Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
921 Posts
Test your battery, check your battery connections, loose connections will cause you problems, same with a tired battery. Everything may look normal but you wont have enough current (amps) to start your car.

·
Super Moderator
14,920 Posts
Do you have the original battery? If so, it is 7 years old and is probably shot. Buy a new one.

A good choice would be the long-lasting and powerful Bosch Platinum battery (vented) with absorbent glass mat technology. That is what I have in my SRT.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Test your battery, check your battery connections, loose connections will cause you problems, same with a tired battery. Everything may look normal but you wont have enough current (amps) to start your car.
I just bought a new battery for it. And it does tha same... This is frustrating..

·
Registered
2012 srt8 yellow jacket 6.4L A5
17 Posts
Asd relay pop the cover off the relay put a small folded paper between the switch part holding it open and fire it up

·
Premium Member
921 Posts
If the battery is good you either have a bad electrical connection (somewhere) or blown fuse / relay. You may need an auto electrician to check your car out to confirm, also with modern cars it could be something in the electronics that can not be diagnosed without an diagnostic tool which leaves us all scratching our heads. Good luck.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If the battery is good you either have a bad electrical connection (somewhere) or blown fuse / relay. You may need an auto electrician to check your car out to confirm, also with modern cars it could be something in the electronics that can not be diagnosed without an diagnostic tool which leaves us all scratching our heads. Good luck.
I sure been scratching my head over this... Im have to send it to a good shop

·
Registered
17 Posts
Had a issue and still am to sum point but if you go to the fuse box under the hood it should be labeled under the fuse box cover break the plastic on the outside of the relay and you will see a tang that gets pulled from left to right on side of asd relay wedge a pieace of a matchbook folded over once so the tang makes contact with the side of relay and it should fire right up

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
9,270 Posts
Have you tried starting by using the keyfob as a key instead of using the push button. Seems like the earlier challengers had issues with WIN module and keyfob communication especially after replacing the battery or experiencing a dead battery.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Ya tried that already the only way it will start is by jumping the relay the computer is shutting down the ground path to the asd relay I'm not sure why other than the misfire p0304 cylinder 4 what's weird is that this all happened before the battery went bad replaced it did the relearns put in new cam sensor new OEM plugs new coil pack the misfire is either a broken valve spring or a lifter getting stuck or a rounded cam lobe cause with a stethoscope and when driving you can feel and hear it engage then bind up on the intake side but I dont know much about how the mds works since my 5.7 in my truck does not have mds and I've put that 5.7 thru alot and have not had a problem yet

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
9,270 Posts
The P0304 should not be shutting down the ASD but the ASD could trigger a misfire code. Have you tried swapping the fuel injector on cylinder 4 with a different one to see if the misfire moves? If you suspect a bad spring/lifter (4 is an MDS cylinder) you could take off the valve cover and check the rockers for slop as you turn the crankshaft to TDC for cylinder 4. FYI there was a TSB for timing chain guide failure for '09-'12 5.7 automatic models.

·
Premium Member
921 Posts
??? umm so how is the OP getting on? I haven't been on line for a bit.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts