Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I just wanted to share my experience to see if anyone can help me because at this point I’m desperate.
I have a 2017 dodge Challenger which I bought in 2017 with 0 miles on it. A few months after I bought I started having issues with the Touchscreen that controls the radio, navigation, apps, etc. etc. The Screen wasn’t turning on with the car I was completely black. I had to turn the car off completely and turn it back on for the screen to turn on. I took the car to the dealer where I bought from (in San Diego CA) and they replaced the screen once after dealing with terrible customer service. A couple of months went by after they replaced the screen and it did it again once again I had to pretty much fight with the dealer for them to check the car and replace the screen again. The dealer told me that if this issue occurred again I had to contact Chrysler directly. About a year went by and my navigation with is in the same screen stopped working so I took it to a different dealer since the experience I had on the first dealer was horrible (I also moved to a different city due to work) this new dealer (in San Leandro CA) honestly is a joke. I don’t want to get into details because is too much to type but it was worse than the San Diego one although in Sand Diego the technician that replaced the screen broke the plastic that goes around the screen and he had the nerve to leave it like that and complete his work order. I decided to take my car to a different dealer by my workplace (in Burlingame CA) I explained to them the history of the car and they took the car. My service person recommended me to do the 30K service on my car since I was leaving the car there. I agree to this that same day they told me that my car was ready from the 30kservice they did but as far as the screen/navigation issue they needed to talk to Chrysler and make arrangements with them (at this point I had a case open Chrysler for this issue) I drove the car home which is about 20miles from the dealer parked the car and didn’t move it until the next day when I attempted to drive to work. The car didn’t turn on the check engine light was on and the following message was displaying “Power Steering Assist Off” I had the car towed to the dealer and they had the car for 3 days to then call me and tell me that my battery was bad that they replaced it and the car is now working, however, the main issue the reason why I took the car wasn’t resolved and they told me to take the car to the previous dealer for them to fix it. From this point on there has been too many calls between Chrysler, mi case manager and my service adviser every conversation is he said I said they said. The dealer blames Chrysler for not being proactive and Chrysler the Dealer. This has been a nightmare and is ridiculous I have spent hours on the phone trying to get a whole of the dealer and my case manager and I always get the same response is the dealers fault no is Chrysler fault. Here’s a great example of this the dealer had the car for a week now they call me 2days ago to go pick up my car that it was now running then I called Chrysler and they said no leave the car at the dealer. Today I got a call from the dealer saying that if I don’t pick up the car today they are going to start charging a storage fee because they haven’t heard any further instructions from Chrysler. Then I get a call from Chrysler saying just go get your car because the upper management at the dealer is not responding. My car now has 31k miles and pretty soon my warranty will expire.

Can anyone help me? I really don’t know what to do anymore.

·
Registered
451 Posts
So - from an Engineering perspective (where my brain goes first) - it really seems like you have an electrical issue from the factory in that car. Having to replace the screen several times tells me that the power signal being sent to it is likely out of spec, causing it to burn up the screen. No idea on specifics, maybe someone else can help that has history with this sort of issue.

Regarding the sh!t brained dealers you've been dealing with - that's horrific. I recommend you contact the Better Business Bureau, and tell FCA you are doing it. Then go to a different dealer from the ones you've been, and hope for someone that's not an idiot. They need to investigate the electrical system in that car because I would bet there is something sideways in the electrical system.

Reactions: MorrisGray

·
Registered
Phantom Black SXT+ 100th Anniversay
309 Posts
I bought mine at a small mom and pop dealership here in RI. Was the best dealership experience I ever had. Personal service, got to drive the car just me and my wife for as long as we wanted, all questions answered, great service and a great deal. If I were you, I’d look around locally on the Internet for another one and traded in and get yourself a new one. Sounds like too many headaches to deal with. Let someone else deal with it. Just my .0 2

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So - from an Engineering perspective (where my brain goes first) - it really seems like you have an electrical issue from the factory in that car. Having to replace the screen several times tells me that the power signal being sent to it is likely out of spec, causing it to burn up the screen. No idea on specifics, maybe someone else can help that has history with this sort of issue.

Regarding the sh!t brained dealers you've been dealing with - that's horrific. I recommend you contact the Better Business Bureau, and tell FCA you are doing it. Then go to a different dealer from the ones you've been, and hope for someone that's not an idiot. They need to investigate the electrical system in that car because I would bet there is something sideways in the electrical system.

I agree with you is a no brainer since more electrical issues are coming up. I picked up the car today from the dealer and they said it was just the battery. The screen/navigation issue is still unsolved. According to Chrysler i need to wait until they escalate my case with upper management at the dealer.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
At this point I'm considering trading the car in for something else. This is putting to much stress on me.

·
Registered
Phantom Black SXT+ 100th Anniversay
309 Posts
At this point I'm considering trading the car in for something else. This is putting to much stress on me.
Hate to see you leave the Challenger community. Every car make and model can have a lemon. If you really love the Challenger you should probably just get another one.

·
Premium Member
214 Posts
Get all your service records together and then contact the Better Business Bureau to make a lemon law claim against the dealer.

I had a 2015 Silverado that I dubbed the Shakerado because of vibrations and the dealer changed the tires, balanced them multiple times, replaced the wheels, shocks, drive shaft, serviced the rear axel, etc... and was giving me the runaround. Finally I contacted the BBB to file a lemon law claim and after meeting with them and the GM general manager who was fighting against them buying it back, the BBB made a ruling in my case that GM had to buy it back from me for what I paid for it minus a small fee for the mileage I put on the truck before I first reported it.

Bottom line, it was a hassle dealing with the dealerships and GM but in the end they had to buy it back and it only cost me $900 for the mileage and I had the truck for 18 months.

Reactions: MorrisGray

·
Registered
2020 Dodge Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack
3,741 Posts
Hello,
I just wanted to share my experience to see if anyone can help me because at this point I’m desperate.
I have a 2017 dodge Challenger which I bought in 2017 with 0 miles on it. A few months after I bought I started having issues with the Touchscreen that controls the radio, navigation, apps, etc. etc. The Screen wasn’t turning on with the car I was completely black. I had to turn the car off completely and turn it back on for the screen to turn on. I took the car to the dealer where I bought from (in San Diego CA) and they replaced the screen once after dealing with terrible customer service. A couple of months went by after they replaced the screen and it did it again once again I had to pretty much fight with the dealer for them to check the car and replace the screen again. The dealer told me that if this issue occurred again I had to contact Chrysler directly. About a year went by and my navigation with is in the same screen stopped working so I took it to a different dealer since the experience I had on the first dealer was horrible (I also moved to a different city due to work) this new dealer (in San Leandro CA) honestly is a joke. I don’t want to get into details because is too much to type but it was worse than the San Diego one although in Sand Diego the technician that replaced the screen broke the plastic that goes around the screen and he had the nerve to leave it like that and complete his work order. I decided to take my car to a different dealer by my workplace (in Burlingame CA) I explained to them the history of the car and they took the car. My service person recommended me to do the 30K service on my car since I was leaving the car there. I agree to this that same day they told me that my car was ready from the 30kservice they did but as far as the screen/navigation issue they needed to talk to Chrysler and make arrangements with them (at this point I had a case open Chrysler for this issue) I drove the car home which is about 20miles from the dealer parked the car and didn’t move it until the next day when I attempted to drive to work. The car didn’t turn on the check engine light was on and the following message was displaying “Power Steering Assist Off” I had the car towed to the dealer and they had the car for 3 days to then call me and tell me that my battery was bad that they replaced it and the car is now working, however, the main issue the reason why I took the car wasn’t resolved and they told me to take the car to the previous dealer for them to fix it. From this point on there has been too many calls between Chrysler, mi case manager and my service adviser every conversation is he said I said they said. The dealer blames Chrysler for not being proactive and Chrysler the Dealer. This has been a nightmare and is ridiculous I have spent hours on the phone trying to get a whole of the dealer and my case manager and I always get the same response is the dealers fault no is Chrysler fault. Here’s a great example of this the dealer had the car for a week now they call me 2days ago to go pick up my car that it was now running then I called Chrysler and they said no leave the car at the dealer. Today I got a call from the dealer saying that if I don’t pick up the car today they are going to start charging a storage fee because they haven’t heard any further instructions from Chrysler. Then I get a call from Chrysler saying just go get your car because the upper management at the dealer is not responding. My car now has 31k miles and pretty soon my warranty will expire.

Can anyone help me? I really don’t know what to do anymore.
My limited experience with the San Leandro dealer was pretty good. Jose the shop foreman I believe was super when I had my Hellcat in for an A8 +paddle shift issue. The time before I had the car in for two new rear tires due a puncture in the left rear tire.

Likely the problem is deeper than just a bad LCD unit probably is in the wiring harness somewhere and typically these kinds of problems are real difficult to nail down. I've seen other brands of vehicles in the shop with some thing similar and the car's interior is stripped right down the sheet metal because the wiring harness often goes in first.

A big part of the reason you bought the car was you were assured if anything arose any dealer could properly service/repair the car. It is not like you are taking the car to an appliance repair shop, you are taking the car to a Dodge, more than one, Dodge dealer. The dealer saying Chrysler has to get involved and the Chrysler kicking you back to the dealer is just stalling, hoping you go away, tire and get rid of the car and never bother either again. Every auto dealer/car maker has a few of these and while you likely -- if you chose to do this -- switch to another brand, your counter part at the other brand will be moving over to Dodge.

The dealer owes you a reasonable degree of skill experience and care. You ain't getting that.

Contact your local (county) consumer fraud division and detail what's been going on. Be sure you note the name of whom you talked, know the phone number by heart, know the address of the building. You want the dealer to know you have been in serious contact regarding the treatment you have received.

Also, contact the Bureau of Automotive Repair and see what it has to say. I only had to mention I was going to contact BAR and the body shop owner reacted like I had stuck him with a sharp object. And I got my car fixed right, too.

In the past I've been told to return to the dealer and try to work out a suitable solution. But I was sure to let the dealer know I was there on the advice/counsel of a case worker I spoke to at the -- insert name and address of the consumer fraud agency you talked to here -- and you are making an honest effort to get this resolved to your satisfaction. Make no threats. Don't get angry. Stay calm. Be sure you note who you talk to -- the service manager/general manager not some one any lower down the ladder -- and when and what was said. You can't record the conversation but you can take notes and that alone gets the dealer's attention.

When you get told something will be done ask within what time frame. The idea is to tell you anything to get you to go away. In this same vein you must be prepared to leave the car -- with it in writing you will not be charged storage while the dealer and factory play patty cake.

Stress you have lost all enjoyment of the use of the car. The car is worthless to you and you can't just try to dump the car on some other owner or business via for instance as a trade in to another car.

Either the car gets fixed to your satisfaction or the dealer/factory agree to a buyback or you pursue any any all legal paths open to you to get this resolved to your satisfaction.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts