Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So many of the forums here and elsewhere had posts complaining of HAWK HPS pads squealing. The funny part is I have a C5 setup with HPS pads on my 69 Camaro with no issues... Not so on my SRT8. So after about $900 in parts no more NVH.

The final verdict is I removed the HPS pads, went to a Semi metallic OE type pad and a new factory rotors. I'm sad to see the better pad go, but can't live with the constant howl no matter how slow I roll to a stop or ease on the binders for a daily driver. So.. there's a set of HAWK pads up for crucifiction for cheap if anyone is auto crossing here soon... Did you hear that? ahhhh, silence...

·
Premium Member
300 Posts
That's really interesting because I've had the HPS pad for over 18 months and have not had a problem. Did you properly bed them after the install?

·
Premium Member
362 Posts
That's really interesting because I've had the HPS pad for over 18 months and have not had a problem. Did you properly bed them after the install?
Same here. Over 3K miles on the Hawks and not a peep. The only thing is I don't get to clean the wheels as often as I'd like. :bigthumb:

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, followed Hawks bed in procedure to the letter. I have the same pads on my protouring 69 Camaro with a C5 brake setup with no issues and that's why this was such a fight. This isn't the first time I've run this compound and that just added to the bizarre factor. I even spoke with the guys at Hawk, and they said sometimes there are cases where pads just squeal...

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
@RpaulG87 - I spoke with the guys at HAWK (Justin) - they were great and they offered up a set but I had already bought another less aggressive set and bolted the brakes back together. At that point I just needed to get it back on the road.

@the dodgeboys - The Part numbers for the HPS pads are HB194N.570 and HB563.656. Summit Racing numbers are HWK-HB194N-570 and HWK-HB563N-656
They will run you about $240 with shipping.

My advice is clean your rotors with a light cut your rotors or get another set before you you do.

Nick

1 - 9 of 9 Posts