Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2014 R/T M6, like most, I have problems with the 1-2 shift being notchy to downright difficult. I have the skip shift turned off in the tune and installed the standard Barton shifter. It helped and was substantially more robust. I then angled the shifter handle more towards me, and again more improvement, but still notchy. 2 weeks ago I orderd a replacement shifter ball knob from Barton. I went with the weighted one. This thing is solid billet and weighs 1 pound by itself. I've read that weighted knobs improve shift feel. All I can say is that this single purchase has made the most difference of all of the above. Super smooth and easy shifts in all gears. The CDV delete is coming next but the weighted knob by itself did wonders. If you have an extra 80.00 laying around, it's worth the investment. Hope someone else benefits from this mod. At the least, it has many personalization options and feels much better than the plastic knob.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
20,782 Posts
You have a 1 pound knob! :surprise: (Sorry, I couldn't resist, and someone had to say it!)

A Guy >:)

·
Registered
47 Posts
My 15 SRT392 has to be the worst shifting car I've ever owned. The barton shifter helps a little I will have to try this thanks. Also need to do the cdv delete but I'm going to need a lift for that. If that doesn't fix the problem I'm thinking maybe a new clutch like the mcleod rxt or dragon claw not sure?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My 15 SRT392 has to be the worst shifting car I've ever owned. The barton shifter helps a little I will have to try this thanks. Also need to do the cdv delete but I'm going to need a lift for that. If that doesn't fix the problem I'm thinking maybe a new clutch like the mcleod rxt or dragon claw not sure?
Made a huge difference for me. I can't explain why though. Logic would tell me that this heavy knob shouldn't be doing anything that physical strength wouldn't have, but it has and I'm not complaining one bit.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Mine got better after I took my car to the shop for squeaking and groaning of the linkage. They greased it and after a few weeks the notchiness went away too. I also noticed that the shifter has a tenancy to 'want' to go into the correct gear...if that makes any sense...I learned to trust it more and that helped too.

·
Registered
410 Posts
I must be some outlier because my M6 is like butter. Smoothest shifting car I've ever driven in a manual.

Reactions: MrMac

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
I must be some outlier because my M6 is like butter. Smoothest shifting car I've ever driven in a manual.
You and me both. My '16 also shifts like a dream. Bone stock and I have no intention of messing with it. My question is why such a big difference depending on the car?

Reactions: MrMac

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
TheBocSez: Does it become uncomfortable in hot or cold weather? Does it get warm/hot if the car has been run for a length of time?
I'm in south Texas so we really don't experience cold, it was in the 20s last week, and while the shift knob did get cold, it wasn't uncomfortable. It did retain the cold for a while though. I haven't driven it in the summer heat yet and on the drives I've take, there was no thermal transfer from the transmission to the shift knob.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I'm in south Texas so we really don't experience cold, it was in the 20s last week, and while the shift knob did get cold, it wasn't uncomfortable. It did retain the cold for a while though. I haven't driven it in the summer heat yet and on the drives I've take, there was no thermal transfer from the transmission to the shift knob.
OK, thanks for the reply. I seem to recall that after I installed the Barton I touched the flat stick to feel for vibrations after driving around for close to an hour in warm weather and the flat stick was pretty warm. Seems like the heat would be conducted into the weighted knob since it is stainless steel/aluminum. I'm in Ohio so it gets cold and hot here. Maybe some teflon tape on the threads of the flat stick would help insulate it.

·
Registered
81 Posts
You and me both. My '16 also shifts like a dream. Bone stock and I have no intention of messing with it. My question is why such a big difference depending on the car?
Mine is a 2010 R/T. They made a few changes since then from what I understand in reading this forum. I noticed in your signature that you used to have a '10... was it smooth also?

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
Mine is a 2010 R/T. They made a few changes since then from what I understand in reading this forum. I noticed in your signature that you used to have a '10... was it smooth also?
Yes, although with my '10 I found it took a while. It got a lot smoother after about 40,000 km. Not sure if broken in nicely or what the deal is.

·
Registered
2019 Challenger 1320
2,236 Posts
The Barton weighted shift knob does make quite a difference, and it is surprisingly heavy, as attached photo show

Attachments

·
Premium Member
781 Posts
So what is the material the knob is made of ? 'Billet' doesn't mean anything and aluminum is not that heavy. Is it solid stainless?

·
Registered
81 Posts
So what is the material the knob is made of ? 'Billet' doesn't mean anything and aluminum is not that heavy. Is it solid stainless?
Looks like the insert might be aluminum, but the main part SS. From the Barton website:

"Fits the Barton Flat Stick Shifter for the 2009-current Challenger

-M12X1.25 thread

-Machined From 303 Stainless Steel.

-Knob weighs 1lb "

·
Registered
2019 Challenger 1320
2,236 Posts
What color is that, flat black or silver vein? Sounds like you like it, does it get too cold or hot?
It's a textured black finish. In all the time I've had the ball installed, I never felt it get hot, or even warmer than normal with my windows down on a hot day. I only use it during "off road" driving, so I haven't used it in the winter and thus can't comment on whether it gets cold...and yes, I really like it.

·
Registered
263 Posts
TheBocSez: Does it become uncomfortable in hot or cold weather? Does it get warm/hot if the car has been run for a length of time?
Here in Phoenix, you'd need a kitchen mitt to use it in the summer time. :flame: :flame: :flame:

·
Registered
716 Posts
1 - 20 of 41 Posts