Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
so......went in to get an oil change saturday. saw a black se, same options as mine, G package, rallye package.
black was my first choice, but fell in love with the inferno red.
decided to ask the question.....what can you do for me?

the car, a 2010, was purchased by me april 28th. i paid 26,500 for it.
it depreciated over 7K in less than a year? with 15,000 miles on it?
i knew there would be SOME depreciation, but not that much.
they told me they would give me the black one for the same price as i paid for the red one, which to me seemed odd, (and of course i told them so) that if you are getting the 11's in, why keep the price up on the 10's? so......after looking at the numbers.....i could probably get an 11 for just a bit more, which again seemed odd, so i asked, is the 10 just a bad deal, or is the 11 a great one? they mentioned the financing is different on the 11's, a bit higher, so the price is a little less.

anyway......another day at the dealer....thought i'd share.

·
Registered
3,380 Posts
15,000 miles & 1 year old....$7k sounds about right

remember they have to resell it and make a few thousand too...Plus theirs a major engine upgrade for 2011 which makes your 2010 less desirable..

·
Registered
4,564 Posts
15,000 miles & 1 year old....$7k sounds about right

remember they have to resell it and make a few thousand too...Plus theirs a major engine upgrade for 2011 which makes your 2010 less desirable..
Yeah, priced at only about $1400 more & with a full list of upgrades, including more HP, the resale value of 09/10 SE models is gonna get slammed.

I can't complain though, because the price of mine was lowered enough to make it affordable & therefore obtainable. That may not be the case had I waited for the 2011 year end deals. Who knows, maybe by the end of the year I'll be kicking myself. :indifferent:

I agree though, that trying to sell an identical 2010 Challenger to you in February 2011 for the same price that you paid in April 2010 is asinine. :notallthere:

·
Registered
9,272 Posts
since I'm keeping mine it has not depreciated 1 penny in value :bigthumb:

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
I paid a little over 20K for my 09, with 22,000 miles on it + 20" OEM rims, trade in is about 18.5K (blue book whole sale), depending of course on what I buy... as some dealers really need to move some stock, hey I thought I just got an offer in the mail for $4000 off any 6 speed hemi? + my 1800 on my credit card for a new car, plus what ever I can knock off list... If you going to trade your ride in for more power... um just get a hemi.

·
Registered
574 Posts
That's not bad honestly. I wouldn't pay $19k for an SE with 15k miles on it, maybe a new one but that's it. You paid $26k for it? People are selling RTs for that and less! And to top it off they "WILL" sell the the black 2010 SE at same price, $26k? Why not just get an RT instead? I would NEVER pay $26k for a 10 SE unless it had a SC in it.

Sorry, just my 2 cents

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
This is to be expected. Anyone thinking they bought a Challenger to be an instant hi value mobile wasn't...... ummm thinking.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
That's not bad honestly. I wouldn't pay $19k for an SE with 15k miles on it, maybe a new one but that's it. You paid $26k for it? People are selling RTs for that and less! And to top it off they "WILL" sell the the black 2010 SE at same price, $26k? Why not just get an RT instead? I would NEVER pay $26k for a 10 SE unless it had a SC in it.

Sorry, just my 2 cents

i paid 26.5 for it with the rallye package and g package.
i looked around, and felt that was a good deal.
plus it has a sunroof.
i was happy with what i paid.

people may be selling rt's NOW for that price, but not new. they would be used.
i wouldn't be trading my used car for another used one. i'd want a new one. i put a LOT (as you can tell) miles on my car every year. over 18K.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
This is to be expected. Anyone thinking they bought a Challenger to be an instant hi value mobile wasn't...... ummm thinking.

ummmm.....didn't buy it thinking it was going to be an instant high value car.
and i'm well aware (as i said before) that cars lose value.

just simply posed the question to the dealer, about trading in for the same car, different color, no miles. didn't like the answer, so i won't be doing it.

not sure if anyone else had tried to do this before, so wanted to post what i went through.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
since I'm keeping mine it has not depreciated 1 penny in value :bigthumb:

LOL!!! This, I concur!!!!

Wife and I have a goal of owning it 25 years. Or until the Energy Police come and try to take it away...... but then it might be a real life case of Rush's song, Red Barchetta, but only with a Brilliant Black Challenger.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
ummmm.....didn't buy it thinking it was going to be an instant high value car.
and i'm well aware (as i said before) that cars lose value.

just simply posed the question to the dealer, about trading in for the same car, different color, no miles. didn't like the answer, so i won't be doing it.

not sure if anyone else had tried to do this before, so wanted to post what i went through.
No worries, the comment wasn't really directed at anyone in particular. I think most people don't know just how bad car depreciation is.

I had a similar situation with my last new car. I couldn't keep up with the depreciation even trying to make larger than normal payments. It was impossible month to month to keep up with it's loss.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
No worries, the comment wasn't really directed at anyone in particular. I think most people don't know just how bad car depreciation is.

I had a similar situation with my last new car. I couldn't keep up with the depreciation even trying to make larger than normal payments. It was impossible month to month to keep up with it's loss.
that is why it took me forever to finally decide to GET a new car.
i brought a jeep 2 years ago when they were giving them away, kept it for 14 months, had no interest on the payment, so i had plenty of equity, which i used to put down on my challenger.

i got spoiled, but was not expecting the same with the challenger.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts