Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
13 R/T - Check engine light came on after the car sat for 4 days without running. Car sounds and runs fine. Drove it 75 miles today with no problems. Had the codes read and it spit out the following combination of seemingly unrelated codes.

P0013, P0132, P2245, P2246, P3401, P3425, P3441, P3449

Cam Shaft Position Actuator, O2S Shorted to voltage, O2 Sensor Voltage Hi, O2 Sensor Voltage Low, Cylinder 1 Deactivation/Intake Valve Ctrl Circ/Open, Cylinder 4 Deactivation/Intake Valve Ctrl Circ/Open, Cylinder 6 Deactivation/Intake Valve Ctrl Circ/Open, Cylinder 7 Deactivation/Intake Valve Ctrl Circ/Open

Before I take it to the dealer, can anyone see anything common with this combination of codes.

I'm going to go look for rodent damage. Will get back with report. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Found the rodent damage. Sensor wiring and connector on the back left lower part of the engine, on the exhaust. There may be more I can't see.

Next question. Let's hear your rodent repellent methods. Something that can stay under the hood and not cause more problems. This is the second sensor damage and third incident of rodent damage in 5 years. Car sits outside, so "getting a cat" isn't the solution. There are more mice, chipmunks and red squirrels than they a cat can keep up with. Need something to repel them from the engine compartment.

·
Super Moderator
16,209 Posts
I wonder if the harnesses can be wrapped with a wire mesh to keep the rodents from gnawing on them.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
20,634 Posts

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Those both look like good options, but, damn, there's alot of exposed wiring (all the coil packs, all the sensors), times two, because I have RAM with a HEMI that sits in the same driveway.

What's odd about this is that I had a Honda Ridgeline sit in this same driveway, same location, for 7 years and never had any rodent damage. Challenger has been there for 5 years, and this is the third incident. I know I've had mice the entire 11 years I've lived here (see them in the wood pile, catch them in traps around the deck, etc...). Something about the wiring in the Challenger is enticing to them. They haven't hit the RAM yet.

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
And some good news, apparently GEICO covers rodent damage under my comprehensive coverage AND my local Dodge dealer is a direct repair facility for GEICO so....I just drop the car off, they find and repair all the damage, GEICO pays the bill, and my deductible is $0.

I'm going to try one of those under dash ultrasonic rodent repellents (battery powered, not connected to the car battery). Found one with all 5-star reviews on Amazon. Will test it out on the Challenger and add one to the RAM it seems to work.

·
Super Moderator
16,209 Posts
Some types of insulation have a scent that is appealing to rodents - since more wiring insulation material is being made to recycle easier, its been susceptible to rodents.

Your truck probably gets driven often enough that rodents don't see this as an opportunity as a "home".

All those stories of "barn find" cars...they stink of mouse and rat urine, have nests in the seats, headliner and the wiring harnesses are history. See a few of these and you can smell them from 8-10' away in the open air outside.

I had a friend that for whatever reason, would park his Mercedes and open the hood a bit to allow the engine to cool off - why he thought that was necessary?

Anyway - one day starts the car up and the dash lights up as if you're in downtown Tokyo. $7 worth of wire harnesses plus the labor to install them.

Took the shop a couple of times to get the final details sorted out as there were many variations on harnesses depending on equipment installed.

Its probably not a bad idea to put traps out (and poison bait) around a vehicle that sits a lot. Its a matter of luring them away all the while of trying to keep the population in check.

A lot of people that have farms or equipment have cats - for the purpose of keeping the rodent population in check. Or terrier breeds that have that high predatory instinct for vermin.

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've done the poison and traps, and the issue with mice, especially out in the backwoods where I live, is that as soon as you kill them all off, other's move in to fill the void in the ecosystem. Once you start, you have to keep doing it forever. I tried luring in some feral cats. And that worked for a while, but in order to get them to hang out and kill mice, you have to throw some food and water out for them, and that draws in the raccoons and bears....and THEY do way more damage than the mice do.

And the mice don't seem to care about whether the car is being driven. Car had only been sitting for 4 days. In the summer, my truck sits M-F without being driven....and some weekends, I may not use it, so it may sit for nearly two weeks without being driven. Same routine when I had the Honda Ridgeline, along with my Challenger. Challenger get's all the driving from March-November, and the truck(s) would sit all week. Never any damage on the Honda (7 years) or RAM REBEL (2 years) sitting in the same driveway....but the Challenger's been chewed 3 times. One time was a nest built under the engine cover while it was under a cover in the driveway over the winter. I can understand that. Next winter, I'll fill the engine compartment with mothballs and put some material underneath that I can soak with repellent.

But the other two times the Challenger was chewed, was while it was being driven. First time, it was an overnight thing. Drove it one day, next day, check engine light and O2 sensor chewed up. This time it was 4 days sitting over a long weekend.

There's a guy in the area that keeps cobras as pets. I wonder if I can get him to let them loose on my place for a while.

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
K-Dawg..... Sorry to hear about your mice attacks. Maybe something like these would help if you've got the space. Pretty reasonably priced and adds to to the value of your home. Good Luck.

https://www.newhollandsupply.com/pole-barn-kits

https://www.stoltzfus-builders.com/pole-building-garages.php

https://www.google.com/search?q=pole building garages&cad=h
Nice thought, but there's not a garage door made that a mouse can't get by. In my current garage, they will literally compress the rubber seal around the edges to squeeze through. A mouse can fit through a 10mm opening. I'm able to keep poison baits and traps in the garage and I'll catch the odd one here and there in the garage. Out in the driveway, when I set traps, sometimes the mouse is there when I come home from work, and I empty and re-bait...but other times, the local cats or other varmints will run off into the woods, with the mouse AND the trap. I'll find the weathered remains of wooden mouse traps in the woods when I'm out there hiking, hunting, or cutting firewood. I tried the weather-resistant plastic spring traps (more expensive), so I ran an 8 inch spike through them to hold them to the ground.....varmints still pulled them up and ran off with the mouse in them.

Since my insurance covers the damage, my only real inconvenience is taking it to the shop every time...but I'm still going to try to fight these vermin. In addition to trapping and poisoning them, I'm going to put an under-hood ultrasonic device on the car, and get a large container of Peppermint Oil ($32 on Amazon) and put it on some of the wiring harnesess as well as on some sort of sponge or other material I can secure under the hood. Many of the other repellents are not nice smelling at all, I figure that if my car and truck smell like peppermint, it might not be too bad.

·
Super Moderator
16,209 Posts
you bring up a point I'll have to consider as my new house will back up to woods and river...and there'll be critters.

I was out at the site the other day, hammering in rebar where the survey guys marked off the property lines and where the footprint of the house will be.

While I paused for a few minutes I noticed what looked like a pile of black plastic tubing in the open, where the graders had scraped the grass away.

As I got up closer to it, I realized that was a black Rat Snake (common around the area). So I'm living closer to nature by not being in the large city.

With the snakes around, that means there's a food source and it might likely be mice or rats, among other things.

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well do your best to not disturb the rat snakes. Yes there's rodents and yes, he's eating them. Which is good for keeping the population down. Also good to not disturb the hawks, owls, foxes...all like mice. I have a small dog, so I have to shoo the great-horned owls (they'll take a 7lb dog) around my place.

Fighting the 4-legged varmints is much more stress reducing that dealing with the 2-legged ones in the cities. I can kill my varmints, without anyone batting an eye-lash. Gun-shots in the middle of the night in my area, are just neighbors "takin' care of business" and nothing to be alarmed about. I'm in a mortal battle with Raccoons who have gotten by every defense I've put on my bird feeder. Trying to avoid wholesale slaughter, but if they keep shitting on my front porch, I'm gonna feed everyone of them to the buzzards ("Buzzard's gotta eat, same as worms" - Josey Wales).

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
20,634 Posts
That Honda tape I posted came about because apparently Honda used a soy based wire covering. The rodents love it. There was a lawsuit about it. I'm sure they hit on a genius idea to save some money, not thinking about the environment some live in. A Guy

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
That's interesting, because my Ridgeline sat in the driveway for 7 years and never had any rodent damage. My Challenger's been there for 5 and been chewed up 3 times. Might be ease of access. On the Ridgeline and current RAM, the only way up, in on the tires for quite a ways before they could reach some part of the suspension, chassis or body work. Mice don't climb metal well (need to dig their claws into something). The Challenger sits pretty low, and it's probably not a hard jump from the front suspension into the engine compartment.

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Just got the call from the GEICO claims adjuster. After the dealership did the inspection on all of the rodent damage, the cost of the repairs is......$1284.95. One little mouse did nearly $1300 damage to my car. Now alot of that is labor (exhaust manifold needs to be removed to replace one of the sensors), but still.....if I was in the car repair business, I'd be scattering mice all around to get this money maker into high gear!

·
Super Moderator
16,209 Posts
Just got the call from the GEICO claims adjuster. After the dealership did the inspection on all of the rodent damage, the cost of the repairs is......$1284.95. One little mouse did nearly $1300 damage to my car. Now alot of that is labor (exhaust manifold needs to be removed to replace one of the sensors), but still.....if I was in the car repair business, I'd be scattering mice all around to get this money maker into high gear!
Think about what rodent damage if they get into the walls of your house - by the time the evidence is found, a lot of damage has been going on.

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Indeed. Last fall, the wife was complaining of "scratching" noises coming from the ceiling above her bedroom. I attributed it to whatever it is in women that makes them hear all kinds of stuff that men can't hear (like the sound of her sigh when she' disappointed again in something I did, said, or bought). But one night I heard it too. Went into the attic, and confronted two very agitated flying squirrels. After some contortions, gymnastics, and several head smashes into the roof trusses, I was able to evict them and stuff the gap in the soffet full of rags until I could properly seal the opening with spray foam.

The little bastards had made a right-proper nest, right in the middle of 18" thick pink fiberglass insulation batting.

·
Super Moderator
14,189 Posts
My neighbor has a 2018 Charger Scat Pack. He keeps his car covered in his suburban driveway and only drives it 2-3 times per week. Squirrels chewed up his wires. He believes that the scent of the wires attracted the squirrels because peanut oil is used in the manufacturing of the insulation.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Some types of insulation have a scent that is appealing to rodents - since more wiring insulation material is being made to recycle easier, its been susceptible to rodents.

Your truck probably gets driven often enough that rodents don't see this as an opportunity as a "home".

All those stories of "barn find" cars...they stink of mouse and rat urine, have nests in the seats, headliner and the wiring harnesses are history. See a few of these and you can smell them from 8-10' away in the open air outside.

I had a friend that for whatever reason, would park his Mercedes and open the hood a bit to allow the engine to cool off - why he thought that was necessary?

Anyway - one day starts the car up and the dash lights up as if you're in downtown Tokyo. $7 worth of wire harnesses plus the labor to install them.

Took the shop a couple of times to get the final details sorted out as there were many variations on harnesses depending on equipment installed.

Its probably not a bad idea to put traps out (and poison bait) around a vehicle that sits a lot. Its a matter of luring them away all the while of trying to keep the population in check.

A lot of people that have farms or equipment have cats - for the purpose of keeping the rodent population in check. Or terrier breeds that have that high predatory instinct for vermin.
Just saw this article today and thought I'd share... :|

https://www.usatoday.com/story/mone...ve-car-wiring-soy-based-insulation/588638002/

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Isn't THAT a kick in the shorts. Make your wiring out of stuff rats like to eat. Need to put the knucklehead that had THAT idean in swiss-cheese undershorts and dump him in a rat-infested sewer.

In addition to an ultrasonic device under the hood, I'm going to spray the firewall insulation, and any other exposed cloth-looking tape wrap with peppermint oil based repellent.

I've got some poison boxes and 1/2 dozen traps around the driveway, but I might have to pull the traps up. Couple birds have been killed going for the peanut butter I used for bait, and my little 4-year old grand-daughter read me the riot act (4-year-old style) for killing a "poor little birdie".

1 - 20 of 20 Posts