Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have an RT Classic. There are three references to the rear axle on the window sticker.

Under the base RT description
3.73 Rear Axle Ratio

Under the Classic package
3.92 Rear Axle Ratio

Under the Super Track Pack
3.06 Rear Axle Ratio

What do I really have? In fact, can someone just give me a simple explanation of what this means to me?

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
If you have a 6-speed with 20" wheels its most likely a 3.92 rear gear. Only way its going to have a 3.06 is if its an auto. The 3.73 is the option for a 6 speed with 18" wheels.

·
Registered
834 Posts
Same here, love my Challenger but do miss the Charger more than I thought I would.
First car I truly loved owning.

·
Premium Member
208 Posts
The only way to be sure is crawl underneath and check on the rearend housing. My '09 R/T classic was suppose to have 3.92's cause I have the 20 inch wheels but the housing has a little white sticker that says 3.73.:smokin:MOPARS RULE!!!Wolffy:smokin:

·
Premium Member
116 Posts
I just bought my 2011 Toxic orange with an Auto and the dealer said I have the 3:92 rear because of the Classic package. I was confused as well with the window sticker having three different ratios. I guess I'll be crawling under the car to find out. :D

·
Registered
125 Posts
All auto transmissions have 3.06 gear with R/T and SRT. Only the six cylinder is different. There should be no confusion.

·
Premium Member
116 Posts
All auto transmissions have 3.06 gear with R/T and SRT. Only the six cylinder is different. There should be no confusion.
Strange that the window sticker has three different ratios and the dealer would tell me that I have the 3:92 rear. I would say it is confusing. I guess the only way to tell for sure is crawl underneath the car. :D

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
I just bought my 2011 Toxic orange with an Auto and the dealer said I have the 3:92 rear because of the Classic package...
Yet another dealer/sales guy that doesn't have a clue about the product they are selling. No way an auto is coming from the factory with a 3.92 rear gear. Sure like that toxic orange though!

·
Premium Member
116 Posts
Yet another dealer/sales guy that doesn't have a clue about the product they are selling. No way an auto is coming from the factory with a 3.92 rear gear. Sure like that toxic orange though!
I agree. The sales guy was nice and all, but you're right, not very knowledgeable. I was specific with my question to him since it was a bit confusing to understand. I do love the Toxic Orange though and I am very happy with the purchase, especially being my first Dodge purchase ever. :D

·
Registered
145 Posts
My loves, in order were:

1971 Charger

1987 Buick Grand National

2006 Charger

2011 Challenger

I have been quite fortunate.
Ive got a few of those 87 turbo regals sitting in the toy box:) aka the garage :guiness: Plus a 89 turbo trans am i just sold last week, going to canada....

Nice choice in cars!

·
Registered
13 Posts
My dealer also stated my order for a 2011 classic has a 3.92 with a automatic. The spec sheet I have from dodge on the 28M package (classic) which is for a automatic transmission only specially states a 3.92 with the 20 inch wheels otherwise I would assume 3.73. A footnote states the 3.06 is no longer a option. Did this change for 2011??

·
Registered
940 Posts
Well maybe some of the 2011 owner's will post and let us know for sure. I've not heard of the change, but I have been wrong before.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
My dealer also stated my order for a 2011 classic has a 3.92 with a automatic....
And, once again, another dealer/salesman that has no clue about what they are selling. Gearing for 2011 Challengers according to Allpar:

The 392 has the same 3.06 behind an automatic, as per this article from Edmunds. A 3.92 gear behind a 5 speed automatic would be tall gearing for a factory car.

Sorry guys, but your dealer/sales guys are full of it.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts