Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So as a new 392 scat shaker owner I'm curious about others experiences on the road with drivers of other muscle/sports cars. I grew up where my grandmother had a sweet GTO convertible and my grandfather had a sweet Cadillac in mint money green. I remember everyone just being more about the cars, for the most part, and it was more of a respect and appreciation for everyone's ride type of thing. I haven't lived under a rock so I knew these pissing contests happened, but until I actually owned a Challenger I didn't realize how prevalent it was.

For my recent experiences it's mostly just Mustangs and the like revving their engines as you cross paths at a red light or whatever (no biggie). Other Challenger owners act the way you'd expect with more of a fellow respect biker mentality and brotherhood. I imagine that is typical for all owners of the same type of car. More recently though I've had a couple of mega-******s...

A week or so ago a Nissan 370 saw me as I pulled out of a neighborhood and started the "game". For some reason these guys seem to be the worst. No offense intended if someone on here owns one, but just my experience whether I'm in the 392 scat or another car. The guy looked like Lance Bass (Boy band dude with frosted tips). His expression was like a fat kid about to eat cake for X-MAS breakfast you know what I mean? He proceeded to weave in and out of lanes. Revving his engine. Provoking other drivers on the road ahead of me almost hitting people and racing by himself in short bursts as to taunt me to race him. I just laughed at the dude and took my wife to pick up her car which is where we were headed in the first place.

Today I had a Corvette go out of his way to pull up near me at a red light only to rev his engine as loud as he could so everyone knew he was there. I ended up getting through the light where as he had to change lanes and purposefully run the light just to get behind me as to provoke me. I was simply heading home from work and as I turned into my neighborhood he slowed WAY down and proceeded to rev his engine again. All I could do is laugh. I mean this guy clearly expected me to stop and race him. I was just cruising and wanted to get home after sitting in traffic for 1-1/2 hours.

Personally...I didn't purchase an awesome muscle car to help boost/ruin someone else's ego. For me it's all about love of cars in general and especially the Challenger which I just gravitate towards. When I want to get up on it I do. When I want to cruise I do. I mean that's what these things are for is for us to have fun in and just love what we love. Everyone has their own way of handling things like this. So my question for everyone is what experiences/stories do you have with these situations and what was the outcome? Did you race and who won? Did something funny happen? Did something bad happen? You get the idea...

·
Registered
91 Posts
Was out taking my 'sanity and decompression' cruise the other night in the Challenger. Been cruising this same route for 35+ years in everything from my first car, to a 9 second 69 GTO, to a c5 Vette. It just relaxes me after another long stressful day at work.

I especially like this time of year because I can smell the honeysuckle when it first starts to bloom. Reminds me of a time when life was simpler and stress free (in relative terms). Like you stated, I'm not looking to race anyone but I'm also not the least bit shy about putting my foot deep into it when the mood strikes me and opportunity presents itself.

Anyway, I'm sitting at a red light and traffic was really light when some millennial 'soy boy' in his brand new white m3 beemer (no doubt financed by daddy) pulls up next to me and starts revving his engine and looking over at me. I had some Pink Floyd cranked to ear drum melting volumes and I hardly even acknowledged his presence. I know those are turbo v6s and are pretty fast so I left relatively soft and let him holeshot me (been drag racing nearly twice as long as he's been alive) but not by a lot, and and when I got to around 40, I matted it and let the Hemi's torque do it's thing. I blew by him with relative ease and walked right away up into triple digits before I lifted. I saw him slow down and swing a u turn in the rear view mirror and chuckled. I'm sure he went home with hurt feelings.

Old saying we boomers know....HP sells cars, torque wins races.

Perhaps I'll see him again after I do the Procharger install and get the 315s on out back this coming month. ;)

·
Registered
310 Posts
Most of these millennials don't have a clue about cars. Back 2 months ago, I happened to get lucky and rent a 6 cylinder 2018 Challenger from Enterprise Rent A Car for 2 weeks while my 2008 Charger was in the body shop being looked at by my insurance company from the result of an illegal criminal alien hitting my car in a 7-Eleven parking lot. Anyways, I was driving on the highway with the Challenger when one of these millennials in a souped up newer Mustang GT comes up next to me and then floors it to show me that he's something special. A few days later, as I was driving that same 6 cylinder Challenger on the same interstate highway, I saw 5 Dodge Challenger Hellcats pass by me and each and every driver in them gave me the thumbs up sign. I think that Dodge Challenger owners show great respect to other Challenger owners unlike the ones who own Mustangs, Camaros and rice burners. I'm in the process of getting delivery of my brand new 2019 Challenger Scat Pack Wide Body sometime next week and I can't wait to start screwing around with the millennials and with the BMW, Mustang, Camaro and rice burner owners out there who want to screw with me when I'm in my Challenger Wide Body.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
23,550 Posts
I sure see a lot of stereotyping on this forum. Millennials don't know this, etc. There are idiots of every age, race and nationality, I guarantee you. It's quite possible Mustang owners give other Mustang owners the thumbs up as well, Same for Camaros, Vettes, etc. I know people my age that don't have the sense of some millennials. And visa versa I'm sure. There are idiot Challenger drivers, trying to race everything in site, but just like most are not like that, I think most other car owners also are not like that.

Now ricer owners...>:)

A Guy

·
Super Moderator
14,915 Posts
It's fun to put these other guys in their place. I did it, one, to a 1969 Camaro SS, with my 2009 SRT. However, don't take the bait. It's not worth it from a safety standpoint or the risk of getting a hefty ticket from a LEO.

School them at the track.

·
Premium Member
1,456 Posts
I was driving around with the girlfriend this weekend and she commented on the number of Mustangs, Camaros and riced out imports who would pass from the opposite direction and rev their engines. I guess i've become numb to it.

·
Premium Member
445 Posts
2 days ago I was taking my wife out to eat while sitting at a stop light a new Corvette pulls up.
He revs his motor, my wife looks at me, I laugh and say no way I'm competition for a Vet. My wife says, you better not, I say I'm not babe. The Vet lights up his tires leaving the light and I laugh again and say to my wife, he will need new tires soon and when on his 2nd set he will go slower off the line. LOL
My Challenger is for looks not speed I have a quiet riding SXT plus and like it that way. I try to not pay attention to fools on the street wanting to race every car that passes. Even another fellow Challenger the other day was trying to race every person from light to light in rush hour traffic like a person has room for suck acceleration.
I'm 56 and a little wiser and the Vet had XMas lights all over him a mile later as we drive by. LOL he'll learn soon as the cost of insurance just went up for him. LOL

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Love the responses guys. It's interesting to hear others experiences on this. I'm clearly in the brush it off and laugh category. A hefty ticket isn't desired and above all else I actually care about the safety of others and the cargo I carry. I guess for me it's enough to be able to stomp on it and enjoy the experience all by myself. I'm not gonna lie though and admit I bet the satisfaction of actually owning one of these idiots feels really really good. But as we all know anything like that can come with consequences that aren't worth it. Based on all the stories it sounds like there are simply just idiots out there regardless of car or age. As GaryT mentioned I'll probably become numb to it as well the more it happens. I guess I was just surprised at the number of idiots out there for having only owned the scat for a little over a month.

·
Banned
2016 R/T Scat Pack
3,889 Posts
I had some newer Infinity G37 with some hideous wrap pull this non-sense the other day.

Ignored him until it went away, the exhaust sounded like it had a trumpet for a muffler.

Most of these millennials don't have a clue about cars. Back 2 months ago, I happened to get lucky and rent a 6 cylinder 2018 Challenger from Enterprise Rent A Car for 2 weeks while my 2008 Charger was in the body shop being looked at by my insurance company from the result of an illegal criminal alien hitting my car in a 7-Eleven parking lot. Anyways, I was driving on the highway with the Challenger when one of these millennials in a souped up newer Mustang GT comes up next to me and then floors it to show me that he's something special. A few days later, as I was driving that same 6 cylinder Challenger on the same interstate highway, I saw 5 Dodge Challenger Hellcats pass by me and each and every driver in them gave me the thumbs up sign. I think that Dodge Challenger owners show great respect to other Challenger owners unlike the ones who own Mustangs, Camaros and rice burners. I'm in the process of getting delivery of my brand new 2019 Challenger Scat Pack Wide Body sometime next week and I can't wait to start screwing around with the millennials and with the BMW, Mustang, Camaro and rice burner owners out there who want to screw with me when I'm in my Challenger Wide Body.
Funny.

You start berating millenials about doing stupid shit, then turn around and boast about how you can't wait to do stupid shit yourself.

Ain't that some stupid shit.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Since i have had the Challenger now for about 4 months i have seen mostly Mustangs revving as the pass on the opposite side of the streets. I live in a area where WRX's are most dominant around town as well as Mustangs. When i had my 16' Camaro SS i had a few instances where Challengers pulled up to me but not to race just comment on the car as i did theirs. If i hear someone revving their engine or trying to race i let it go. Wreck less driving is a big ticket here and many points on your license and possible jail time. I been clear of tickets for the past 20 years and trying to keep it that way. We all have a ego inside but there is a time and place for it all, Just not in my area or within a 3 hour drive to a drag strip. There is one road near me where a cop sits and radars, its a downhill around a turn 30mph limit. The best is when someone tries to show off at that light and goes down the hill around that turn and the police officer walks right in middle of the road and pulls the son of a *****.

·
Registered
2015 SRT 392
3,330 Posts
I had a young man in an S550 Mustang (2015+) pull up next to me at a light and he gave me "The look" that he wanted some of Ruby (our 2015 SRT 392). I looked over into the gas station that was on the corner where the stop light was and saw a LEO in there, so I thought that I'd have some fun with the Mustang, so I put Ruby in neutral and gave her a quick rev thus prompting this young man into thinking that it's on. He started revving up his Mustang, preparing for what he thought was going to be a race. The light turned green and he took off like a bat out of heck, spinning all the way through the intersection, while I just took off normally.

Less than a block down the road, he was pulled over by the above mentioned LEO. I'd guess that he was ticketed for excessive acceleration and possibly wreckless driving or something like that. I just smiled, turned my music up a bit and continued to cruise.

Moral of the story is that sometimes Wisdom does come with age and that youth and exuberance can be overcome by age and knowledge. :)

·
Registered
2009 B5 SRT8 M6
199 Posts
I have only had my 09 SRT8 for a couple months, and I have not seen too many other 'sporty/muscle' cars on the streets, I am in a pretty rural part of Canada, so that's mostly why, I also am very young for having one of these cars, (18 ATM), and while some assume all young kids are reckless, I try to keep myself under control. I may open her up if I'm pulling onto a road or something, but I am certainly not going out to race, I'm just enjoying the car I worked so hard for. just my 0.02

Reactions: MrMac

·
Registered
2015 SRT, 6 Speed, Sublime Green
1,836 Posts
I have only had my 09 SRT8 for a couple months, and I have not seen too many other 'sporty/muscle' cars on the streets, I am in a pretty rural part of Canada, so that's mostly why, I also am very young for having one of these cars, (18 ATM), and while some assume all young kids are reckless, I try to keep myself under control. I may open her up if I'm pulling onto a road or something, but I am certainly not going out to race, I'm just enjoying the car I worked so hard for. just my 0.02
A very wise beyond your years approach.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Well I think my wife is the worst offender lately. She just flames the fire.
She in the passenger seat loves to see everyone look at my F8.
But we always seem to find these guys in the big trucks or rice burners want to ride my bumper. I bet if I was to put it in reverse and take a picture I could see the color of their eyes in my rear view camera.

One time lately I recall this guy was taunting me really bad, the look, him and his buddy, window down, trying to get me to roll my window down, revving engine, in and out of traffic, gets in front of me slows down, I go around him, he passes me, he slows down, all this bulls....
She says its time to get away from this dumb... hes going to cause an accident.

So he backed off at about 110. Figured his truck was going to fall apart at 110.

Please teach me the patience to just laugh at these morons.

Thank you for these stories, they actually show me how I should act lol.

I agree with you guys, I worked way to damn hard to earn this car to get tickets or ruin it.

But there are days I just can't take it, I come from a long line of drag racers.

·
Registered
6,352 Posts
You should see the crap you get when your car backfires between shifts...... (AMG thing)

I've had a lot of folks "Show me" !!! lol

·
Registered
319 Posts
lov'in it. Way better sound than a tesla will ever make. Secondly, I'm just glad that young and old alike appreciate sports and muscle cars and trucks. Electric sucks...

1 - 20 of 23 Posts