Premium Member
479 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Super Moderator
09 RT Challenger auto
3,467 Posts
Nice car man. Good numbers also.
Hey I want to ask, the ol 426 wedge. How that old motor pull ?
I wondered if the wedge 426 was as hot as the 440 making steam ?
FT

·
Premium Member
479 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the kind words!

The race ready 426 Max Wedges weren't very drivable. They had nasty solid lifter cams, high compression and needed a lot of tuning to keep them running at their optimum. Back in the day you could go buy one from the local dealer, bolt on a pair of slicks, open the factory cut outs and run elevens. They weren't made for street use. The street version was detuned quite a bit and was not near as fast. In 1964 you could choose either a Wedge or Hemi for the track. No street Hemis were available for a few more years.

Mine is a clone that was originally a 318 Poly car. It falls somewhere betweeen the race and street versions. It does have an authentic cross ram intake and had correct exhaust manifolds which were changed out for TTI headers because the manifolds were scorching the decals on the valve covers. It has a hydraulic cam that still has a lot of good sounding lope but is much more drivable. I also have Edelbrock RPM Performer heads on mine. I wanted something reliable and streetable that I can drive around a bit. In the current tune I think it'll run mid to high twelves. I haven't run it on the track because I'll need to add a drive shaft loop and a shut-off switch since the battery is in the trunk to pass tech. I haven't wanted to cut any holes to do that. I was going to enter it in the True Street Challenge at Mopars At The Strip this year but I decided to run the Barracuda and I can't get both cars plus a fifth wheel to the track.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts