Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone. So I’ve been back and fourth too many times to count on what I want for my build. I think I’ve finally got somwhat of a plan. So id like to hear what you guys think. Anything you’d change recommend. My goal is to keep up with 392s. So my idea was jay Greene stage 1.5 hl cam with the valve train. 392 intake manifold ported. 87mm true mastman throttlw body. Stall converter 3000 or 3500. Can’t decide I’ve just barely started researching them ,or if I should get an entirely different one. I’ve hear our intakes flow well so I’m nkt sure if I’ll change that. If anyone has suggestions I’d love to see. Headers. I’d really like to do long tubes but I’m not sure if I can pass them. My guy said he’ll the visual if it has cats but I’m not sure if I could get rid of the CEL. So if I can’t get those then shorties or SRT manifolds . And finally heads. I don’t want to spend 3k on one set. Should I port my own or buy after market. Thanks for your input

·
Registered
2010 R/T Classic 6M
960 Posts
Hello everyone. So I’ve been back and fourth too many times to count on what I want for my build. I think I’ve finally got somwhat of a plan. So id like to hear what you guys think. Anything you’d change recommend. My goal is to keep up with 392s. So my idea was jay Greene stage 1.5 hl cam with the valve train. 392 intake manifold ported. 87mm true mastman throttlw body. Stall converter 3000 or 3500. Can’t decide I’ve just barely started researching them ,or if I should get an entirely different one. I’ve hear our intakes flow well so I’m nkt sure if I’ll change that. If anyone has suggestions I’d love to see. Headers. I’d really like to do long tubes but I’m not sure if I can pass them. My guy said he’ll the visual if it has cats but I’m not sure if I could get rid of the CEL. So if I can’t get those then shorties or SRT manifolds . And finally heads. I don’t want to spend 3k on one set. Should I port my own or buy after market. Thanks for your input
It would be cheaper to just get a supercharger, and you'd be faster in the end.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It would be cheaper to just get a supercharger, and you'd be faster in the end.
The reason why I dknt get a supercharger is because it’s pushing the motor. It’s 10 grand to install the one I want with everything. I do like the magnuson but when I forge the motor I’ll be stuck at 12 psi. The supercharger I want is the Kenne bell. Polished. If magnuson has a polished one I’d probably get that. So I was thinking cam and fBO Afro a loooooong time till I can forge and get the Kenne bell

·
Registered
2010 R/T Classic 6M
960 Posts
The reason why I dknt get a supercharger is because it’s pushing the motor. It’s 10 grand to install the one I want with everything. I do like the magnuson but when I forge the motor I’ll be stuck at 12 psi. The supercharger I want is the Kenne bell. Polished. If magnuson has a polished one I’d probably get that. So I was thinking cam and fBO Afro a loooooong time till I can forge and get the Kenne bell
They did offer polished but discontinued cuz of low sales, you could maybe try to find a left over one. I paid $5300 for parts on my Magnuson. Of course do what u want but imo if you're already planning on a built motor and supercharger in the future, you'll be disappointed with a mild cam n/a set up. I've already tried it, FBO and 392 cam but I wish I did the blower first. Btw 5.7 is very reliable at 8psi on stock internals, I'm running 7.5psi with a cam and FBO with more room to grow on stock block. And I should say the maggie is good up to about 750-800whp it seems, if that's not enough you may be better off with turbos anyway. It's all about bang for your buck and of course personal preference

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hmmmm
They did offer polished but discontinued cuz of low sales, you could maybe try to find a left over one. I paid $5300 for parts on my Magnuson. Of course do what u want but imo if you're already planning on a built motor and supercharger in the future, you'll be disappointed with a mild cam n/a set up. I've already tried it, FBO and 392 cam but I wish I did the blower first. Btw 5.7 is very reliable at 8psi on stock internals, I'm running 7.5psi with a cam and FBO with more room to grow on stock block. And I should say the maggie is good up to about 750-800whp it seems, if that's not enough you may be better off with turbos anyway. It's all about bang for your buck and of course personal preference
hmmmmm possibly you’re right. I’ve just heard horror stories on 5.7s with boost. Plus the cost . I could get most of the bolt one done myself and the cam I’ve get setup for 4 grand including install. I also have 90k miles in my car. By the time I’ get the supercharger I’d be at 100k maybe 95k so that worries me as well. Where do u get ur Maggie

·
Registered
2010 R/T Classic 6M
960 Posts
Hmmmm

hmmmmm possibly you’re right. I’ve just heard horror stories on 5.7s with boost. Plus the cost . I could get most of the bolt one done myself and the cam I’ve get setup for 4 grand including install. I also have 90k miles in my car. By the time I’ get the supercharger I’d be at 100k maybe 95k so that worries me as well. Where do u get ur Maggie
Yea I'm at 80k miles. Supercharger install was easier than the headers and obviously the cam. Did all labor myself, just a thought tho you'll flip flop for a while before u decide

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I couldn’t do the charger tho. I’d have to pay for that install. Which is way the other one was set at 10 k. Maybe I could find my own way to polish a Maggie. 750 whp is where I’m looking to be I was just going to start with a cam heads combo

·
Registered
2010 R/T Classic 6M
960 Posts
I couldn’t do the charger tho. I’d have to pay for that install. Which is way the other one was set at 10 k. Maybe I could find my own way to polish a Maggie. 750 whp is where I’m looking to be I was just going to start with a cam heads combo
Stock heads flow enough for 750 all day long

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Stock heads flow enough for 750 all day long
Well my short term goal is to hang with 392s . Long term would be nesting hellcats .i figure cam heads and bolt ons with a torque converter should do. As I’ve seen on YouTube by several people. I’ve talked to a guy who netted 98wjp with the 274 cam and hhp heads. But if I could get a Maggie for 5k flat and polish it I would like that as well

·
Registered
2011 gwe srt
421 Posts
if you goal is hellcat territory stop right now. Go and trade you rt on a hellcat. Your first round of mods might make you close to 392 territory but its a big step up and an expensive one to at 200 more hp on to a 392. Your first mod list is going to cost you 10k unless you can do the work yourself. It will stress the motor just like the supercharger will. Maybe not detonation problems but your rings and bearings will be stressed more. ONLY way to fool with hellcats in a supercharger, turbo or massive nitrous with a 5.7 and even with that your not getting to there reliably without a forged short block. Just look at a hellcat. What did the factory do to make it warrantable and that fast. that is what you need to do. No short cuts and they have the advantage of more displacement.

Id go about it different if i were you. My first savings would be for a forged stroker 392 piston set up, a set of headers and a tune. That right there gets you in 392 territory. Next skip all the bs 5hp add ons and save for a supercharger and run 12psi. Then if your not happy get a cam and head work done. but in the end you probably going to spend north of 20k getting there and what did you build? A hellcat that doesnt have near the resale if you decide to go another route. Selling a car that modded is tough.

I know of one srt 392 that was i beautiful shape up here that had been supercharged. It only had 20k on it. Dealer bought it at an auction and didnt have any paper work on it and everyone treated it like it had the plague. It sat all last summer and at least up to mid summer this year. He started at 30k and was down to 23k and still no one would buy it. Last i talked to him he was bringing it to a dyno to at least make sure it was safe. People (most people) dont want a car like that. they know the average guy that builds a 700 hp challenger beats on it. They also know (something else your not keep in mind) that they mod the motor and the trans and rear and driveshafts ect all get neglected (another 10k that the hellcat already addresses) transmissions rear ends and drive shafts are already kind of marginal on the normally asperated challengers. Most likely if you beat them stock your going to eventually have trouble.

I went round and round with myself on my 392. did i want to go headers cam and heads or did i want to go with a 6 psi supercharger. What i came to realize is it is what it is. I put a cat back on it to sound better (the old cat back droned terribly) It had a mopar cold air when i bought it. Then I wasted 500 bucks on a programmer that did little and a couple hundred on a peddle commander because it helped my ram automatic so much. Really did little to the 6 speed car. Im pretty much done. If i was going to do anything else i would be a set of long tubes and a real tune. I dont have to beat hellcats. I know there faster. One thing ive learned through the years is no matter what you do or how fast you think you are theres ALLWAYS someone else that has deeper pockets and made his car faster. I love my srt. I would never sell it but maybe in 4 or 5 years if my health is still with me i might buy a hellcat or by then maybe trx rams might be in my affordability range. Do what you want its your car but i personaly would never throw 20k or more at a 30k car knowing that a year from now when i decide im tired of it that 20k was thrown away.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks fo
if you goal is hellcat territory stop right now. Go and trade you rt on a hellcat. Your first round of mods might make you close to 392 territory but its a big step up and an expensive one to at 200 more hp on to a 392. Your first mod list is going to cost you 10k unless you can do the work yourself. It will stress the motor just like the supercharger will. Maybe not detonation problems but your rings and bearings will be stressed more. ONLY way to fool with hellcats in a supercharger, turbo or massive nitrous with a 5.7 and even with that your not getting to there reliably without a forged short block. Just look at a hellcat. What did the factory do to make it warrantable and that fast. that is what you need to do. No short cuts and they have the advantage of more displacement.

Id go about it different if i were you. My first savings would be for a forged stroker 392 piston set up, a set of headers and a tune. That right there gets you in 392 territory. Next skip all the bs 5hp add ons and save for a supercharger and run 12psi. Then if your not happy get a cam and head work done. but in the end you probably going to spend north of 20k getting there and what did you build? A hellcat that doesnt have near the resale if you decide to go another route. Selling a car that modded is tough.

I know of one srt 392 that was i beautiful shape up here that had been supercharged. It only had 20k on it. Dealer bought it at an auction and didnt have any paper work on it and everyone treated it like it had the plague. It sat all last summer and at least up to mid summer this year. He started at 30k and was down to 23k and still no one would buy it. Last i talked to him he was bringing it to a dyno to at least make sure it was safe. People (most people) dont want a car like that. they know the average guy that builds a 700 hp challenger beats on it. They also know (something else your not keep in mind) that they mod the motor and the trans and rear and driveshafts ect all get neglected (another 10k that the hellcat already addresses) transmissions rear ends and drive shafts are already kind of marginal on the normally asperated challengers. Most likely if you beat them stock your going to eventually have trouble.

I went round and round with myself on my 392. did i want to go headers cam and heads or did i want to go with a 6 psi supercharger. What i came to realize is it is what it is. I put a cat back on it to sound better (the old cat back droned terribly) It had a mopar cold air when i bought it. Then I wasted 500 bucks on a programmer that did little and a couple hundred on a peddle commander because it helped my ram automatic so much. Really did little to the 6 speed car. Im pretty much done. If i was going to do anything else i would be a set of long tubes and a real tune. I dont have to beat hellcats. I know there faster. One thing ive learned through the years is no matter what you do or how fast you think you are theres ALLWAYS someone else that has deeper pockets and made his car faster. I love my srt. I would never sell it but maybe in 4 or 5 years if my health is still with me i might buy a hellcat or by then maybe trx rams might be in my affordability range. Do what you want its your car but i personaly would never throw 20k or more at a 30k car knowing that a year from now when i decide im tired of it that 20k was thrown away.
thanks for the reply. And I really dig the 11-14 models more especially the classics ive been at the dealer ready to trade for a 392 but call me crazy for wasting money I really love mine and would like to make it a sleeper of sorts. I know a member on another site making 740 whp on his 5.7 and could go more. Been running for 5 years no problems and he tracks it. Doesn’t daily it tho. The cam and head combo is only for now. Later I’ll be doing motor work and a Kenne bell. Don’t get me wrong I love hellcats but there’s no way I can afford one and don’t like the interior. Except the steering wheel. I could do a 392. Or I could do your route and supercharge and if that ain’t enough cam and long tube it.ot sure how to pass long tubes tho. I fully understand starting with a higher trim level is financially smarter but hey. I love my whip. It would be years tho till I get the motor work done. I’d be doing my cam head bolt on combo to make it about as fast as a 392 and keep kt like that for at least 3 years. Most of the work I’m doing except the cam. Or I’m getting help so I won’t be paying my normal install cost

78 Posts
Yeah if only they weren't discontinued, Polished Magnuson would be a real pain to find these days

Mention You Are From The Forum For The Best Deals
Check Out The*All NEW BD-F25

Phone: (818) 362-2300
E-Mail: [email protected]

Click here and visit our pages
IG: @BDWheels
FB:
/BlaqueDiamondWheels

1 - 14 of 14 Posts