Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just got confirmation from Dodge that my 2015 Scat Pack Shaker is 1 of 5 !!!

It's a Sublime M6, SP Appearance Group (bumble bee seats, rear stripe, startup screen), Harmon Kardon, Sunroof, basically everything but the "technology group" with the odd looking sensor in the lower grill and the engine block heater.

I ordered it this way as my ideal alternative to the old school 426 cars which I cannot afford. Now I am bitten by the Hellcat bug. Since my SPS is one quite rare and I have all the paper on it (inspection sheets, ect) do I keep it or dump it for a Hellcat?

Attachments

·
Registered
5,720 Posts
You do know that for considerably less than a Hellcat you can make that car smoke a Hellcat, right? Since that either is or is close to being paid off. Just a suggestion, but hey, if you want the Hellcat, trust me, no one will think anything of it if you go that route either. Once you drive a Hellcat for a white, you'll want something faster, especially if you are into "fast" driving.

·
Registered
162 Posts
If you love it and want to make it faster than the hellcat, then supercharge that thing and put some bigger wheels on the rear. Then save some money for a new clutch after you roast out the stock one... :)

·
Registered
2015 SRT
178 Posts
Ultimately you have a great problem to have because there isn't a wrong answer. you can give the shaker Hellcat power or you can trade for a used Hellcat for a similar price. It's a very personal decision. If you want to go faster than a Hellcat, I recommend starting with a Hellcat and going from there.

Sent from my SM-N920R4 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
460 Posts
Dump it and get the Hellcat.These cars are far from rare and by the time it is worth a little more you'll be dead.
Yeah, honestly we've seen a bunch of 1 of 1 cars on here that REALLY aren't that rare. When they give you that info, they are going through a HUGE list of options, and it knocks down the one of whatever ratio pretty quickly. Even on the cars that are truly rare, like cars that came off the assembly line with options that they aren't supposed to have, it will take 20-30 years before they start becoming valuable again. On the late 60s and early 70s cars that are low production, it's usually a combo of just the model, engine, transmission and colors that are used for determining the rarity.

Ultimately, it's your call, but if you want an investment, you'll need to plan on having it for a long time. Be sure to never change the air in the tires, or any of the belts and hoses. Heh.

·
Premium Member
390 Posts
The whole "rare" thing is bogus. Mine is "1 of 1" for what it's worth. These cars are mass produced, and as others have already mentioned, you'd pretty much have to leave it untouched and possibly never even driven, then wait 40-50 years, then MAYBE it might get you a few more dollars than one that is comparable. That being said, since it's your car, do what you want with it. I leave mine stock, others enjoy making Scats faster that Cats. It's all good. Can't go wrong either way, just don't let the "rare" part of it factor in.

·
Premium Member
7,294 Posts
If you want a new car, buy it and ignore the fact that your current one is not common. My '09 R/T was 1 of 1, but I didn't blink an eye when I wanted the '15 (which turned out to be 1 of 1 as well). In the future, I won't blink an eye if I want to trade the '15 for something newer.

There are WAY too many late model Challengers out there for a certain one to be "worth a lot" in 30 or 40 years. Our current cars just aren't the same as the cars from the '60's & early '70's.

·
Premium Member
227 Posts
If you keep the SPS and supercharge the engine, please build it first. The 6.4s from what I've seen don't like boost in the slightest. I believe someone said it had something to do with ring gap. I've seen multiple threads of guys destroying their engine 5-6k miles after installing a supercharger.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
865 Posts
My wife & I saw a couple of bug juice green 2015 R/T's just today & really admired the color. One of them had white R/T stripes & the car was just stunning. I'd have a VERY HARD time getting rid of yours in that awesome one-year only color! And a shaker to boot. As you can see, I'm partial to the shakers...

·
Registered
408 Posts
You do know that for considerably less than a Hellcat you can make that car smoke a Hellcat, right? Since that either is or is close to being paid off. Just a suggestion, but hey, if you want the Hellcat, trust me, no one will think anything of it if you go that route either. Once you drive a Hellcat for a white, you'll want something faster, especially if you are into "fast" driving.
Not sure that's necessarily true. He would have to install a better oil pump, forged pistons, lower the compression, change the cam, supercharge it, change the clutch, fuel pump, add a larger radiator, P/S cooler, oil cooler, better brakes, better axles, and larger sway bars, get it tuned and he'd also probably want to change the Tremec's gear ratios.

·
Registered
660 Posts
Yeah, honestly we've seen a bunch of 1 of 1 cars on here that REALLY aren't that rare. When they give you that info, they are going through a HUGE list of options, and it knocks down the one of whatever ratio pretty quickly. Even on the cars that are truly rare, like cars that came off the assembly line with options that they aren't supposed to have, it will take 20-30 years before they start becoming valuable again. On the late 60s and early 70s cars that are low production, it's usually a combo of just the model, engine, transmission and colors that are used for determining the rarity.

Ultimately, it's your call, but if you want an investment, you'll need to plan on having it for a long time. Be sure to never change the air in the tires, or any of the belts and hoses. Heh.
Actually all published production numbers on vintage Mopars are based only on model, engine and transmission.

·
Premium Member
9,376 Posts
Right and based on that, the car in question is 1 of 94.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk
Based on watching many Barrett Jackson auctions, you better have a manual transmission if you want the car to sell for "all the money".
It's just the way it is.

·
Registered
86 Posts
If you keep the SPS and supercharge the engine, please build it first. The 6.4s from what I've seen don't like boost in the slightest. I believe someone said it had something to do with ring gap. I've seen multiple threads of guys destroying their engine 5-6k miles after installing a supercharger.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
had my procharger for two years, 6 psi, no problems whatsoever. to be fair shes not a daily driver and no trips to the track but she is ultra reliable with 550 rwhp with only a small amount of boost with stock internals, outside temp hot or not. be careful, you can get hooked on it...demon otw

·
Registered
3,325 Posts
Based on watching many Barrett Jackson auctions, you better have a manual transmission if you want the car to sell for "all the money".
It's just the way it is.
I suspect this will be even more true if our cars are ever worth anything as collectors. I had to leave the state to find a manual car in the color I wanted. Not trying to start a auto vs manual debate either. Any time a classic Muscle Car pops up at auction the description always goes like this: "...and its a 4 speed car too!"

1 - 20 of 51 Posts