Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody have any videos of a R/T with some Magnaflows or Flowmasters welded into the exhaust? I don't want to spend all that money on a catback if I can get a good sound from just buying some mufflers.

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Or can you guys give me some opinions of what mufflers I should buy? When I get my cutouts back I don't think I'm going to put them back on if I can find some mufflers I like.

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
***anybody?

·
Premium Member
1,572 Posts
Funny, I'm sort of curious about the same thing. I'm looking to just get a bit more tone and flow out of the stock system. I'm not really looking to spend 1,400.00 on a catback system either. Looking into Magnaflow mufflers welded to the stock pipes and leave the stock resonators in place. Just curious on what that would sound like.

Anyone have a setup like this?

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
I have an rt autostick, so I replaced the suitcase with two double offset magnaflows, and left the resonators in place, my car sounds stock, I have won 19/20 races at HMP's 1/8th mile track including a 392 6 speed and two 6 speed r/t's. Getting so none of the stockers will race me and my car is not exceptionally fast, but my reaction times are good and my 60 ft's are now consistantly 2.0's and 2.1's. I picked up .6 from my baseline run and another.2 from seat time..Total expense so far less than $800. including 180* stat, Predator, magnaflows and k&n drop in.The stock exhaust piping will support 500hp+ so paying big $ for a catback doesn't make sense. The resonators are not restrictive but they sure keep it quiet. They are 2.5" in an out but the perforated center section measures 2.75. Since you removed the mufflers your only choice is to replace the resonators, cherry bombs are very popular. I dont recommend blastin bob's, the drone will kill you.If you have the $ electric cutouts are nice,noise when you want it and peace and quiet when you dont..

·
Premium Member
713 Posts
I have the Flowmaster Force II cat-back, with the Super 44 series mufflers, and like it. The Flowmaster American Thunder is also good. I would recommend either. And both are very reasonable priced, and avail from several site vendors.

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have an rt autostick, so I replaced the suitcase with two double offset magnaflows, and left the resonators in place, my car sounds stock, I have won 19/20 races at HMP's 1/8th mile track including a 392 6 speed and two 6 speed r/t's. Getting so none of the stockers will race me and my car is not exceptionally fast, but my reaction times are good and my 60 ft's are now consistantly 2.0's and 2.1's. I picked up .6 from my baseline run and another.2 from seat time..Total expense so far less than $800. including 180* stat, Predator, magnaflows and k&n drop in.The stock exhaust piping will support 500hp+ so paying big $ for a catback doesn't make sense. The resonators are not restrictive but they sure keep it quiet. They are 2.5" in an out but the perforated center section measures 2.75. Since you removed the mufflers your only choice is to replace the resonators, cherry bombs are very popular. I dont recommend blastin bob's, the drone will kill you.If you have the $ electric cutouts are nice,noise when you want it and peace and quiet when you dont..
I already have cutouts but when they're open I feel like I lose some torque and its a hassle sending them in and waiting forever on them when they start leaking.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Funny, I'm sort of curious about the same thing. I'm looking to just get a bit more tone and flow out of the stock system. I'm not really looking to spend 1,400.00 on a catback system either. Looking into Magnaflow mufflers welded to the stock pipes and leave the stock resonators in place. Just curious on what that would sound like.

Anyone have a setup like this?
I was considering the same thing also. I want no drone, and was thinking just better flowing mufflers, and leaving the resonators.
I've always been partial to the tone of Dynomax ultra flows..deep sound.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I was wondering, did replacing the stock suitcase muffler with Magnaflows increase the sound at least just a bit? I want to get just a bit more sound, but keep the resonators. I have a 2011 R/T, which doesn't have the suitcase, but has two mufflers in its place, offset offset. What model number magnaflow mufflers did you put in? If you remember?

·
Registered
316 Posts
I went with the flowmastet 10 series. I replaced the actual mufflers in the rear and the resonators prior to the mufflers. the mufflers are now welded in where the resonators used to be. I have no drone at any RPM, the car is maybe 10% louder at idle and screams at WOT. Im really happy with it and less than $200 spent. Next up some shorty hedders

·
Registered
179 Posts
Juve996 - You don't have to spend $1400 on a Cat-Back system. We offer 2 different 409S Stainless Steel Cat-Back systems for the Challenger that are both under $800 list price. Both come with a Lifetime Warranty and great sound. 817479

rdockery - You lose torque when you open your cutouts because you lose velocity in the exhaust system. It's common to confuse loss of velocity with loss of "back pressure". Velocity is the speed of the exhaust traveling through the exhaust and out of the tailpipe, which helps pull spent gases out of the combustion chambers.

The most misunderstood aspect of exhaust systems is back pressure, people think it's necessary, but it's not. It's best to have an exhaust system that has ZERO back pressure. The easiest way to describe your loss in torque (in relation to back pressure) is that you open your exhaust to the air and you have a negative amount of back pressure. You don't want a negative amount or a positive amount of back pressure...you want zero back pressure. That's why designing an exhaust system is more than just throwing a set of mufflers on a car and calling it a day. We spend a lot of time on the dyno with factory equipped vehicles before and after installing our exhaust to make sure all of our kits actually increase HP and torque before we offer them as a Cat-Back or Axle-Back.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
In the past I bought several cars that had flowmasters on them, don't know if they were complete systems but both droned so much I replaced them with top of the line magnaflows,I like the mirror polished finish though I seldom got underneath the car to see them, but knowing they were there gave me a warm fuzzy feeling. I first replaced the suitcase with two double offset magnaflows[special order] this created a perfect alignment, no bends required.Yesterday did the resonator delete, used a different shop as my former shop got greedy . This muffler expert said he had done a dozen or more and could do it without any major bends. He relocated a couple of the hangers and each side has two 15* bends, stock tips were used but he took the time to polish them and alignment is perfect.Paid a bit more than most report here , $120.MDS at low cruising speeds 30 or so does get irritating, but highway speed cruising 60-70 is almost silent inside the car.Wot is flat meen sounding.Will be two weeks before I get back to the track as I won a free seat in an online poker tournament this Sunday, 1st pays $1000, I've won it twice in the last 18 months.

·
Registered
88 Posts
In the past I bought several cars that had flowmasters on them, don't know if they were complete systems but both droned so much I replaced them with top of the line magnaflows,I like the mirror polished finish though I seldom got underneath the car to see them, but knowing they were there gave me a warm fuzzy feeling. I first replaced the suitcase with two double offset magnaflows[special order] this created a perfect alignment, no bends required.Yesterday did the resonator delete, used a different shop as my former shop got greedy . This muffler expert said he had done a dozen or more and could do it without any major bends. He relocated a couple of the hangers and each side has two 15* bends, stock tips were used but he took the time to polish them and alignment is perfect.Paid a bit more than most report here , $120.MDS at low cruising speeds 30 or so does get irritating, but highway speed cruising 60-70 is almost silent inside the car.Wot is flat meen sounding.Will be two weeks before I get back to the track as I won a free seat in an online poker tournament this Sunday, 1st pays $1000, I've won it twice in the last 18 months.
Do you know the model numbers of these magnaflows that fit well?
thanks
Brian

·
Premium Member
713 Posts
I have the Flowmaster Force II on my car, and love it. No drone. I've talked to a few different people, and something to keep in mind is the difference between complete systems, and mufflers. Flowmaster offers a variety of mufflers, and while some are "louder" than others, used without resonators, they might drone. I prefer going with a complete "tuned" setup for maximum performance gain and the best sound.

·
Registered
896 Posts
Brian H, if you decide to do this, I'd be interested in buying your stock mufflers. Just trying to get rid of my suitcase for a little more tone.

·
Registered
295 Posts
I hope this helps, very aggressive at full throttle, nice throaty sound while cruising.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.