Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Premium Member
2016 Scat Pack
945 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As I am approaching my 6 months oil change interval and the curiosity gets the best of me to open my catch can I installed in April for the first time, and to my surprise, it's 3/4 of the can of sweet burnt oil already. I'm a believer of the catch cans now.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
14,221 Posts
I've been a believer and have had a BT version on my SRT for 8 years. A good catch can is cheap insurance for your engine.

The liquid that accumulates in the catch can is not burnt oil. It is a nasty brew of condensed oil mist, water, acids and gasoline vapor. That's why you should never pour it back into the engine.

Here is a link to an excellent illustrated explanation of the value of a catch can.

Oil Catch Cans | Everything you need to know and more!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,874 Posts
I've been a believer and have had a BT version on my SRT for 8 years. A good catch can is cheap insurance for your engine.

The liquid that accumulates in the catch can is not burnt oil. It is a nasty brew of condensed oil mist, water, acids and gasoline vapor. That's why you should never pour it back into the engine.

Here is a link to an excellent illustrated explanation of the value of a catch can.

Oil Catch Cans | Everything you need to know and more!
ALRIGHT!!! (Seinfeld) You paint a pretty picture, convinced me. After reading on this for hours you did it.
Congratulations. Very well put.

Reactions: Evil Minion

·
Premium Member
2,874 Posts
My car did not have a catch can when I bought it and when I checked the condition of the cylinders with a bore scope the tops were covered in carbon. I installed a catch can and 5k later the tops are almost carbon free.
Thank you. I am now a believer. I will get one too now.

·
Premium Member
2,620 Posts

Attachments

Reactions: SRT8U

·
Registered
212 Posts
Okay thanks -- you made me a believer. Just ordered a BT catch can for mine

·
Registered
2015 SRT392 A8 in white pearl coat
1,375 Posts
UPR makes an excellent catch can for our challengers. That's where I got mine. It has a dual disk separation system. I called them on the phone and ordered mine direct. I bought their silver one, and put a couple coats of clear on it before installing. Below is a picture I took of the internals just before I installed it.
[/url]IMG_0077 by gary house, on Flickr[/IMG]
You can check out their website here:CLICKY
Edit: Instructions are a little vague. The website's pictures are your best bet. I had some questions about this and so did Silver Scat when he installed his. Note: When attaching the can's bracket to the engine, you'll be pulling a plastic plug out of the front side of the passenger side cylinder head. A small screwdriver to pry the friction fit plastic plug is all that's needed to get it out. This plug holds the wiring harness to the cylinder head and it's inserted into a threaded hole. This is where you put your mounting bolt for the catch can's bracket. Not sure if this bolt is supplied. Harness can hang loose, it's not going anywhere.

Arrington makes a rather expensive can for the Hemi, and MAY well be the best out there. Certainly seems to be the priciest. CLICKY

·
Premium Member
2,874 Posts
UPR makes an excellent catch can for our challengers. That's where I got mine. It has a dual disk separation system. Below is a picture I took of the internals just before I installed it.
[/url]IMG_0077 by gary house, on Flickr[/IMG]
You can check out their website here:CLICKY

Arrington makes a rather expensive can for the Hemi, and MAY well be the best out there. Certainly seems to be the priciest. CLICKY
Gary, have you opened yours yet? I know it hasn't been long, and you don't race. Just wondering how much they catch even if you drive like a citizen. I believe you stated that you do. I am ordering mine soon. Suddenly became a believer.
THANK YOU! Glad you are taking care of..........................that car.

·
Premium Member
460 Posts
I drive mine around like an old man, and I checked mine after about 300 miles, and there was enough gunk in there to cover the bottom of the can about a quarter of an inch thick.

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
Gary, have you opened yours yet? I know it hasn't been long, and you don't race. Just wondering how much they catch even if you drive like a citizen. I believe you stated that you do. I am ordering mine soon. Suddenly became a believer.
THANK YOU! Glad you are taking care of..........................that car.
Scat, since you can't bring yourself to say "your car" I'll accept the words... THAT car. For those of you scratching yer heads, Scat's got big plans to buy my car someday when I'm done babying it. :|
Yes indeed, I'm trying to take care of it.
Just pulled the catch can and checked it. It has about a full tablespoon after maybe 1500 miles. It's doing its job. But don't expect my results to be YOUR results. You've gotta put cher foot down if'n ya wanna fill the thing up. I don't, so it don't.

Tom:
Not sure, but I'd guess you've got as much oil in 300 miles as I've got in 1500. Just for what it's worth. Guessing your "gramps driving" is more like the little old lady from passedina. She was old, but she DROVE that thing. hohoho

·
Premium Member
2,874 Posts
Scat, since you can't bring yourself to say "your car" I'll accept the words... THAT car. For those of you scratching yer heads, Scat's got big plans to buy my car someday when I'm done babying it. :|
Yes indeed, I'm trying to take care of it.
Just pulled the catch can and checked it. It has about a full tablespoon after maybe 1500 miles. It's doing its job. But don't expect my results to be YOUR results. You've gotta put cher foot down if'n ya wanna fill the thing up. I don't, do it don't.

Tom:
Not sure, but I'd guess you've got as much oil in 300 miles as I've got in 1500. Just for what it's worth. Guessing your "gramps driving" is more like the little old lady from passedina. She was old, but she DROVE that thing. hohoho
No they don't mention her name was Shirley Muldowney.

·
Premium Member
460 Posts
Tom:
I spend most of my time sitting in the driveway, revving the piss out of it.

I do spend most of the driving time with the transmission in track mode, so my RPM may be higher than some on a regular basis, plus MDS is off, so, who knows...? I do like knowing that gunk isn't making it into the intake. The car had 43,000 miles on it before the can was installed, so who knows what the inside of the intake looks like?

·
Premium Member
2,874 Posts

I do spend most of the driving time with the transmission in track mode, so my RPM may be higher than some on a regular basis, plus MDS is off, so, who knows...? I do like knowing that gunk isn't making it into the intake. The car had 43,000 miles on it before the can was installed, so who knows what the inside of the intake looks like?
Did you run any of that TB cleaner in your gas? I heard it helps for the present. That is what I am hoping. But only have 3400 miles so far. Good luck.

·
Registered
2015 SRT, 6 Speed, Sublime Green
1,643 Posts
Just changed oil yesterday. Catch can was about 1/2" from full. This after a long western road trip and some local driving...about 5500 miles.

·
Registered
1,375 Posts

That's what I thought. Most guys who SAY they drive like gramma... don't. And that's fine. I'm not criticizing here. Gramma doesn't have any fun anyway. Her greatest thrill is finding a dress that is "slimming." Did I actually just USE that word? Ughh. Guess I've been hanging around the women too much. I've got 17k miles on my Challenger and indeed drive like gramma. It's never been over 5k RPMs under my foot and typically doesn't go over 4k. I've never attempted to do a 0-60 run, and I'll never race another soul as long as I own the car. The car will likely never see 80 mph either. I just don't drive that way. I don't even like using the brakes if I can help it. I'd rather downshift instead. 6 piston Brembos are such a waste on my car. They'll never be needed. Fine, I'm weird: shoot me. Anyway, your 43k miles indeed have done a job on your intake valves and pistons. However, you might enjoy hearing that one fella put a catch can on his engine and checked his pistons with a bore scope before and then after a few thousand miles. He said there was a marked difference in the carbon on those pistons AFTER the catch can was installed. They looked a lot better. Prolly ditto for the valves???

Thought you might enjoy a little actual documented evidence. Wish I'd copied the online source where I read that last week. I'm a voracious reader and spend hours each day learning about things like this. FWIW, I'm a stay at home son watching after an aging mom. I don't get out much.

Gary

·
Premium Member
460 Posts
90+ percent of my driving is done in 25 and 35 mph zones. The engine rarely actually revs very high. I've never done a 0-60 time, or raced the car. But the car has massive amounts of vacuum on the pcv.

40,000+ miles were driven by someone at Chrysler, or reviewers, or who knows? I'm guessing they drove it hard, but the catch can was only installed this summer.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts