Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

41 - 60 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Very sorry about the bad news. It looks like a portion of the roof is buckled. With all the other damage, it’s probably going to be totaled. Sucks, I know.

Good luck with whatever way you go. At least you’re not injured.

Bill D

·
Registered
29 Posts
I agree with decapitation. Then burn the body.
We have to draw a line and do something about these worthless wastes of space. Just because you are a human being should not be just cause to screw up every other human beings life with zero accountability.
Did we all forget that rules and laws do not apply today?

We are now Uncivilized! Is that "progressive"?

·
Premium Member
4,348 Posts
I’m glad you’re ok. Sorry about your car. I was just recently in one myself last month. Person in front me slammed on their brakes, which caused me to do the same. The guy rear ended me & caused me to hit the person in front of me. He was speeding & probably distracted. He luckily had insurance, although it was a weird company. It’s been a nightmare dealing with them. Total damage to my car was $10,300. It’s been repaired since last week, but I haven’t been able to pick it up because the insurance still owes the body shop 1 more supplement check, which was for my left muffler, which ended up being $3500 alone
$3500 for a muffler? Did it spray gold exhaust fumes? That's more than these people wanted for their cat, which [email protected] gold apparently.

Reactions: grandpa-srt4

·
Registered
85 Posts
I'm glad you are ok.

Have your insurance company sue her and when she can't pay, do a wage garnishment.

Court Ordered wage garnishments get you money back, albeit slowly. The good part is that if they choose not to work, they go to jail if they don't get a job within a certain amount of time.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I'm glad you are ok.

Have your insurance company sue her and when she can't pay, do a wage garnishment.

Court Ordered wage garnishments get you money back, albeit slowly. The good part is that if they choose not to work, they go to jail if they don't get a job within a certain amount of time.
I’m sure the OP was being fasciitis but was feeling that way at the time. I would let them live but there should be a stronger penalty for being uninsured.

You’re driving a Cadillac but don’t have insurance. WTF. This is extra annoying because I have a friend who’s a cop and I know what percentage of people drive around like that in my area.

By the way what does your childhood have to do with your responsibilities as an adult. Your tough up bringing isn’t everyone else’s problems. Plenty of great people started out terrible.
The penalty for them being uninsured is us paying for uninsured.......

Do you need to think about that for a while?

·
Registered
2020 Scat Pack, Octane red, A8
139 Posts
So all the above being said, glad you’re doing okay considering the circumstances. Should be totaled from what I can see. This is almost identical to my crash last year except the a**hole hit my driver’s side.

After going rounds with his and my insurance it was totaled and my insurance stepped in with my underinsured policy. Because of course sh** for brains only carried $10k liability driving an Audi R6 twin turbo... street racing with 4 of his equally stupid friends. I feel ya man, I was sick, loved that car. Even worse when I pulled up the Copart ad to see my baby damaged and shoved in a muddy corner of the auction lot. It gets better when insurance settles and you start the replacement search. I went for a factory build on my current and love it with MY options. Hang in there.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
Very sorry about the bad news. It looks like a portion of the roof is buckled. With all the other damage, it’s probably going to be totaled. Sucks, I know.

Good luck with whatever way you go. At least you’re not injured.

Bill D
Thanks
Yes, the roof is buckled.

So all the above being said, glad you’re doing okay considering the circumstances. Should be totaled from what I can see. This is almost identical to my crash last year except the a**hole hit my driver’s side. View attachment 1019227
After going rounds with his and my insurance it was totaled and my insurance stepped in with my underinsured policy. Because of course sh** for brains only carried $10k liability driving an Audi R6 twin turbo... street racing with 4 of his equally stupid friends. I feel ya man, I was sick, loved that car. Even worse when I pulled up the Copart ad to see my baby damaged and shoved in a muddy corner of the auction lot. It gets better when insurance settles and you start the replacement search. I went for a factory build on my current and love it with MY options. Hang in there.
Damn, that is the same, but the other size. Hope you were okay.
They picked up the car to be taken to Copart yesterday.
Doesn't sound good.
I have to let it go and start again. Hopefully a SRT next time.
Thanks

·
Registered
719 Posts
Was in a center turn lane about to make a left turn. All of a sudden I get hit in the right back corner by a 2005 Cadillac driven by a 30 year old woman, who was on her cellphone. She was not paying attention and drifted into the center turn lane. The speed limit is 40 mph in this area. Her left front tire hit by back right tire. It pushed the the whole wheel assembly forward into the quarter panel. It even broke the brake line. To make matters worse, the registration was out on her car and no insurance. I'm feeling that it might be totaled.
What do you think?
The last picture was her car after they pulled it off of my car.
View attachment 1019212
View attachment 1019165
View attachment 1019166
View attachment 1019167
View attachment 1019168
View attachment 1019171
View attachment 1019172
View attachment 1019210
View attachment 1019173
Regardless of the damage, bottom line is that you're ok; considering. Whether it's totaled is a tough call...maybe. Others in this and another forum have suffered similar situations. I have a post of what happened to mine just because I was having an extra key fob programmed. Now the entire left side of mine has to be painted. Keep us updated. Depending on your state laws, you might be able to get diminished value; it's just that sometimes it's worth it and sometimes it's not. I just got a collector's car policy on mine because of my fear of the idiots we have driving where I live.

·
Premium Member
575 Posts
Sorry, this has happened. Nothing worse than a "not my fault" accident and now you will have to jump through the insurance BS.

My guess is that your car is totalled and frankly you probably want ti that way. Suspension bends and whole quarter panel section removal/replace is a lot of work.

Console yourself with looking for a replacement Challenger. I see you are in the Metroplex (I'm in Southlake) and there are a lot of Challengers in the market.

·
Registered
37 Posts
The fact is it is to easy to get away with screwing someones life up. The car is an object and can be replaced. If their stupidity crushes your spine and you no longer have the quality of life you had before the stupid act they committed, what then?
Progressive? Good lord. Barbaric is what needs to happen. When these idiots start losing hands or feet you will see things change dramatically.
Oh thats not civilized. When you lose a child or loved one to an idiot that cant seem to figure out uber, lyft, or public transportation then tell me how you feel.

·
Registered
2015 Challenger R/T Plus 8 Speed
7,604 Posts
I’m sure the OP was being fasciitis but was feeling that way at the time. I would let them live but there should be a stronger penalty for being uninsured.

You’re driving a Cadillac but don’t have insurance. WTF. This is extra annoying because I have a friend who’s a cop and I know what percentage of people drive around like that in my area.

By the way what does your childhood have to do with your responsibilities as an adult. Your tough up bringing isn’t everyone else’s problems. Plenty of great people started out terrible.
Here in Ohio you sign under threat of perjury that you have insurance when you renew your plates or license. Guess how many people actually get charged with perjury. I'll give you a hint, it's less than 1 person.

·
Premium Member
1,132 Posts
I’m glad you’re ok. Sorry about your car. I was just recently in one myself last month. Person in front me slammed on their brakes, which caused me to do the same. The guy rear ended me & caused me to hit the person in front of me. He was speeding & probably distracted. He luckily had insurance, although it was a weird company. It’s been a nightmare dealing with them. Total damage to my car was $10,300. It’s been repaired since last week, but I haven’t been able to pick it up because the insurance still owes the body shop 1 more supplement check, which was for my left muffler, which ended up being $3500 alone

View attachment 1019201 View attachment 1019202
I can't imagine $3500 for a muffler. Something is off, maybe that is why the payment isn't going through? You may want to check into that, that seems really off to me.

I thought about this more... Probably replacing the entire exhaust system... Still an extreme dollar amount.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Glad you are ok. In NY we have such high rates b/c a good chunk of people driving dont have insurance. Us chumps have to pick up the slack. happy hunting finding a new one.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
Sorry, this has happened. Nothing worse than a "not my fault" accident and now you will have to jump through the insurance BS.

My guess is that your car is totalled and frankly you probably want ti that way. Suspension bends and whole quarter panel section removal/replace is a lot of work.

Console yourself with looking for a replacement Challenger. I see you are in the Metroplex (I'm in Southlake) and there are a lot of Challengers in the market.
Thanks
I have been looking some online.

·
Registered
2020 Dodge Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack
3,653 Posts
Sorry to learn of the accident. Glad of course there were no injuries.

Uninsured motorists suck. In CA 1 in 5 is uninsured. Check that. In CA 1 in 5 has his "insurance" paid for by the 4 out of 5 that carry insurance and pay an uninsured/under insured driver premium. Aka suckers.

Totaled or not totaled? The impact looks to be severe and has damaged not only sheet metal but drive train and rear suspension, and at least one vital fluid system, brakes.

There is a time to fall in love with a car but also a time to fall out of love with a car. Given the accident I think now is the time for you to fall out of love with the car.

You want to insist the car be taken to the best body repair shop -- one that doesn't have any business arrangement with your insurance company -- and let the estimate of the damage be done.

From my (recent) experience the insurance company adjuster will examine the car 1st and then the body shop unless the insurance company adjuster believes the car is damaged severely enough to be declared a total loss.

The car will need to be torn down -- wheels/tires and bumper covers and some other things -- and checked for "frame" damage. This is done by using a Celette Bench and special fixtures/gauges to check the hard points are in the right position. If these are not they either must be pulled or by some means brought into the right position or the fit of the various sheetmetal/other hardware will not be correct. This bench work is time consuming and insurance companies balk at paying for it.

But this type of damage needs to be checked for -- almost certainly your car has sustained some level of this damage -- and properly repaired. The cost to do this might tip the scales to having the insurance company delcare the car a total loss and this is I think in this case the best outcome.

·
Super Moderator
16,627 Posts
what the OP described sounds like the typical opiate user that's on the roads today

I'm sorry to hear of the incident, but that was a hard hit - enough to bend the wheel no less. As extensive as the damage is

- you've got inner / outer quarter, probably trunk floor, rear subframe / rear floorpan deformation and the entire outer skin and roof skin up to the weld seam.

That's probably > $25k in repairs just to start with.

·
Registered
2016 Challenger R/T Scat Pack Pitch Black A8
222 Posts
Sorry to hear about your accident. Glad you are okay.I wish you luck dealing with your insurance company. Hopefully they will take care of you. Good luck 👍

41 - 60 of 84 Posts