Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
3,733 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I took my auto 392 to the track tonight. It had a full tank of gas and the air was horrible. 300 miles on the ODO and with the stock GSA GoodYears. EEEWWWWW!!!!! Here are the times that it put down.

First run.......Full tank
DA at +2400, Yes PLUS 2400 and 92 degrees.
ESP full on, well ya know i had to try. LOL
coolant temp at 210 degrees
13.0 @ 110 with a 2.2 60ft. ESP sucks in these cars.

Second run...Full tank
DA still at PLUS 2400 and 91 degrees.
ESP full off
coolant temp at 212 degrees
12.8 @ 110 with a 2.1 60ft. Spun quite a bit.

Third run......Full tank
DA at PLUS 2200 and 90 degrees. Still hot as hell.
ESP full off
coolant temp at 210 degrees
12.7 @ 110 with a 2.0 60ft. still spun a bit.

This car is capable of wayyyy better. The air was really crappy and it was not pulling near as hard as it was Saturday night when i was putting miles on it. It was 75 degrees Saturday night and it was pulling hard. I could tell it just wasnt all there tonight with the ari so hot and humid. I cant wait for the fall to see what it can really do. Ill post the timeslips tomorrow when I scan em in. Im goin to bed now.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Good runs. Curious as to whether these 392's will be affected by heat soak like the 6.1's are.

·
Premium Member
2,639 Posts
I cant wait to get mine.....Great job

·
Registered
3,733 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Good runs. Curious as to whether these 392's will be affected by heat soak like the 6.1's are.
As of now it seems not as much. Driving in traffic doesnt kill it as much as the 6.1L did. The intake on these cars cools down really quick and doesnt get anywhere near as hot as the 6.1L intake. Aslo torque management is a killer in the 392. There is a TON of TM on these auto 392's. Once Diablo gets the 392 tunes out I bet we will see 11's on these cars with just a tune. IF you can get it to hook. Its not easy because the torque comes in so early on the 6.4L. Even my Procharged 500rwhp Charger srt8 i had was more easy to launch than the 392. The goodyear RSA's just dont cut it at all.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Nice runs!!! Its awesome to see how fuel efficient these MDS equipped engines are 3 runs and still a full tank!!! LOL

I see 12.4s in your future with better 60 ft times. I will be hitting the track next Wednesday providing the weather is good. Im hoping for 12.5s.

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
I truly believe that these cars are capable of 12.50s in showroom condition. 12.40s in ideal weather. The 392 is badass. :pimp:

·
Registered
137 Posts
Nice run...I wish the challengers came with much wider rubber and didnt suffer from heat soak, my friends Camaro SS can make back to back 1/4 mile runs, if I try that my ET drops off 2-3 tenths and I can fry an egg on my intake...

·
Registered
3,733 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Mine doesnt have the heat soak problem anywhere near what the 6.1L does. My 6.1L i had was HORRIBLE!!!! I have noticed that my 392 does feel a little sluggish if in traffic for a while but not like how the 6.1L acted. I mean dyumm. If i was in traffic with my 6.1 a damn Chevette could have beatn me. LOL

·
Registered
432 Posts
I bet the Plastic intake will cut heat soak a lot.
yep, that's what I figure as well. It's unfortunate no aftermarket company ever came out with a composite manifold for the 6.1's. So we're stuck having to use phenolic spacers and other types of thermal barriers :disgust:

if I try that my ET drops off 2-3 tenths and I can fry an egg on my intake...
fry and egg ? heck, I could cook a steak on mine

·
Registered
490 Posts
When you are quoting 1/4 times, what does the DA number refer to?

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
DA can make a huge difference in 1/4-mile times, so it should always be listed along with the time slip data if possible. There are correction factors for DA which allow racers from all different altitudes and geographical locations to better compare their ET/MPH for the same model car.

That's what annoys me about car magazine data - they usually use a VBox and they also test at various locations and are never perfectly clear about whether or not the times are DA-corrected or not. At least Road & Track provides weather conditions and altitude for most of their test data.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Great link. Makes total sense considering a cars intake moves a certain volume of air. The density of that air will make a difference in combustion.

So when you go to the track do the post the DA?

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
Great link. Makes total sense considering a cars intake moves a certain volume of air. The density of that air will make a difference in combustion.

So when you go to the track do the post the DA?
Some tracks do. But mostly they will just tell you the elevation of the track and then it's up to you to check temp/RH levels that day.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts