holes in my OEM Challenger mufflers? What do you say? Does it add life to the mufflers? I don't care about sound, no plans for aftermarket (performance) mufflers. OEM is just fine with me.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
No, you need do nothing to your muffs....imo. You're way over thinking it mate. Enjoy your car.

·
Premium Member
9,678 Posts
My Magnaflow system weeps at the connections, I removed my stock system at three hundred miles so I don’t recall if it did it as well. As long as you don’t do short hops where water pools inside the pipes and lays there you are good for a really long time. Are you aware there can be condensation in your engine oil as well unless you run the car to operating temperature for about 15-20 minutes?
Just enjoy the car, don’t let all of these things wear you down thinking about them.

·
Super Moderator
16,216 Posts
I've heard of some owners with older style mufflers drilling a small 1/8" weep hole in the low point of the muffler housings to allow condensation to drip out.

In the end, its best to drive long trips fully warmed up to drive the moisture out. Short trips will result in condensation water sitting in the muffler / resonator.

The units today are stainless and tend to not rust out like the old steel ones used to.

·
Registered
6,342 Posts
*shrugs* my mufflers make everyone standing around the car weep when I start it. :D

·
Premium Member
2,658 Posts
My mufflers are happy, they never cry.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts