Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,
I’ve got a 2015 Challenger SXT Plus, 3.6L V6, 64,000 KMs (40,000 miles roughly). Lately I’ve been hearing this odd ticking/knocking noise on Rev down. It doesn’t seem to happen when I accelerate, but it’s very clear when I lift the gas pedal. The noise sounds like it’s coming from the front.
Now I just had my front brakes changed. The. noise was happening before, and I thought it may have been the brakes. But that didn’t remedy anything.
I have a link to a video I took. The first bit, my phone is sitting on my cup holder, then I hold it down near the glove box on the passenger side.
I’m bringing it in to a mechanic because I think the dealer will try to screw me like they did for my brakes ($810 CAD for the front)
Any idea what it could be before I take her in?

·
Registered
2020 Dodge Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack
3,678 Posts
Hard to diagnose noises especially with the recording device in the car and the source of the noise suspected of being from the engine area.

At idle I heard a noise that could be (could be) from a noisy water pump. Not being familiar with the car it might just be normal noise.

The tech you take the car too will listen and make his professional diagnosis. You should not have to suggest to the tech what he might look for. If he doesn't know you should not have the car in his care.

If the tech suspects the water pump -- or really anything with the accessory drive -- he can remove the accessory drive belt and check the pump for any bearing play. 'course he can check the other accessory drives and any idlers/tensioner roller bearings for signs of same.

It is a relative simple thing to get the car in the air and check carefully for any signs of anti-freeze residue. The water evaporates but leaves a white residue. In more severe cases a build up of -- in my experience - a greenish blob of anti-freeze will be present.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
9,274 Posts
Is it me or does it sound like the noise does not seem to track with engine RPM? Don't the 3.6 engines run an electronic vacuum pump? Could that be it?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Turns out the heat shield from my after market exhaust system got banged up somehow and was touching the drive shaft. Mechanic spotted it within 15 mins. I feel pretty stupid. BUT, most importantly, she’s back to normal. Thanks for the responses guys!

·
Registered
2020 Dodge Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack
3,678 Posts
Turns out the heat shield from my after market exhaust system got banged up somehow and was touching the drive shaft. Mechanic spotted it within 15 mins. I feel pretty stupid. BUT, most importantly, she’s back to normal. Thanks for the responses guys!
Glad you got it sorted and it wasn't anything serious.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts