Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Muscle Cars: Old Generation or New?

by Scott Bianchi​

Ford was the first of the Big Three American car makers to introduce a car that would bring them back to a time when they were one of the leaders in the automotive world. Chrysler has announced that they plan to be the next and GM has unveiled plans for a retro vehicle as well. Ford had initially done this retro thing via the Ford Thunderbird but that was not considered a “muscle car” back in the muscle car era. Chrysler has brought back the Charger name but it looks nothing like the Dodge Charger of the late 60’s and early 70’s. GM brought back the GTO name but once again, it looked nothing like the previous GTO’s.​

Chrysler followed suit with their announcement of bringing back the Challenger, which in my opinion looks more like the [classic] Challenger than the Mustang...[looks like the 'classic' Mustang].
Ford was the first to bring a car back that actually looks like a past model in the Mustang. The new Mustangs resemble a pervious Mustang from the muscle car era. Chrysler followed suit with their announcement of bringing back the Challenger, which in my opinion looks more like the Challenger than the Mustang does. Not wanting to be left out, GM has announced they plan to bring back the Camaro. Their Camaro very much resembles the 69 Camaro which was and still is a very popular body style amongst Camaro enthusiasts. I still think the Challenger most resembles its intended target.

Clearly GM needs to price the new Camaro properly when and if they actually do produce it. The name will not be enough to sell it for a long period of time. Once the initial excitement dies down it will be a flop if not priced directly.
Ford has done a decent job pricing their Mustang. You can get a nicely equipped Mustang GT hardtop for right around $30,000. This is reasonably priced in today’s market. The other two have not gotten theirs to the showroom yet so there is no way to know about pricing but they face a challenge that Ford does not have. Chrysler has the Viper and the Ram SRT-10 that also qualify in the performance market. They cannot price the Challenger too closely to those models because people would probably spend the extra money for the higher performance of the ten cylinder vehicles. GM is faced with a similar dilemma because of the Corvette. The Corvette was just restyled and is even higher performing compared to the previous model. Their Z06 model now boasts an impressive 505 HP. All the reviews I have read on the new model rave about this car. Clearly GM needs to price the new Camaro properly when and if they actually do produce it. The name will not be enough to sell it for a long period of time. Once the initial excitement dies down it will be a flop if not priced directly.

Read more here

Source: DailyIndia.com
by Scott Bianchi
March 02, 2006

·
Registered
14 Posts
???

Not sure what this guy's point is. Also, I'm confused by statements like, "Maxima is a very high performance car." And by the implication that somebody who's shopping for Challengers or Mustangs might instead buy a Camry.

That aside: the Mustang GT, while not the looker or performer that a 5.7 or 6.1 litre Challenger would be, will no doubt continue to be a better seller just on the basis of cost. Less bang, but also less buck. Most of the Mustang GT buyers are actually already stretching some to make its payment.

Final take: GM will have absolutely zero difficulty pricing the Camaro to compete with the Mustang. Most of the Mustangs out there aren't the GT flavor; they're six-bangers, and GM has 6 cylinder blocks to spare. Also a 400 HP LS2 to keep the top-end Camaro under the Z06's power curve, and more weight on the Camaro to keep it slower than the C6 Vette. Heck, by the time the Camaro hits the road, the Z06 will be sporting an LS9.

·
Registered
598 Posts
Mr.DJ said:
Not wanting to be left out, GM has announced they plan to bring back the Camaro. Their Camaro very much resembles the 69 Camaro which was and still is a very popular body style amongst Camaro enthusiasts.
It does?!!!!:rolleyes: ....You got to be kidding me?!!...If this guy really thinks the new camaro concept,looks alot like a '69 camaro,...he must be doin' crack!!!:rolleyes:

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Vanishing Point said:
It does?!!!!:rolleyes: ....You got to be kidding me?!!...If this guy really thinks the new camaro concept,looks alot like a '69 camaro,...he must be doin' crack!!!:rolleyes:
Yep, I've got to agree with you again. That new 'GTO' concept drawing that another member posted-up earlier looks more like a 'retro' ('69) Camaro to me. ;)

·
Premium Member
1,252 Posts
Well the title of the article asks a question, my answer is new. I will always drool over a beautiful correct stock E-Body muscle car, as well for a detailed Resto-Mod G-Machine E-body. I will always admire the owners who can maintain these rides. For me at this time the modern muscle car has more appeal. Modern muscle car performance and style has finally eclipsed the classics and they do things the classics never could making for a better daily driver. If executed right and given a chance the new generation of muscle cars will win back many youth who drive “Ricers” and pick up trucks...just need some used modern muscle in the pipeline.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts