Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought a 2017 sxt v6. I need to hear some rumble, so I figured the flowmaster 44. Yes, I know it won't sound like a v8. I'm leaving the resonators because I don't want drone. The problem is that the 44's are too wide and won't fit. There's not enough room. I only want to spend enough for the mufflers, and labor to put it on. Does anyone have a suggestion of which muffler will fit, and give me the flowmaster 44 tone, or at least close to it?

·
Registered
48 Posts
You need offset inlet/outlet to fit at the mid muffler position. Assuming the SXT's use 2.5" pipes, this would be the version you need:

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Here is a photo from the web, and there's very little room. The mechanic I used yesterday, after he cut 1 of the mufflers off, showed me that there was no way for him to put the 44's on. That silver colored shield and the original design doesn't leave much room. I just have straight pipes now, but it basically sounds the same as the stock exhaust. He suggested a cherry bomb, but I'm afraid that might just be an annoying higher pitched tone that sounds like shit on a v6. I really want something meaty like the 44's sound.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
17,781 Posts
Welcome to Challengertalk ;) BTW, that picture above is my car :)

Funny, they sell a cat back exhaust with 2 Super 44's

Muffler Part# 842546-Z

Would require custom tubing to make them fit, they won't just work if you cut out the mufflers from the stock system

Might consider a dual in/dual out 44

It too will require custom tubing. Barring a similar sized round or oval muffler, you'll not be able to just cut and replace the mufflers. A good custom shop should have no issue

Have you listened to any videos of Supper 44s on a Challenger V6? Rumble is never the word I'd use for exhaust on our cars

A Guy

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've listened/watched so many videos my head is spinning. I thought it would be a simple change. Glass packs are to high pitched, to raspy. I just want something meaty sounding with no drone. Maybe the 2 in, 2 out might work. Thanks for the advice.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
17,781 Posts
Yeah, been there done that. I went with the Solo cat back. I'm of an opinion that an engineered system is easier to get good sound than random muffler replacement. Not that it can't be done, but Flowmasters to me sound better on old school V8s, not so much modern Hemis, and not so much on our V6s. I know it's cheaper to just swap mufflers

A Guy

·
Registered
2016 Scat Pack M6
174 Posts
My suggesting is to go on YouTube and do a search and see whta sounds good to you. Its JMO but I don't like Flowmasters on these cars

·
Registered
2018 Challenger R/T Plus - Billet Clearcoat
361 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I don't want to spend a lot of cash. I'm just wanting to do a muffler swap. I want the deep tone from the fm44, but if you think that won't produce the sound I'm looking for, what muffler would you suggest?

·
Registered
2016 Scat Pack M6
174 Posts
I don't want to spend a lot of cash. I'm just wanting to do a muffler swap. I want the deep tone from the fm44, but if you think that won't produce the sound I'm looking for, what muffler would you suggest?
This is super 44 w resonators removed if this is the sound you want. here you go

·
Registered
48 Posts
I think A Guy's suggestion is better if money is no object. But if you want a Flowmaster product that won't give you drone and will sound right for a V6, I doubt the Super 44. Consider the Super 40 or Delta Flow 40 instead. The Super 40 has a thicker case and a baffle design within that will give a deeper tone than the Super 44.

They also have the Laminar Flow products that were designed for V6 and 4 cyl. imports. There are videos of axleback systems on V6 Mustangs and Camaros under the old Hushpower label. Check it out and see what you think. It sounds more refined than the Super 44.

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Maybe you're right, I watched a video and it sounded pretty good. I was also just looking on the Mopar website and they sale the cat back scat pack exhaust that will fit on my sxt. They claim it will make it rumble. Have you heard the sxt with this exhaust? I know it cost a lot more than a muffler, but I could put the 40 on for now and change the entire system down the road.

·
Registered
2018 Challenger R/T Plus - Billet Clearcoat
361 Posts
This is probably as good as it gets for a 6 cylinder after a Borla install.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Has anyone heard an sxt with a flowmaster super hp-2 muffler. Its thinner for tight areas, and FM claims that it will give a deeper tone. I can't find a video with this muffler.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
17,781 Posts
Kind of...

A Guy

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I think that sounded pretty good for a 3.6. I think this is the answer to my problem. Thanks for the help. BTW, I saw on FM's website that Holley is sponsoring a Mopar party this September in Bowling Green, Ky. Looks like fun.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts