Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys,

Hope you can help with my dilemma. I have a 2012 Challenger R/T Classic that I've owned for just over 5 years. It came with a Uconnect 430N RHB unit with NAV. Sadly, my screen started with what appeared to be a small hairline scratch on the bottom right corner of the screen. Eventually, it spiraled all the way to the middle and the touchscreen has become unresponsive. I'm still able to use the hard buttons, so the unit itself is OK. I'm afraid it is long out of warranty so I haven't bothered calling the dealer.

My questions to you guys are the following:

1. Is it worth it to replace the screen aftermarket? Any suggestions?
2. If the screen cannot be replaced, then I'd like to upgrade to a model with a rear camera. If I stay with Mopar stock units, which Uconnect models would you recommend? Is it possible to DIY for installing the camera?
3. If I replace the unit altogether with an aftermarket, can someone share their experience and make some recommendations.

Thanks in advance!

Joe:smile:

·
Super Moderator
16,216 Posts
There's a number of folks that used Jeep backup cameras (these are license plate frame camera) and used Lockpick software to gain a backup camera function.

The touchscreen 430N and 730N are used interchangeably in Challengers - you need the low speed bus version for a Challenger [there's both Low and High speed versions made, depending on which model it was for...]

Going aftermarket requires other adapters - personally, I'd rather keep the hands free functions and steering wheel controls without having use adapters that who knows how well they hold up after a few years.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
HI Hal H,

Thanks for your help! By the way, my RT has a spoiler. Is my assumption correct that the camera is installed there and that the wiring is already there as well? If so, can I buy an off-the-shelf camera and should it be just plug and play?

·
Super Moderator
16,216 Posts
HI Hal H,

Thanks for your help! By the way, my RT has a spoiler. Is my assumption correct that the camera is installed there and that the wiring is already there as well? If so, can I buy an off-the-shelf camera and should it be just plug and play?
the folks that fitted backup cameras to pre '15s were using a camera that was part of rear license plate light assembly or used a camera that attached to rear plate mount.

It would be conceivable to get the newer spoiler w/ a camera, but that would require painting the new spoiler, which adds more cost.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts